Essays have been around for who knows how long, expressing ideas and opinions of different people from all over the world. We have been asked to write an essay for as long as we can remember, and we have already developed our skills in essay writing.
By now, we may have familiarized the three basic parts of an essay: the introduction, the body, and the conclusion. Basically, essays are supposed to have these three parts. Writing an essay may be simple to some who may have gotten used to the process, but for beginners, essay writing can be a bit challenging.
Descriptive Essay Outline Template
Descriptive Essay Template
Short Descriptive Essay Template
Descriptive Narrative Essay Template
Descriptive Writing Essay Template
Descriptive Essay Example
Descriptive Essay Writing
Descriptive Essay Sketch Outline
Persuasive Essay Example
Persuasive Speech Essay Outline
Sample Persuasive Essay
Persuasive Essay Checklist
What Is an Essay?
Broadly speaking, the term essay defines any written composition containing the author’s ideas and opinions about a certain subject matter. You may observe some free essay examples for your enlightenment.
Purpose of Writing an Essay
It is important for a writer to know the purpose for writing something. Typically, the purpose of writing an essay lies on its writer’s discretion. Depending on the writer, an essay can usually fall into one or two of the following purposes (which you may have observed in some sample essay outline found in this source).
- To inform. The writer usually provides information about something the readers need to know about. The writer provides facts and may or may not include his/her thoughts about it.
- To explain. Usually, writers write to elaborate and to provoke thought in order to provide readers a better understanding on the subject matter.
- To entertain. This gives readers the feeling of being entertained while reading. Usually, entertainment essays are written in a casual and friendly manner, promoting a good rapport between the writer and the reader.
- To persuade. This stimulates readers to take action or to change their thoughts about something. Basically, writers write their opinions and arguments while encouraging a call to action.
Scholarship Essay Example
College Scholarship Essay
Scholarship Application Essay
Simple Reflective Essay
Personal Reflective Essay
Synthesis Essay Outline
How to Write an Essay
Essay writing gives people a chance to express their ideas through writing. If you don’t believe me, try to observe some sample essay outlines. Still, we should know that there are unwritten rules in writing of which a writer needs to know about. And it is important for a writer to be able to know what to remember and what to avoid when writing essays. Here are some of these things:
- Take your time. You do not have to hurry. Do not write half-baked articles. Always take time to edit and polish your work.
- Think about your readers. Who are your readers? What do they want to know? What do you want them to know?
- Communicate with your readers. Be sincere and honest with your thoughts. You are talking to them through your writing.
- Write simply. Organize your thoughts first, and write them in the simplest way you can.
- Have a personal reader. Always have someone to read your work for you. Personal readers always see the things we cannot.
- Have fun. Think of it as if you’re talking to a friend. As much as you enjoy talking to a friend, you will find yourself enjoying what you’re writing.
- Provide too much information. It’s like serving them your brain for lunch, and they do not want that, neither do you. Give enough information for them to understand, and let them figure out the rest on their own.
- Use difficult words. If you have a wide vocabulary, stop bragging about it and use it properly.
- Write long sentences. Long sentences means long paragraphs and a very boring composition.
- Use discriminatory or racist remarks. Please don’t insult your readers.
- Overuse quotes. You may rely on other people’s ideas, but use them sparingly. You have your own idea, use it.
- Plagiarize. Everyone knows it’s a crime. So NEVER do this. You’re a writer. You have your own ideas, learn to use them.
Personal Narrative Essay
Literacy Narrative Essay Outline
Example of Narrative Essay
Argumentaive Essay Example
Argumentative Essay Outline
Process Essay Example
Process Analysis Assignment
Formal Argumentative Essay
Tips in Writing an Effective Essay
Everyone wants to write a good essay composition. But not everyone succeeds in doing so. So if you want to write a good piece, here are some tips for writing a effective essay to bear in mind:
- Have a goal in mind. For what purpose are you writing the essay?
- Know your topic. Identify your topic, research about it, understand every information, and then formulate your own thoughts about it.
- Stick to your topic. Do not put unrelated topics into your composition, or juggle ideas. Learn to organize.
- Make it clear and concise. Your essay does not have to be too long to deliver one point. Make it short and understandable.
- Read other essays. It is always best to read other people’s work. Observe how they deliver a point. You can use their writing as reference to your own.
- Provide strong opinions. Use strong words and phrases as your back up.
- Proofread your composition. For a writer to not miss anything–an error, or a missing point, he/she must always proofread. Improve your composition. And never submit a draft.
Importance of Essay Writing
Many students dread essay writing (for example, college essays). I know, I’ve been there. But the fact is, essay writing or writing in general is an avenue for us to freely say what we think about something. If you think you’re not a good at expressing your thoughts through speaking, try writing.
If you think you’re not good at writing, then you just have to practice it. That’s where essay writing comes in. There are, in fact, many different ways to share what you think, and trust me, writing different parts of essay is a really good way to do it. It will help you practice your skill and helps you grow as a writer.
Essay writing is also good way to communicate with other people. When you write, you talk to people. You show them your ideas, and maybe while reading, they’ll share their own. Through essay writing, people learn how to open their minds to other people’s opinions and other possibilities. To put it simply, essay writing provides us a highway to communication and that is all we need to be able to understand one another.