Creating a printable SMART action plan for a mentoring program is one of the best things that you can do if you want to maximize and utilize the benefits and advantages that you can get from the transaction. It is important for every mentee to have a mentoring action plan so that they can be guided within the entirety of the program—from the plotting and planning of the mentoring processes that they will be immersed in up to the assessment of the results of all mentoring activities and areas of consideration.
Use our mentoring action plan examples in PDF as your guides if you want to be aware on how you can format your own mentoring action plan. Referring to these downloadable examples can also help you identify the necessary information that you need to discuss, limiting your content to what is only necessary and relevant.
Mentoring Action Plan Template Example
Mentoring Action Plan: Learning Activities Example
Why Is a Mentoring Action Plan Essential?
A mentoring action plan is an organizational tool that can help in establishing understanding and clarity within any kinds of mentoring efforts, programs, and activities. This is the reason why it is highly recommended for a mentoring action plan to first be developed so that the agreement between the mentor, the mentee, and any other entities involved to be set accordingly.
One of the misconceptions that a lot of people have is that the mentor is the one assigned to create a mentorship action plan. This is actually the other way around as the mentee is supposed to provide and develop the specified document. Here are some of the reasons why it is important for you to create a comprehensive mentoring action plan:
- A mentoring action plan can present the mentoring goals and other areas of the partnership that both the mentor and the mentee has agreed upon. Hence, it can put down to writing all the details of the transaction which can be used in the future for clarification, reassessment, and referencing purposes.
- A mentoring action plan, just like a restaurant action plan, academic plan, and business plans, can provide information about the particular call-to-actions that must be implemented within specific time frames. Knowing what to do within the entire timeline of the mentoring program can help the mentee achieve his or her personal objectives and goals. This can also help the vision of the mentoring team or the mentor be realized.
- A mentoring action plan can give an idea about the standards that are needed to be met to ensure that the mentoring program will work for the best advantage of the mentee. Having measures and metrics in this process will allow the mentor to ensure that proper mentoring practices and activities are delivered and that the entire mentoring program will be reviewed and evaluated accordingly.
- A mentoring action plan can help you become more aware of all the procedures that will be done during mentoring. This will help you to identify ways that will allow you to get the maximum results from the activity.
Action Plan – Coaching and Mentoring Example
Mentoring Program: Guidance and Program Action Plan Example
How to Make an Effective Mentoring Action Plan
A simple action plan for a mentoring program can help you become more productive, effective, and efficient. Developing this document can arrange and organize not only your mentoring processes but also the way that you prepare your resources and other relevant mentoring materials. Here is a basic process that you can follow if you want to create your own mentoring action plan:
- Know the reason why there is a need for the mentoring. This will allow you to develop a clear and concise mentoring action plan. If there are problems and issues that you would like to address, then it will be best if you will focus on these matters first so you can have an idea or a selection of items that can resolve what you are currently facing with the help of mentoring. Meeting your mentor will also be great so you can get insights from him or her.
- Make sure that you will identify all the learning areas that you would like to look into and develop. It is important for you to have a goal to achieve so that you can set the direction where the mentoring program will be going. All the improvements that you will have must be well-communicated so that your mentor can be on the same page as where you are.
- Assess your current condition and specifically list down all the skills, abilities, characteristics, and behavior as well as knowledge areas that you think will be further improved within the entire processes of mentoring.
- Once the initial steps of developing a mentoring action plan is done, it is now time for you to come up with the mentoring strategies, tactics, and call-to-actions. It is important for you to have a routine so you can organize all the activities and programs that will be done. This can also ensure you that your action plan is aligned with the goals that you want to achieve as an output.
- Identify all the resources and support mechanisms that you need within the mentoring program. You have to make sure that you can get the support that you need so you can build a strong foundation that will allow the mentoring become a success. These resources include the people that can provide you with their expertise and other kinds of support, the financial aspect of the mentoring, and the materials that can give you an efficient time in undergoing all mentoring phases and activities.
- Set a timeline that you and your mentor can follow. Be particular with the milestones that you would like to achieve in certain periods. You have to ensure that you will develop windows in each mentoring time frame so you can be more flexible and adaptive should there be any changes that are needed to be done.
- Create a metrics or a criteria that can help you evaluate the results of the mentoring action plan. Knowing measures that can present the level of successes that you’ve had can give you a reference on how to develop the future action plans that you will develop and use.
Mentoring Program Action Plan Example
Mentoring Action Plan Guidelines Example
Mentoring Program Action Plan and Toolkit Example
Important Details That Should Be in a Mentoring Action Plan
Since you are already aware on how to develop your own mentoring action plan, you have to keep in mind that it is also important for you to take note of the completion of all the details that you will include in the document. Just like a community action plan, you need to ensure that you have a mentoring action plan that is presentable and understandable. Moreover, you should develop a document that contains all the essential details that can positively impact the results of the mentoring. For a simple mentoring action plan to be comprehensive and detailed, here are some of the important information that you should not forget to put in your final draft:
- The information of both the mentor and the mentee which can include, but is not limited to, their names, work titles or designations, contact information, and addresses
- The dates in which the mentoring action plan has been made and last updated
- The vision of the mentoring action plan or the personal vision and objectives of the mentee
- The goals that are needed to be achieved at the end of the mentoring program
- The support person and other resources that are needed to be present when particular mentoring activities will be implemented
- The level of competencies within each mentoring or learning activity
- The current status of the mentee and the notes that are needed to be reviewed for the mentee’s development
- The cost of the mentoring program
- The beginning and ending dates of the mentoring
- The list of the accomplishments that should be presented once the entire mentoring program is done
- Any other essential information that has been agreed upon by the mentor and the mentee
Be reminded that the abovementioned information are only the basic details found in a mentoring action plan. Depending on the agreement between the mentor and the mentee or the scope of the transaction, feel free to add or remove any information that will allow you to come up with your desired document discussion.
Mentoring Agreement and Action Plan Example
Mentee Action Plan Example
Mentoring Action Plan: First Meeting Overview Example
Mentoring Action Plan Development Tips
A mentoring action plan may be a simple document but it sure can provide a lot of benefits and advantages. Creating one will only take you a few minutes but you can experience its effects for a long period of time. If you think that you are already prepared to come up with your own mentoring action plan, here are some tips that can help you become more effective during the development of the specified document:
- Just like when creating a remedial action plan, ensure that you have an understanding of why you have set particular goals. Review the objectives of the mentoring and make sure that these items are specific, measurable, and attainable. Knowing what you want and how you can get them is a great way for you to come up with a successful mentoring action plan.
- Develop a mentoring action plan that is time-bound and realistic. You have to list down not only your strengths but also your weaknesses. In this manner, your mentor can have more idea on how to deal with the situation and how to develop programs that can specifically help you rely on your strengths and improve your gray areas or weaknesses.
- It is essential for your mentoring action plan to establish or set the expectations that you have in terms of how you will communicate with your mentor, how your goals can be achieved, and how the mentoring program can be as organized as possible. The scope, terms, and limitations of the mentoring should also be considered so you can ensure that your action plans are applicable to be implemented.
- Assess and evaluate the overall document once you have already finalized and put together the content of the mentoring action plan. Make sure that you will make the mentoring action plan as error-free as possible so that confusion or misunderstandings will not arise once you have already implemented your call-to-actions.
- Use templates as references if you want to have a well-formatted mentoring action plan. This may not be necessary for some especially those who are already aware how to develop business and formal documents. However, having templates at hand can easily guide you on how to draft a presentable and well-arranged document.
With the discussion above and the examples that are within your reach, there is already no excuse for you not to develop your own mentoring action plan. Do not hesitate to create one as this document can truly help you a lot in terms of achieving your mentoring goals, objectives, and vision.
Start downloading any of the available examples that we have put together in this post. Browse through your reference’s content and identify the format that will fit the kind of mentoring action plan that you would like to have. Once you have already created your mentoring action plan, try to evaluate how it has affected the mentoring program that you are currently involved in.