Every now and then, a writer experiences writer’s block. It’s not something that one can completely control but it’s something that can be dealt with accordingly. For writers, essay writing can be a challenge at times, especially when dealing with topics that are broad and unfamiliar. There a couple of things that one must know when writing an essay.
Things to Do Before You Start Writing an Essay
- Clear your mind. Set aside irrelevant plans or problems that may distract you from completing your essay.
- Plot a schedule. To avoid last minute writing, you need to give yourself a considerable amount of time to develop your essay. This would include a time for brainstorming, drafting, outlining, and finalizing.
- Understand the topic. You need to know how to approach the title or question properly. This will allow you to determine the flow of your essay.
- Research. Whether the essay is something familiar to you or not, it’s best to expand your knowledge on it. You can do so by taking the time to read about it from various books, journals, or online sources.
- Organize your material. With what you have gathered from your research, you need to determine how you want to present this information. You have the option of making it a descriptive essay, persuasive essay, or even an expository essay.
Tips for Writing an Essay in a Hurry
Due to procrastination and our tendency to forget things, we’re left to complete tasks at the last minute. However, this is not a hindrance for us to produce a good piece. Here are some tips for writing a effective essay in last minute:
- Stay away from any potential distraction. This could be any form of gadgets and social networks. For some people, this might require a lot of willpower but it’s a small sacrifice that can garner positive results.
- Type it. Truth be told, it’s easier to compose an essay with the help of technology rather than writing it by hand. This will allow you to make necessary changes faster.
- Produce the body first. The body of the essay consists of the ideas and arguments that need to be stressed out. Through this, you become familiar with the topic making it easier for you to formulate the introduction and the essay conclusion.
- Proofread as you go. The advantage about proofreading while writing is that it’s an opening for an endless flow of ideas. You can maximize this time to generate new ideas while still checking for any grammatical errors.
Dos and Don’ts of Essay Writing
First off, you need to make your essay easy to read. Structure your essay in such a way that important points are clearly stated and conveyed. Make sure to use proper transitions when expressing two different points to create a smooth flow for your essay.
Do not plagiarize. Copy-pasting might sound like an easy way out but it’s also a subject for cheating. Flooding your essay analysis with information that may not be too relevant to the topic may also be too overwhelming for your readers.