14+ Receipt Examples and Templates in Word
Receipts are a mainstay in any business that sells any type of product. Most countries actually require profit-based businesses to issue receipts for every sale, no matter how small the purchase, mainly for tax purposes. Receipts come in many forms and sizes, but they all have the same function: inform the customer precisely how much he or she paid for an item.
In this article, we will be providing you with examples and templates (in Word), downloadable for free which can help you create a receipt for your own business (or business event/activity). We also provided some simple tips to assist you in creating a receipt.
Elements of a Good Receipt
Listed below are the elements of a receipt. Make sure to include all the elements so that you can create an effective receipt which is not only beneficial for your business but also for your clients and customers.
1. Name of business or company: One of the first things you see in a receipt is the name of the business or company, which is most times found at the top of the receipt. Do this for your receipt as well and insert the name of your business in the topmost center regardless of page orientation.
2. Address and contact number of business: Below the business name, list down the address and contact number of your business. This is a standard policy for every receipt as it adds to the legitimacy to the business and will help customers contact the said business if there are concerns regarding the product or service that they bought.
3. Name of product and corresponding price (optional): The name of the product and its corresponding price is an optional element in a receipt because not all businesses have a digital or computerized point-of-sale (POS) system which automatically records every item purchased (together with the price) in the receipt. But this doesn’t mean you will be leaving the receipt blank, as you still need to fill up the receipt manually.
4. Total price of items (optional): Similar to the name of the product and its corresponding price, the total price of items is also an optional element. Having a POS system makes it easier for items to be tallied and computed, but if you’re still starting out and don’t have enough funds to invest in a POS system, list it down manually.
5. Words of gratitude (optional): If you want to thank your customers for purchasing your product, you can always list it down in the receipt (preferably at the lower part of the receipt). Again, a POS system can list down your personal words of gratitude but it is not necessary. You may have already thanked your customer a number of times before he or she actually paid for the product. You may also see payment receipt examples.
14+ Receipt Templates and Examples
Free Receipt Voucher Template
Free School Receipt Sample
Shipment Delivery Receipt Template
Car Bill of Sale Sample
Daycare Receipt Template
Free Office Rent Receipt Template
Tenant Rent Receipt Sample
Shop Rent Receipt Template
Simple Apartment Rent Receipt
Free Annual Rent Receipt
Plumbing Receipt Example
Receipt of Security Deposit
Security Deposit Agreement Receipt
Printable Receipt Sample
House Rent Receipt
Simple Tips for an Excellent Receipt Layout
Here are some simple tips to help you create an excellent receipt layout.
- Choose between a portrait or landscape orientation: There are two options for your receipt in terms of page orientation: portrait or landscape. There is actually no wrong orientation to use, and you can choose based on your personal preference. But it is suggested that you use a portrait page orientation especially if you will be listing numerous items in the receipt especially after the purchase.
- Limit text in the receipt: The only text that you will be incorporating in the receipt is the name of your business, address, and business contact number (landline or phone number). The other text that you will be incorporating is the item or items that are purchased during the transaction. In actuality, the receipt should only comprise of the list of items being purchased, but adding your business information adds to the legitimacy of the receipt. Place the business information on the top most part of the receipt, preferably in the center. You may also see sales receipt examples.
- Avoid the use of images: The receipt is not a poster or tarpaulin where you can add dozens of images or graphics. The receipt is only a small piece of paper and does not need visual aesthetics for it to be effective. If you insist on incorporating images, add a logo of your store or company right next to your store information. The size should be small.
Steps For Designing a Good Receipt
Follow these easy steps when designing a good receipt:
1. Prepare store information: Before you create the actual receipt, you first need to gather information regarding your store. This is the most basic information you can gather and you don’t need to do research to look for this information since you are connected to the business. As previously mentioned, the only information that you will be gathering are the name of the store or business, store or business address, and contact number.
2. Create columns and rows: Once you have prepared the store information, it’s now time to start creating the layout for the receipt—starting with the columns and rows. There should only be two headings for the columns: items and cost. The rest of the text will be listed down in the rows. Do not create numerous columns and rows as you only have very limited space in the receipt.
3. Incorporate all the elements: It’s now time to incorporate all the elements in the receipt. Once you have already prepared the store information and created the columns, it’s now time to incorporate all the elements together. Place the store information (i.e. business name, business address, contact information) on the top center of the receipt regardless of page orientation. Once the store information is in place, add the columns and rows so that you can input the items that are being purchased by your customers as well as the corresponding price of the items.
4. Add words of gratitude (optional): Although the words of gratitude can be included in the previous step, we created a separate step if you decide to add some words of gratitude in the receipt. This doesn’t need to be a very lengthy text as you don’t want to fill up the receipt with unnecessary text which you can just say to your customers once they purchase your product. Here are some words of gratitude you can include in the receipt: “Thank you!”, “Thank you! Have a great day!”, “Cheers!”, or “Thank you! Please come again!” If it’s the holiday season like Christmas, you can customize the receipt to fit the holidays, for example, “Thank you! Happy Holidays!”
5. Check for errors, then print out: Once you’re done creating the receipt, check for errors in regards to typography as well as the image and text placement. Once everything is set, you can then print out the receipt. The quantity that you will be printing will depend on your projected sales targets or goals.
Types of Receipts
- Full invoice: The full invoice is the classic invoice, and also the most comprehensive.
- Simplified invoice: The simplified invoice is also known as a sales receipt, and is mostly used for smaller transactions.
- Debit note: A debit note is a receipt that requests the return of money, and is usually used in B2B transactions.
- Credit note: This receipt confirms that the money has been returned. A credit note is a letter sent by the supplier to the customer to let them know that they received some credit.
Listed below are the paper sizes you can use for your receipt:
- 8.5 × 7 inches
- 4.25 × 7 inches
- 4.25 × 5.5 inches
What is a receipt?
A receipt is a piece of short document that informs the customer precisely how much he or she paid for an item, product or service.
Why is a receipt important?
A receipt is important because it does not only keep track of a customer sales and revenue, but it also helps businesses create more accurate financial statements and tax-related documents.
We hope you found this article to be informative as well as helpful when you will be creating a receipt for your own business. Making a receipt is not difficult, you just have to follow the tips we provided as well as use the receipt templates and examples we provided then you are good to go!