When doing business, the rate a seller fixes to sell their products and services at and the rate they end up selling them at marks a difference in price. This difference between the two rates the variance of sales or sales variance. In economic parlance, this variance can be ‘favorable’ and ‘unfavorable’. Favorable when you sell them at a higher price than you planned and unfavorable if you fail to sell them even at the targeted price or the standard price.
If you are worried about your sales and its performance, you have landed at the correct place. When you are selling something, you would want to keep an eye on its performance. Sales variance is the way to analyze how much revenue your sales could bring for your firm. It also gives you a vivid picture of the market conditions and competition.
What are the Types of Sales Variance?
- Sales Price Variance- It shows the difference rate in the total revenue collected. This difference rate arises from the planned rate of sale and the actual rate of sales of a product or a service. The formula to calculate this is- Actual Quantity Sold * (actual price – planned price).
- Sales Volume Variance- It measures the profit of the entire sold content in business session. It does so by measuring the difference between the actual quantities sold, and the amount expected for sale, and this difference is then multiplied by the budgeted rate per every unit. The formula to calculate it is: (Actual Unit Sold- Budgeted Units Sold)*Budgeted Price Per Unit
What are the Reasons for Sales Variance?
For every effect, there is always a cause, and it is right in case of business too. There are different reasons for differences to arise in the sales price rates and to note them in detail we have cited the following points:
- Apart from being an old survivor and one of the first choices of the customers, market competition is always vulnerable to your business. This is a situation when you might lower down your price rate to keep your audience engaged with your brand because there are many other options waiting for them in the market. With emerging technology and smart marketing ideas, companies are taking over the audience every day. Thus variance in your selling price can appear by your company’s products and services price drop in such a situation.
- One more reason is if your profit is arising by selling products or services in bulk and you have taken a unit selling target, but you fail to meet it. Here, you would face a variance in your sales profit.
How to Prevent Variance in Sales?
Controlling the external factors to affect your sales rate is not possible, but you can prevent it with smarter ideas. Following are the list of techniques you can use to prevent your business from unfavorable sales variance situation:
- Do not sit back and relax if your business is doing well and do not leave any single chance to win your customer’s trust and heart. In the long run, their confidence can save you in your odd and even business situations.
- Keep your customers fond of your services by providing great offers and vouchers but for a limited period to inspire them for more shopping with lesser variance at your sales rates. This will reduce your profit margin for some time but will increase your sales quantity.
- When you are selling something at a lower price compromise a little with the product features. Emphasize the available features more to attract suitable customers for those products.
4+ Sales Variances Examples
1. Article on Sales Variances Example
If you are an aspiring businessman and plan to open your sales company one day reading this article can enhance your economic bent of mind. Every business is a challenging and comes with risks, and this article contains ideas and instructions on all those aspects. Thus do not waste time and grab this sales variance template today to enhance your intellectual horizon.
2. Sales Variance Analysis Example
If you are handling a sales analysis desk job, we can understand the vast data you study. Thus to simplify it a little we have prepared this template for you that comes with pre-structures analysis frame and requires your business data to be filled to simplify your job. Thus, stop worrying for such tasks and opt for this readymade template now!
3. Standard Costing and Variance Analysis Example
Variance in sales rates can emerge anytime for several marketing and external or internal conditions. To save your business interest in such situation several measures can help that you can get effortlessly available in this document. Thus, stop worrying and have a look at this detailed study example now!
4. Sales Revenue Variance Analysis
5. Sales and Market Variances