The thing about essay writing is that we know what we want to write about but we don’t know where or how to start it. Some people choose to ask questions, others like to tell interesting stories. How ever you wish to begin your essay, it’s important to never lose track of its relevance to the given topic.
Basic Strategies on How to Start an Essay
Creating an essay that will engage a reader is a challenge that a lot of people face. You need to know how to encourage readers to keep reading. To do this, you need to set your essay off to a good start.
- Ask a question. You have the option to answer your own question or invite your readers to do so. This will allow them to ponder on something and demand clear answers.
- State facts. Beginning with interesting facts about your subject is sure to grab the attention it needs.
- Dramatize your topic. Tell a relevant story, whether it’s personal or fictional, as long as it supports the message of your essay.
- Tell a decent joke or a quotation. This is a witty and creative method of introducing your topic.
Purpose of an Essay
As a writer, you write an essay for a given purpose. Of course, this would depend on the smart goals you have set out. You could be writing an essay to inform, to persuade, to entertain, or even to explain a given matter. Informative essays are usually narratives of a subject that people need or want to know of.
Persuasive essays are meant to be convincing, this could be to purchase a given product or to make a call to action. When writing an essay to entertain, you discuss personal or societal matters that might interest your readers. Finally, essays that explain a subject are meant to make an individual understand how or why things work.
Guidelines for Writing an Essay
- Decide on a topic. In some cases, a topic may already be provided. For instances when it isn’t given, choose a topic that you are interested in or passionate about.
- Create an outline of ideas. An essay outline will help you properly structure your essay using the specified key points. This will also prevent you from making it too lengthy or from adding irrelevant information.
- Identify the purpose. Once you’ve determined the purpose of your essay, you’ll know what information must be included and how it must be presented.
- Write the body. This would include the main points and the subpoints of your essay as well as its supporting details. Try to keep it as informative essay as possible by doing your own research on the topic.
- Compose the introduction and conclusion. After writing the body of your essay, you’ll be more knowledgeable on the given subject making it easier for you to construct the introduction and essay conclusion.
- Finalize it. Be sure to review your essay and make the necessary changes to ensure that there aren’t any conflicting statements or grammatical errors.