One way to accomplish a complicated task is to have a proper and accurate set of instructions that we can follow. Every now and then, we encounter tasks that boggle us, perhaps when trying to figure out the workings of a new kitchen implement or the latest gadget. The instruction booklet that comes included is our only hope to accomplish the task.
343+ Sheet Templates in Word | Excel | Google Docs | Apple Pages | Google Sheets | Apple Numbers - START DOWNLOADING
With an instruction sheet, accomplishing a task will be easier, faster, and more organized. Such sheets can be applied to all areas, be it manual tasks and operations to the flow of processes and routines.
Sheet for Teacher Instruction
Cast Care Instruction Sample Sheet
What Is an Instruction Sheet?
An instruction sheet is a piece of paper containing information that gives out instructions in performing a task. These instructions are either work-related, school-related, or personal instructions. The goal of the instruction sheet is to give the user all the steps necessary to achieve and accomplish a single task or multiple tasks.
How to Write an Instruction Sheet
Knowing how to write a clear and well-written instruction sheet is a valuable skill. However, aside from technical writers, only a few of us possess those skills.
To help you with that, here’s some help. You can also download our instruction sheet examples in PDF here for reference.
- Determine the task. Keep in mind the “end” or “completed” state. This way you can identify the scope and detail of its instructions.
- Identify the first step. This means that the first instruction should start from the start. Make sure no step is missed out.
- Begin your instructions with a verb. Begin every instruction with a doable statement. (Examples: “Take”, “Fold”, “Cut”, “Write”, etc.)
- Follow with the next steps. And so on. Every step must be concrete.
- End your instruction sheet by stating that it is the last step. Might seem unnecessary, but the user must have no doubt that they have reached the end of the instructions.
Job Instruction Sheet
Grooming Instruction Sheet Example
Wire Instruction Sample Sheet
Sheet for Shipping Instruction
Participant Instruction Sheet
Fingerprint Instruction Sample Sheet
The Purpose of the Instruction Sheet
The main purpose and function of an instruction sheet is to give the user a step-by-step guide to accomplish a task. Not only that, an instructions sheet also help the user to learn. While they read the instructions, they are also learning.
This means that the user is now capable of performing a task without any instructions.
Tips for Writing an Instruction Sheet
- Make sure that you know how to do the task. Since you are the one writing the instruction for the task, it is important that you know how to do it.
- Always do your research. Even if you know exactly how to do the task, it is always a good idea to research and make sure you are up to date on how others do it. Make a task sheet so that the instructions you provided is also the instruction given by other people.
- Write the instructions step-by-step. All the instructions must follow accordingly. Do not skip and do not give instructions out of order.
- Write a starting statement and an ending statement. This acts as signposts for the user of where to begin and where to end.
- Number the instructions. As much as possible this is according to its placement in the process. This organizes the information and aids doability.