An analytical essay is commonly used to analyze a literary piece, a movie, or even an event. Aside from those; there are other items, ideas or materials that can be analytically presented through writing an in-depth observation. The main purpose of an analytical essay is to provide information about a specific area or part of a particular subject matter through a critical review.
You should always be prepared when writing an analytical essay as it requires your full efforts when observing your subject. Being ready will also help you avoid committing any common essay mistakes. If you are tasked to write an analytical essay and is currently unaware of what to do, then the guidelines and other information about an analytical essay that we have put together in this post will be very helpful for you.
Essential Parts of an Analytical Essay
Before knowing the steps on how you can write an effective analytical essay, you must first be knowledgeable of the essay parts that you need to work on when writing an analytical essay. This will help you be aware on how you can present your analysis in an organized manner. Listed below are the essential parts of an analytical essay.
- Introduction. There are different ways to start essays. Just like any other essay examples, you have to make sure that the first paragraph that you will write serves as the introductory point of your analytical discussion. You must have a hook statement that can help your readers be aware and interested in what the essay is all about.
- Body. The body of your analytical essay can be made up of two to three paragraphs. However, this may change depending on the number of topics that you need to work on in a single analytical essay. Each paragraph that you will create must have the topic of your discussion, the analysis that you would like to present, the supporting details and other evidence that can validate your observation, and a concluding sentence that can wrap up your statement.
- Conclusion. The way you end your analytical essay is very important. Your conclusion serves as the summation of your analysis. It is necessary for the discussion of the key points to be collated through the usage of a strong concluding statement.
Different Kinds of Analytical Essays
When writing analytical essays, you need to make sure that you are fully aware of the subject that you will talk about. Knowing all the information about your subject can help you have proper analysis or observation. Here are a few samples of analytical essays:
- Analytical essay for poetry. When creating an analysis for poetry, make sure that you can accurately explain the content of the poem that serves as your subject. Aside from that, you should have an observation of its structure, style, purpose, and significance.
- Literary analytical essay. This kind of analytical essay is used to analyze literary pieces based on different measures. It can talk about emotions, the connection of the characters from one another, or even a few lines and quotations from the literary piece.
- Analytical essay of cause. An analytical essay of the cause or causal analysis essay basically states information about the cause of an instance, a scenario, or a reaction. It always answers the question “why” as its main purpose is to provide speculation of what truly happened and how the occurrences were plotted based on the content of what is being talked about.
- Process analysis essay. When creating an analytical essay that talks about a process, you have to consider the nature of operations or the cycle where the process is implemented. Ensure that appropriate explanation of the procedures and how their purpose can affect an entire community are present in the essay that you will write.
How to Write an Analytical Essay
Now that you are already aware of the essential parts of an analytical essay as well as some examples of the specified writing, the next thing that you should know is the essay writing basic guide or the writing process that you may follow so you can create an analytical essay that works. Here are the steps that will help you write a comprehensive analytical essay:
- Know the kind of analytical or analysis essay that you will write. The subject that you will write about plays a vital role in the overall content of the essay that you will create. You first need to know the specific kind of analytical essay that you will work on so you can easily provide the details that it will require.
- Look at samples on how a particular analytical essay is written. Get ideas from existing analytical essay that discusses the same topic that you are required to write about. This way, you can have solid references that can help you create the structure of your essay.
- Decide on the topic discussion that you will follow. You need to be specific with what to analyze. More so, you need to be precise when it comes to identifying the area that you will observe so your essay can be organized.
- Brainstorm on how you can organize your analysis. Properly plot the things that you will talk about. This way, you can easily find ways on how your discussion will flow accordingly. Being organized with your analysis can also help you group together all the information that is relevant and related to one another.
- Create a strong thesis and put it into writing. Once you already have a stand to discuss, your analysis will already find a track to follow. The entirety of your analysis should be cohesive so it can present your point in a believable manner.
- Find supporting details and evidence. An analytical essay can only be strong if you have a basis on what you are talking about. You need to make sure that your claims are backed-up and supported by facts and other credible information.
- Create an outline. All the items that you have put together should be outlined. When you outline an essay, you can group items based on the part of the essay where you will place them. More so, it will help you have a good flow of discussion per topic.
- Write based on the outline that you have created. If you are already done with the analytical essay outline, what you need to do is to make sure that you will follow all the items that you have written. Base your writing on the guide that you have created and make sure that you can interlink your thoughts accordingly.
May it be a last-minute essay writing or a prepared one, writing an analytical essay will be easy if you are already confident that you are already aware of the things that you need to consider when creating one. Just ensure that you are guided by the items discussed above so you can properly create a well-curated analytical essay.