Learning the alphabet could be one of our fondest memories. In fact, memorizing each letter was one of our milestones back then and it was also an indication that we were ready to enter the world of reading and writing.
Learning the alphabet is one of the most important and basic things every child should learn. Children can be taught to memorize the alphabet as early as two or three years old with the use of nursery rhymes and other instructional materials. One example of an instructional material that can help children learn more about the alphabet are worksheets. In this article, we have provided ten examples of worksheets that can aid children in their journey of learning the alphabet.
Here are some ways and tips that children can follow to learn their ABCs in a fun way:
1. Remember to start simple. Do not make it hard for them and teach the entire 26 letters of the alphabet all at once because remember, they are still children. You can introduce the first five letters in week one, then the next five letters in week two, so on and so forth.
2. Children can easily learn the alphabet if it is taught to them in a meaningful way. Do not just give them memory tasks as it will be hard for them to cope up. It is also best if you will teach them the uppercase letters first before the lowercase ones since they are easier to understand.
3. Every time you are shopping, playing at the park, or simply roaming around outside, you can create challenges for the child. For example, when doing your grocery shopping, make them identify the letters they can see around. You can also do this activity at any public place especially when looking at road signs and signages in buildings.
4. Teach them how their names are spelled. One of the most basic way to teach a child how to read or write is through spelling their names. Aside from the fact that they will start learning the alphabet this way, you will also be helping them in identifying their own name. You can first introduce them their first name first, then their surnames. Soon after, you can teach them their entire name in one go.
You can also help them learn their names through simple ways such as labeling their belongings. Most kids would already be making their artworks at the same age they learn the alphabet. Make it a point that they would practice writing or signing their artworks with their names. Soon enough, they will eventually understand and realize that the combination of letters stands for their name.
5. Make use of the power of storytelling. Telling stories to a child is one way of teaching the alphabet in the early stages of their lives. Regular reading will increase their chances to learn the alphabet easily. Another benefit that children can get from regular reading is that it helps them expand their knowledge on various subject matters.
6. When you think of fun ways that children can learn the alphabet, you would probably think of games and songs. True enough, games are the best and fun ways a child can learn, even if it’s not just about their ABCs. At a young age, learning the alphabet may be a daunting task for children but it can be turned into a fun activity, especially when taught through alphabet games and songs. Additionally, you can utilize refrigerator magnets representing the letters of the alphabet and do some learning activities with your children while cooking or preparing food.
7. Do not be afraid to try various kinds of methods of teaching the alphabet. Keep in mind that there are four kinds of learners: visual, auditory, reading/writing, and kinesthetic. Each learning type creates a different response for each individual. So, it is better to identify which kind of learner your child is so that you can teach the alphabet using a method he can easily comprehend.
8. Teach them using worksheets, of course! There are various kinds of alphabet writing worksheets you can find and purchase at cheap prices. Guess what, we listed them all below. Check them out!
Here are just some of the reasons why learning the alphabet is important for children:
1. Even if your country has its own system of writing, it is still important for your children to learn the alphabet because the most common medium used in schools is English and it uses the English alphabet. This does not mean that you are to avoid teaching your children your country’s own system of writing. English is still is the most spoken and most used language in the world, so it is better your children learn the English alphabet which will come in handy when they grow up.
2. Learning the alphabet should begin early in a child’s life. While some children learn the alphabet when they start their schooling, it is never recommended. In fact, children should master the entire alphabet once they enter kindergarten.
3. Learning the alphabet helps improving the child’s verbal and written communication. Before even reaching the age of 2 or 3— the ideal age where children can be taught about the alphabet — there are some parents who practice slow and gradual learning like reading stories to their children and having easy conversations with them. Language mastery is the key for a better personal and professional life, and it all begins with the learning of the alphabet.
As mentioned, learning the alphabet is one of the things that all children must learn in the early stages of their lives. It gives them an advantage in academics as well as social activities. We hope that with the help of this article and the alphabet writing worksheets we provided, we have made it easier for your children and also for you, as a parent, guardian, educator or instructor.