Bill of lading forms are the receipts that carriers issue as a way or sign of confirmation that a specific list of goods have already been placed in the conveyance. Simply put, bill of lading forms act as a carriage contract between the shipper and the carrier that specifically discusses and describes the movement of goods. Hence, a bill of lading plays a vital part in processes and activities within international trade. Generic bill of lading works when the document has already been signed by the carrier. If the signature of the carrier has already been affixed in the bill of lading, then it represents the confirmation that goods have already been received and that the loaded goods truly match the specifications listed in the document.
If you are immersed in activities or business processes where a bill of lading form is necessary to be given by your side, it will be best if you can fully understand the procedures that you need to undergo to ensure the document’s effective creation and development. We have put together a list of different kinds of bill of lading form examples that you can use as references and guides.
100,000+ Designs, Documents Templates in PDF, Word, Excel, PSD, Google Docs, PowerPoint, InDesign, Apple Pages, Google Sheets, Publisher, Apple Numbers, Illustrator, Keynote. - START DOWNLOADING
Straight Bill of Lading – Short Form Example
Bill of Lading Instructions and Example
Detailed Bills of Lading Form Example
Master Bill of Lading Example
Outlined Bill of Lading Form Example
Content of a Basic Bill of Lading
The details that you can find in a bill of lading depends on the kind of transaction where the document will be used, the nature of the goods exchanged, and other special specifications and regulations that must be considered by all entities especially those that are related in customs purposes. Just like employee information form examples, a bill of lading form must also be comprehensive. It should contain the exact details pertaining to the goods listed in the document. A few of the important details or information that must be included in a basic bill of lading include the following:
- The date when the goods have been loaded
- The date when the goods have been exported, if applicable
- The identification of all entities within the transaction where the bill of lading has been used
- The account numbers that have been used to track orders
- The specification and description of the goods
- The value of the shipped goods
- The total number of boxes or cartons where the goods are placed at
- The kind of packaging used for the transaction
- The place where the goods listed in the bill of lading will be picked
- The weight of the goods specified in the bill of lading
- Any vital numbers, instructions, notes, and marks that must be noted accordingly
Commercial Bill of Lading Example
Simple Bill of Lading Form Example
Straight Bill of Lading – Original – Not Negotiable Example
Bill of Lading – Short Form – Not Negotiable Example
Non-Negotiable Bill of Lading Example
Why Is a Bill of Lading Important?
When creating a bill of lading form, it is of utmost importance for you to make sure that you can precisely provide all the accurate information about the goods within the transaction. This includes the actual and current condition of the loaded goods and other details that are essential to be known by all entities in the activity. With the usage of a comprehensive and detailed bill of lading, specifications of the transaction can be recorded accordingly. Here are some of the reasons why a bill of lading is considered necessary and essential:
- A bill of lading, like receipt examples, specifies the receipt of the goods or the freight. Once the shipper has already given or delivered the specific goods to the carrier and the conditions of the goods have already been assessed or observed, a bill of lading can already be issued by the carrier. Kindly take note that a bill of lading can also be issued by third-party logistics providers or 3PL that works with the carrier.
- A bill of lading can be used as a legal contract. This means that this document can serve as a proof or an evidence in litigation. Hence, it is essential for this document to be accurate and precise as any information listed in the bill of lading can be used against any entity within the transaction should disputes arise in the future.
- A bill of lading can act as the title to the goods. This means that whoever holds the bill of lading has the right to claim the listed goods in the document. Keep in mind that there are still regulations and policies that must be considered before implementing particular specifications of the document of title’s usage. One of the factors that you need to look into before doing so is the way on how consignment occurred.
- A bill of lading serve as contract of carriage evidence. Hence, this document is highly beneficial to the freight owner or the shipper and the carrier of the goods. As an effective evidence and reference, a bill of lading can make the freight transportation fully aligned with what the seller and the buyer has agreed upon as specified in a contract or an agreement.
Multi-Modal Ocean Bill of Lading Example
Bill of Lading (BOL) Example
Straight Bill of Lading Form Example
Bill of Lading Form Template Example
Detailed Straight Bill of Lading Example
How to Ensure the Accuracy, Effectiveness, and Efficiency of a Bill of Lading
Like affidavit of heirship form examples and other kinds of business forms, the bill of lading form that you will create and use must be properly developed and evaluated so that its usage will not promote any misunderstandings due to inaccurate details or misleading information. Listed below are some of the ways on how you can ensure the accuracy, effectiveness, and efficiency of a bill of lading.
- Be keen when evaluating and checking the content of the bill of lading. This is very important especially before signing the document. Make sure that you will thoroughly review the document content so you can be confident that all the details that are essential to be disclosed and included in the document are already present. One of the things that you have to closely look into is the accuracy of the details within the bill of landing.
- Remember that a bill of lading is a legal document. Do not falsify or invent any information just so you can benefit more from the transaction. Keep in mind that a bill of lading can be used against you and that this document will be rechecked by a lot of other entities. Ensure that you will only include real details when creating the document.
- You have to be consistent with the usage of a particular bill of lading form. Ensuring that your consignees and the people that work for you are aware of the format and content specification in the bill of lading layout can help you lessen the chances of error and mistake occurrences.
- It is highly suggested for you to acquire services from third-party logistics provider. It will also be best if you will use a transportation management system. If you will maximize the benefits of having a third-party logistics provider and an effective transportation management system, then it will be easier for you to remain competitive in the industry.
- Make sure that the transportation management system that you will use can allow you to store and send data as well as to ensure the removal of listing errors. Being able to do this can help you become more efficient when it comes to the accurate development of a bill of lading form.
Bill of Lading Standard Template Example
Negotiable Combined Transport Bill of Lading Form Example
Bill of Lading Form Format Example
Benefits of a Bill of Lading Form to Importers and Exporters
A bill of lading is more technical compared to delivery order examples. More so, the former scopes a wider range of usage and application. For you to be more familiar with the reasons on why a bill of lading form is considered beneficial, what you can do is to be more aware on how a bill of lading can affect different entities who will make use of it. The main entities who are usually affected positively by the bill of lading includes the exporter and the importer. If a thorough, well-defined, and accurate bill of lading will be present within the transaction, exporters can experience these advantages:
- Having a bill of lading at hand can help exporters develop an appropriate communication channel or platform so that importers can be made aware of essential advice regarding the shipment.
- With the presence and usage of a complete and well-formulated bill of lading, duty drawbacks and other kinds or types of incentives can be claimed.
- The specifications within a bill of lading can serve as an evidence that all the goods listed in the document are already loaded on board. This can ensure that the major call-to-actions, obligations, and responsibilities of the exporter have already been delivered.
- Using a bill of lading allows the exporter to be free or excused from any damages that are caused by the crew’s incompetence and negligence. Hence, the damages of the goods will be the responsibility of the shipping company—unless certain circumstances tell otherwise.
Importers can also benefit from the creation and usage of a bill of lading. A few benefits that importers are entitled with include the following:
- If a bill of lading is made effectively and accurately, importers can pay the proper amount for freight.
- Having a bill of lading can help importers claim possession of goods. This is due to the fact that a bill of lading serves as a document of goods title.
Basic Bill of Lading Example
Bill of Lading Form Example
How Can Shipping Companies Benefit from a Bill of Lading?
Aside from the benefits to the importers and exporters, using a bill of lading can also be advantageous to the shipping company involved in the transaction. In the part of a shipping company, here is how a bill of lading can be beneficial:
- With the help of a bill of lading, title shipping companies can ensure the protection of their rights and interests within the transaction especially with regards falsified accusations and claims.
- Through a bill of lading, freight can be collected by the shipping company to the importer or the shipper accordingly and effectively.
- By using a bill of lading, the title shipping companies can record the conditions of goods. With this, exporters or importers cannot give false information about the goods’ damages that transpired or existed prior to their loading.
If you are already planning to create the format and detail listing of a bill of lading form, do not forget to download our examples. You can also use the items discussed in this post as guides and additional information that can allow you to improve the document that you will be making. Do not hesitate to use references and organizational tools like templates and summary examples as these materials and items can help you a lot.