Certificate of organization and sometimes referred to as articles or certificate of formation, is a document created in setting up a Limited Liability Company (LLC) which outlines the LLC as a company, its purpose and the names of the initial members which is usually a brief page of information.A certificate of organization is usually filed for the purpose of being legally recognized in a state and in order for such an entity to conduct business in that state. Different states often come with different requirements in filing for such a modern certificate.
Example of Organization Compliance Certificate
Organization Gift Certificate Template Example
Obtaining a Certificate of Organization
In most states, going to the website for the office of the secretary of state will often allow you fill up a blank certificate. The following information are needed in filling out a form for certificate of organization:
- The name of the Limited Liability Company (LLC)
- Legal structure type of the LLC has to be stated as one of the following:
- Limited Liability Company (LLC) – the corporate structure for LLCs are such that it makes use of taxation from partnerships or sole proprietorship combined with the limited liability of a corporation.
- Professional Limited Liability Company (PLLC) – These entities are similar to that of LLCs but only differ in that the formation of such an entity cannot be done unless the forming members of such an LLC are licensed professionals in a state.
- Series Limited Liability Company – Also similar with LLCs but distinctly differ in that an LLC that has separate divisions treat each division or series as a separate division void of liabilities from another division or series but all under one entity or LLC.
- Management of an LLC – A document stating the management of such an LLC has to be included and stated if the members themselves hold managing positions or managers are hired to do such.
- The effective date of incorporation for the LLC
- By default an LLC is held in perpetual duration but can otherwise be specified within an agreed upon dates of duration.
- Additionally, the names accompanying the signatures of the incorporators of the LLC have to be included in the filing of the application for certificate of organization.
Completing the Certificate of Organization
Before getting an actual certificate of organization, a business entity has to provide and comply the following:
- Based on the above-mentioned requirements in the drafting of the articles of organization, an entity or a representative of an entity has to get the official application form from the state secretary office and fill out the information needed.
- The filled out form and required articles of organization have to be mailed or submitted to the office of the state secretary to be processed along with the appropriate filing fee.
- Normally, the processing period for such a certification takes several weeks and you would have to wait for it to be mailed to you or the address provided. There is also an option to expedite the process quicker with an additional fee.
Certification templates and examples for certification of organization differ for each state but they are usually provided for by the office of the state secretary as downloadable or printable material.