Have you ever written something that talks about a specific object? This kind or type of writing can showcase a person’s ability to relay information about a particular experience. More so, it helps in developing the skill of a writer that can enable him/her to come up with an output through the usage of senses in presenting and describing a subject of discussion. The final article that you will develop within this process is a descriptive essay.
As students, most of us are tasked to write college essays. A descriptive essay is one of the essays that are used as one of our academic requirements may it be in the form of a project, an assignment or a room activity. To make a more outstanding descriptive essay the next time you will be asked to create one, refer to the samples that we have curated in this post.
Printable Descriptive Essay Sample
Descriptive Essay Example in PDF
What Can I Write About?
Compared to scholarship essay examples that can sometimes be restricting when it comes to format and content, there is a wide range of topics that you can write about if you are tasked to create a descriptive essay. As long as you can describe an object and present it to your readers, then there are a lot of things that can be used in your discussion. Some of the subjects that are commonly seen in a descriptive essay are as follows:
- An object, thing, or matter. Since a descriptive essay is made to present and describe a subject, things that have various characteristics can be a great topic. You can write about a flower, a notebook, or any other things under the sun.
- People. Descriptive essays are not limited to be used for non-living things. People can also be the subject of descriptive essays may they be a group or may he/she be an individual. Descriptive essays can talk about a person that the writer personally knows or it can also be about a prominent figure or icon.
- An emotion. More than the visuals, descriptive essays can be used to describe things that can be smelled or even felt. Emotions can be your topic of discussion if you want to relay information about an emotion and how it can affect a person and his/her functions and activities.
- A particular experience. Since experiences can be described, you can also use them as your topic when making a descriptive essay. You can write about your own personal experiences or you can also write in behalf of a person whose experiences are interesting and/or relevant enough to be written. Situations, may they be real or made-up, can be your topics as well.
Descriptive Writing Essay Sample
Sample Essay of Description
Things to Know About a Descriptive Essay
If you are currently under the activity of last minute writing essay or if you are fully unfamiliar of what a descriptive essay is or how you can create it, acquiring knowledge about this essay genre can help you be more comfortable in making one. Here are some of the basic information that you need to be aware of if you would like to develop a descriptive essay:
- A descriptive essay is a genre of essay writing that deals with the description of a specific subject matter. It provides more information about a topic which can be mostly used in the fields of education, literature and research.
- A descriptive essay helps readers to imagine the subject of discussion through the help of sensory descriptions and interpretations made by the writer. A descriptive essay can be deemed as effective if it can help readers form an impression or an image of the subject/object being described.
- A descriptive essay is one of those essays that promote full artistic freedom as the personal style of a writer can be seen and observed if a reader will review the essay’s content and structure. Through a descriptive essay, a writer can present an item or an object through his/her personal writing techniques and abilities.
Simple Descriptive Essay Sample
Descriptive Writing Example
How to Effectively Write a Descriptive Essay
A descriptive essay is one of the essay examples that can be easily done if you are aware of the basics of its creation. An effective and efficient step-by-step guide that you may use when writing a descriptive essay are as follows:
- Select the topic that you will write about. Some topics used in writing descriptive essays are already pre-determined especially those that serve as academic requirements. When selecting the topic that you will discuss, you should ensure that you will be fully aware of the characteristics of the subject so you can easily describe it to readers.
- Identify ways on how you can convey an idea about your subject. Select a writing technique that will allow you to write according to the subject’s actual description. Always be structured when describing your subject so your readers will not have a hard time imagining how they should think of what you are writing about.
- Start your essay by writing a thesis or a statement that will wrap your subject in a single idea. This idea should be carried out within the entirety of the essay as it will serve as the guide of your readers when defining your subject of discussion.
- Make sure to affect the senses of your readers by using words that can properly describe your subject. You can first create a draft of your statements and discussions so you can easily put together content that is relevant to your objective of writing.
- Create and polish the final outline of your descriptive essay. Once you are already aware of what you will write about, we suggest you to finalize the outline that you will follow within the entire duration of the writing activity. Make your points more evident in this outline compared to the initial outline that you have created. You can also be more specific on how you would like to describe your subject.
- State your conclusion. The closing message or conclusion of a descriptive essay may be different compared to other kinds of essays when it comes to the final statement that you will leave to your readers. Reaffirming your thesis statement may not always be necessary as your conclusion can also be about the perception of your subject’s appearance, aesthetic, or existence. well written. a
- Review the content and structure of your descriptive essay. Your essay should be well-written and informative for it to be effective. Always make sure to find time to edit format and grammatical errors. More so, revise and improve parts which you think can further help you describe your subject.
Student Descriptive Essay Sample
Extended Paragraph Descriptive Essay Sample
Factors to Give Focus On When Developing a Descriptive Essay’s Content
A descriptive essay can be used in different activities and undertakings. However, there are some things that can commonly affect the development of any descriptive essay. To avoid committing common essay mistakes, a few of the factors that you need to consider when developing the content of your descriptive essay include the following:
- The emotion/s that you would like your readers to feel.
- The nature of the subject that you are describing.
- The sense/s that you have used to further describe your topic of discussion.
- The main purpose on why you need to write a descriptive essay
- The audience that you target to tap or the people whom you expect to read your descriptive essay.
Make sure to be aware of these factors when writing a descriptive essay so you can achieve your objectives.
Sample Descriptive Paragraph Essay
Descriptive Essay Sample for Places
Helpful Tips When Creating a Descriptive Essay
A descriptive essay can be created accordingly if a writer will create balance between the creativity and writing techniques that he/she will use when developing a specific descriptive essay. Listed below are some of the guides and tips that may help you further improve your descriptive essay.
- Make full use of your senses. Consider the way that readers will use their senses once they already start reading your written work. Precisely explain how you were able to see, smell, feel, or task or hear the subject that you are talking about. Give your readers the chance to imagine that they are in the same situation as you are while being exposed to your subject of discussion.
- Be organized when writing a descriptive essay. A smooth flow of discussion can positively leave an impression to your readers. If you will be organized in presenting information about your subject, then people can easily understand what you are talking about.
- Be aware of your word choices. The language that you will use when describing a subject can greatly affect the entirety of the descriptive essay. Use a concise language that can properly interpret your thoughts. Clear descriptions can make it easier for your readers to understand what you are talking about.
- It is highly-suggested for you to think of different ways on how you can describe an object before writing about it. Brainstorming and planning can help you further describe what an item is. This process can make your writing processes be more organized.
These tips are only a few of the writing guides that you can incorporate in the creation of a descriptive essay. If you want to know more information on how you can write an impressive descriptive essay, then it will be best if you will refer to samples and templates for more elaborate content and structure guidelines.
A descriptive essay is not only present in the field of education and research. Ensure that you will always remember the items that we have discussed so you can always be ready in writing a descriptive essay if you will be tasked to do so even within the professional working environment.