Flowcharts examples are visual representations of a sequence of steps needed to complete a process. They are often used for the design or documentation of a process or program. They provide insight towards a process analyzing where possible flaws or bottlenecks in the process may occur.
This page shows different flow chart examples. From the simplest student enrollment flow chart to more complex production planning flow charts, you need only click on the download button to access the files. So have a look around the page and find the particular flow chart that may provide you more information on any work plan, risk assessment, or strategic plans you are working on.
Production Flow Chart
Production Planning Flow Chart
Production Process Flow Chart
Recruitment Flow Chart
Recruitment Process Flowchart
Internal Recruitment Flow Chart
Volunteer Recruitment Flow Chart
Administration Flow Chart Example
Administrative Process Flow Chart
Contract Administration Flow Chart
Office Administration Flow Chart
Accounting Flow Chart
Accounting Process Flow Chart
Accounting Department Flow Chart
Approval Flow Chart
Contract Approval Flow Chart
Project Approval Flow Chart
Business Flow Chart Example
Small Business Flow Chart
Business Communication Flow Chart
Business Development Flow Chart
Company Flow Chart
Construction Company Flow Chart
Manufacturing Company Flow Chart
Communication Flow Chart
Project Communication Flow Chart
Emergency Communication Flow Chart
History of the Flow Chart
In the presentation they made to the members of the American Society of Mechanical Engineers in 1921, Frank and Lillian Gilbreth made the first structured method to document process flow. They called it the flow process chart.
With the introduction of the flow process chart, the new curriculum of Industrial Engineering was born. After which, more engineers contributed to refining the different methods involved in accounting for process flows of different applications.
Types of Flow Chart
Generally, there are four different types of flowcharts that are characterized from the view of different user groups.
- Document Flowcharts – This particular flowchart displays controls used for document-flow in a system
- Data Flowcharts – shows controls over data-flow in a system
- System Flowcharts – displays controls involved at the resource or physical level. A flow chart of a business or project proposal uses this type of flowchart.
- Program Flowcharts – shows controls in a program within a system. A meeting agenda can also be shown through the use of this type of flowchart.
These are in no way the definitive types as many other types are created depending on the purpose and the user group making the flow chart.
Segments of a Flow Chart
- Flow Line – usually indicated by an arrow representing the next logical step or control it points to.
- Terminal – represented by rounded rectangles or circles. It represents the start or end of any process
- Process – indicated by rectangles, it shows any operation being done
- Decision – represented by a diamond. It shows the necessity of an input decision. This is commonly a Yes/No or a True/False condition. For more complex decisions, other predefined process symbols are made to filter data.
- Input/Output – shown as a parallelogram, this includes reception of data and displaying the processed data. This only moves from input to output and not the other way around
- Predefined Process – shown as rectangles with double-struck vertical edges. These represent complex processing steps which may be detailed in a separate flowchart examples.
- Preparations – shown as a hexagon usually called initialization. These represents operations that have no effect but prepare the value for a condition or decision step.
- On-Page Connectors – represented by a circle which shows multiple convergence of control flows that have a single exit flow. This means it will have multiple arrows coming in to it but only one arrow going out.
- Off-Page Connectors – shown as a home plate-shaped pentagon. This represents a “connector” to another page.
- Labelled Connectors – they are simply connectors having an identifying label inside the circle. These are commonly used in complex or multi-sheet diagrams.
- Concurrency symbol – shown as a double transverse line with any number of entry and exit arrows. Commony used when two or more control flows operate at the same time.
Data Flow Extensions
These symbols represent data flow rather than control flow. These are commonly used in data flowcharts but can alternately be used in control flow charts.
- Document – represented as a rectangle with a wavy base
- Manual Input – shown as a quadrilateral with an irregular top sloping from left to right. This is usually indicative of a data entry from any form
- Manual Operation – shown as a trapezoid having the longest parallel side at the top. This shows that an adjustment to the process or operation can only be made manually.
- Data File – represented by a cylinder
In our modern times, there are a number of software programs that some people use to create flowchart diagrams. Depending on its use and function, these software programs exist to assist a specific user.
For example, there are programs specifically made for teachers to assist students flowcharts in the basics of making flowcharts.
Emergency Flow Chart
Emergency Response Flow Chart
Medical Emergency Flow Chart
Enrollment Flow Chart
Open Enrollment Flow Chart
Student Enrollment Flow Chart
HR Flow Chart Example
HR Process Flow Chart
Job Flow Chart
Job Description Flow Chart
Job Analysis Flow Chart
Methodology Flow Chart
Project Methodology Flow Chart
Nursing Flow Chart
Nursing Process Flow Chart
Organization Flow Chart
Business Organization Flow Chart
Company Organization Flow Chart
Program Flow Chart Example
Program Management Flow Chart
Procurement Flow Chart
Procurement Process Flow Chart
Examples of Flow Charts
- Administration Flow Charts – These flowcharts are designed specifically to assist management in outlining processes involved in the office. Examples of which are shown as Administration flow chart, contract administration flow chart, and office administration flow chart.
- Business Flow Charts – Examples of business flow charts are available on the page. They show the basic controls involved in having a small business, controls involved in business communications, and processes involving the development of a business.
- Management Flow Charts – These flow charts show controls involved in project management, risk management, and inventory management. The flow chart examples shown are available for download.
- Recruitment Flow Charts – Show the processes inclusive in the recruitment of personnel. Examples show the recruitment process itself, an example when hiring from within the organization, and another example for volunteer recruitment.
- Production Flow Charts – Needed in defining production planning and the production process of a factory or plant. These flow charts contain the steps to each manufacturing processes involved inside a factory. Examples show involves the planning of the production and the process of production.
- Safety Flow Charts – Shows the steps involved in relation to safety during an incident. Examples include a safety flow chart and safety reporting flow chart.
- Selection Flow Charts – Displays processes involved during a selection. The examples shown are the process selection itself and during the selection of a specific product.
- Enrollment Flow Chart – Describes the steps to take during enrollment. Examples shows a simple student enrollment flow and open enrollment process.
- Accounting Flow Chart – Explains the flow of work in the accounting department. The examples shown are accounting process flow chart and accounting department flow chart.
- Organization Flow Chart – Generally shows the flow of command within the organization. Examples include a business organization and a company organization flow chart.
- Job Flow Charts – Describes the different functions involved on the job. The job description flow chart example shows what are the specific functions involved in the job and the job analysis flow chart example shows detailed examination of a specific job being evaluated.
- Emergency Flow Charts – These flow charts display immediate course of action to be taken in the event of an emergency. Examples shown are for emergency response and medical emergency flow charts.
- Approval Flow Charts – Describes the steps involved during the approval of a project and a contract. Examples shown closely relate although they may differ in terms of the length of the project or the terms involved in a contract. The formulation of the actual business proposal or project proposal is included in this flowchart.
Research Flow Chart
Research Process Flowchart
Research Proposal Flow Chart
Sales Flow Chart
Sales Process Flowchart
Real Estate Sales Flowchart
Selection Flow Chart
Selection Process Flowchart
Product Selection Flowchart
Safety Flow Chart Example
Safety Incident Flow Chart
Safety Reporting Flow Chart
Training Flow Chart
Training Process Flow Chart
Training Program Flow Chart
Development Flow Chart
Product Development Flow Chart
Laboratory Flow Chart
Medical Laboratory Flow Chart
Laboratory Process Flow Chart
Work Flow Chart
Construction Work Flow Chart
Management Flow Chart
Project Management Flow Chart
Risk Management Flow Chart
Inventory Management Flow Chart
Examples of Flow Charts (Continued)
- Training Flow Charts – Displays the processes involved during training and the more specific program training. In relation to training or development, examples of behavior flow chart are available in the site.
- Company Flow Charts – Shows different data or controls involving the operations of the company. The construction company flow chart and manufacturing company flow chart show information regarding the company and processes involved in the actual business run or cycle.
- Communications Flow Charts – Displays information regarding the set of protocols in place during operation or an incident. Project communications flow charts often show information pertaining the proper flow of communication or communication plans taken during a project. The emergency communication flow chart example details steps taken and the appropriate responses during an emergency.
- HR Process Flow Charts – Commonly shows proccesses involved within the HR department. The example shown shows the complete structure of the HR department and its controls within the company from the hiring process, termination, payroll and other functions.
- Project Methodology Flow Charts – Establishes the flow of operation in the conduction of the project. It describes the elements involved in the project and what operations are conducted in relation to the project abstract and project proposal.
- Nursing Process Flow Charts – This flow chart displays the nursing career from formation or preparation to the actual work process. It describes the steps involved from the onset of the nursing career to the acceptance in a nursing program after a nursing assessment.
- Program Management Flow Charts – Describes the flow of management in completing a program. Each process or step involved from the selection of members to the actual delivery of a completed project or program is described in the example shown in the page.
- Procurement Process Flow Charts – Shows the steps involved in a procurement process. The example shown indicates the flow of operation from the procurement request to the selection and delivery of the required item.
- Research Process Flow Charts – Closely resembles the project methodology flow chart, it describes the steps involved in doing the research. A sample of the research process flow chart shows the process of conception of the idea to the approval of the research.
- Sales Flow Charts – Describes methods in achieving sales targets. The examples shown also describes or illustrates the relationship and data process involved with the seller and the buyer.
Whether you need an exact flowchart or just inspiration in making one, all examples and samples found in this page are sure to be of great help in the formulation of your very own flowchart.