A vehicle expense reimbursement policy letter is created by an employer to ensure that their employees will be reminded of the company policy with regards to the reimbursement for expenses should an employee use a company vehicle for business or work purposes. Having this document is very important as it allows the proper understanding of the regulations about vehicle expense reimbursement. Hence, employees will be guided accordingly and they can set expectations about the amount that will be given back to them.
Developing a vehicle expense reimbursement policy letter, just like making a work week policy, is easy as it only requires the necessary information related to the matter of discussion. You do not need to put a lot of unnecessary information as it can only make the letter look more confusing. We will discuss a number of information and tips about this corporate letter, so make sure to continue browsing if you want to know more details about the development and creation of a vehicle expense reimbursement policy letter.
Usages of a Vehicle Expense Reimbursement Policy Letter
A vehicle expense reimbursement policy letter is created for particular reasons. This letter is beneficial to both on the part of the employer and the employee. To give you an idea of how this letter works, a vehicle expense reimbursement policy letter is created for the following reasons:
- To ensure that the allowed vehicle expense initially shouldered by an employee will be given back to him or her by the employer. If policies are reviewed accordingly and the items that the employee will pay first are in the letter, then proper expectations for the reimbursement amount will be set. There are times when disputes happen as there are promised reimbursements that are not given since it is not put into writing. Avoid this kind of scenario by being prepared with the documents essential for the transaction.
- To have a detailed documentation of the use of the company vehicle and the corresponding amount that is needed to be paid by the business. If you have a vehicle expense reimbursement policy letter, it will be easier for both parties to talk with one another in relation to the specified matter. Since policies and other information are already stated, this document serves as the proof of the vehicle expense reimbursement that should be honored by the business and the employee.
- To specify the vehicle expense reimbursement policy of the company. It is of utmost importance for the letter to contain an attachment of the actual vehicle expense reimbursement policy of the company. If there is certain information that is not clear at the end of the employee, then he or she can easily consult with the attachment aside from the letter being given.
What Should be in a Vehicle Expense Reimbursement Policy Letter?
For a vehicle expense reimbursement policy letter to be effective, it should be complete and detailed. The same goes when developing other kinds of letters informing employees about business policies like the policy on privacy and employee monitoring. More so, the information present in the letter must be organized and easy to understand. If you are in the process of creating a vehicle expense reimbursement policy letter, here are some items that you should not forget to include in the document:
- The date when the vehicle expense reimbursement policy letter was made.
- The parties involved in the transaction which includes the employer and the employee who used the company vehicle.
- The metrics for vehicle expense reimbursement in accordance with the policy of the company.
- The enclosed copy of the policy of the business in relation to vehicle expense reimbursement.
- The name, work designation and basic contact information of the employee to whom the letter is meant for.
- The subject of the letter or the purpose of why the letter was written.
- The initial statement for reimbursement and supporting details.
- The records of the transaction and the specification of the reimbursement guidelines.
- The reminders on how to get the reimbursement which may include certain requirements like showcase of receipts.
- The name, work position and other necessary details of the person who wrote the letter.
What Can be Up for Vehicle Expense Reimbursement?
The items that can be reimbursed for having expenses when using the company vehicle depends on the policy and regulations of your employer. However, there are some items that are usually included in this list. Specified below are some of the items that are commonly up for reimbursement if an employee decides and has been allowed to use the vehicle owned by the business.
- The gasoline used for the entire trip
- The tickets for car parking
- The necessary maintenance and repair of the vehicle
- The payment for tolls and other vehicle entry and exit ways
Tips to Follow While Writing Vehicle Expense Reimbursement Policy Letter
Though writing a vehicle expense reimbursement policy letter is easy, it sure won’t hurt if you can get some help with some guidelines and tips that can make the letter more effective and usable. Some of the tips that you can use when writing a vehicle expense reimbursement policy letter are as follows:
- Be specific with the amount that can be reimbursed and those that could not be. Doing this can help the employee limit his or her spending based on the amount that he or she can receive back afterward.
- Protect the rights of the business by ensuring that the letter follows the actual policy and regulations of the business. It is important for the vehicle expense reimbursement policy letter to contain factual information so that the existence of problems when reimbursement comes will most likely not occur.
- Ensure that the vehicle expense reimbursement policy of the business complies with the law and other regulations in the city or country where the business is situated. Consult professionals and experts with regards to this matter as you have to make sure that what you are applying in your business is acceptable by law.
It is essential for a vehicle expense reimbursement policy letter to be created as it can give out the needed information with regards to vehicle expense reimbursement. With this, lesser to no misunderstanding between the employee and the employer may occur. Misleading information from different sources can also be addressed which is a great way to protect the rights of both the parties while ensuring that their responsibilities with one another are executed.
Create a vehicle expense reimbursement policy letter now so you can ensure that there is proper communication between the management and the employee. This can create a harmonious relationship especially if a particular employee requires the usage of the company vehicle for a lot of times due to work requirements and assignments. Refer to samples and templates for you to have a more efficient time when developing this letter.