A handover report contains the summation of all the work functions and responsibilities that an individual was able to execute within a particular time period. Just like an after action report, you can provide details of what has already been accomplished during your shift within the handover report. However, do not limit the usage of this document just with this function as you can also present or write key notes, reminders, and instructions that can help fulfill all the tasks of the project area or the business division where you and another person who is the expected receiver of the handover report are involved in.
To serve as your guide and reference, we have listed a variety of handover reports that are used in businesses processes, project undertakings, and other programs or activities where the specific document is beneficial and/or necessary. Make sure to browse through and download any of these examples so you can set the direction of the development of your own handover report.
Handover Document for Reporting Example
Handover Progress Report Example
General Building Information Handover Guide: Reporting of Principles, Methodology and Case Studies Example
Why Is a Handover Report Important?
There are varying purposes on why businesses from different industries use a handover report. However, the processes of developing and incorporating this document to work functions is commonly the same in which any outgoing individual from his or her work shift provides information about previous works done and the items that are still needed to be fulfilled to ensure that the transition between shifting schedules will be as smooth and as clear as possible. Here are some of the reasons why handover report is essential to be a part of your business operations:
- A handover report, like simple project status report examples, provide an idea about the current condition of the operations. It can present problems or issues that has not been resolved yet, or those activities and circumstances that requires resolution that is already outside the time premises of the previous shift where the person who is creating the handover report is assigned in. With this, the new employee can be aware of any instances that is needed to be addressed and looked into.
- A handover report can make the work transition from one employee to another more formal and professional. This document can lessen or eliminate confusion between the period of transition. Since there are several ways on how a handover report can be used, it can contain almost everything that the person from the previous shift would like the employee who will take over his or her post needs to be aware of. Hence, this kind of report is a great touch point for internal communications.
- A handover report can ensure that there is clarity when it comes to providing expectations with what is needed to be done by the employee who will take over a particular shift. This is why it is essential for every handover report to be comprehensive. All the details within the report must be complete so that there will be minimal to no chances for unforeseen issues to arise on the next shift from what has already transpired or those in the back logs of the previous shift.
Project Handover Report and Other Project Management Documents Example
Project Handover in Middle-Size Organization Reporting Practices and Guidelines Example
Clinical Handover Report at Nurse Shift Changes Example
Basic Content of a Standard Handover Report
A handover report can be used if you are tasked to fill in the work position of an individual who is either absent, on vacation, or for any particular reason is unavailable as of the moment. The specified document can also be used if you will completely take over the responsibilities of the employee who has worked on the shift prior to yours. There are also instances where a handover report can be given to a new employee who will be designated to a vacated work position due to a previous employee’s resignation.
For a handover report to be maximized and be deemed highly functional, it should convey all the details that are essential to be known by the person who will receive the document. May it be small issues or huge work concerns and processes that are needed to be looked in, a handover report must be comprehensive enough to make sure that the smooth transition between employees can be observed accordingly. Here are some of the details or the basic content that should be found in a standard handover report:
- The date when the handover report has been made
- The name and signature of the individual who made the handover report
- The name of the individual who is expected to receive the handover report and do all the work functions as specified in the document
- The purpose or objective of the handover report’s development and usage
- The duties that are needed to be continued or performed by the employee will take over the work position
- The specification of the conditions of the systems, materials, or machinery that will be under the responsibility of the new employee
- The list of all the people, project status report, requirements, stations, places, and work activities that the new employee needs to familiarize himself or herself with
- The existing issues, problems, and/or concerns that the new employee needs to be knowledgeable of may it be about the management of work operations, the systems used in business processes, or the circumstances that the new employee should face when he or she is about to perform his or her tasks and obligations
- The major work functions, action items, projects, and responsibilities of the work position that has already been done as well as those that are still in pending status
- The company procedures that are needed to be followed whenever there is a need to execute activities, programs, and other efforts
- The upcoming deadlines and events that the new employee must be knowledgeable of to ensure the timeliness of the provision and presentation of his or her deliverable
Keep in mind that the content of a handover report can vary from one purpose to another or one corporate function to another. Hence, you should be critical when it comes to the description of the jobs that are needed to be done, the objective of using the handover report, and the components that are required to be specified to ensure the accomplishment of all work requirements. Feel free to add or remove any information in the list above so that you can come up with a unique handover report that is fit and relevant with the needs of your business and the individuals who will use the document.
Detailed Handover Report Example
Work Handover Report Form Example
How to Ensure the Effectiveness of the Handover Report That Your Business, Team, or Organization Will Use
You always have to come prepared whenever you plan to create a handover report no matter what purpose it is that required you to develop one. A handover report is an essential document as it helps a new employee or an individual who will take over your work post to identify the things that he or she needs to do and look into. Here are some of the ways that can help you ensure the effectiveness of the handover report that you will come up with:
- Make sure that your instructions, discussions, presentations, and notes are clear. There are different information that are necessary to be organized accordingly. As much as possible, divide your handover report content into categories so that it will be easier to identify the things that are essential to be prioritized and those that are expected to be included in the daily functions of the individual to whom the handover report is for.
- Be particular when it comes to the presentation of tasks, requirements, and responsibilities. As an example, do not just explain the project or activity that the new employee will handle. It will be best if you can also give an idea about the critical steps that are essential to be looked into and executed as well as the resources that the employee can rely on.
- Treat a handover report as a professional report. Select the tone, language, and formatting techniques that you will use appropriately. You have to make sure that the document is understandable and that it can truly be of help to the person to whom it is for. The handover report that you will create can also reflect your professionalism. It can even be one of the documents that can be observed by your immediate head for your own assessment.
- As much as possible, your handover report must also specify the back-ups that you have prepared for the new employee. This will make it easier for the transition to be as efficient and as effective for you and the new employee. You can specify the location of all reports, meeting notes, corporate documents, and other materials that will allow the new employee to adapt to the work environment and the designation given to him or her.
Handover Statement of Financial Accounts and Assets on a Change of Headteacher for Reporting Example
Handover Report for a New Committee Example
Handover Report Example
Tips to Incorporate in the Development Processes of a Simple Handover Report
Unlike business annual report examples that have specific dates of creation, development, and updating, there are some handover reports that are developed due to unexpected circumstances like employee resignation, issues on absenteeism, and the like. However, there are also handover reports that are specifically made to prepare a new employee for the tasks that he or she needs to execute for a given time period. These instances include shifting schedules, temporary work designation replacements, employee promotion, and internal or lateral transfers. A few of the tips that can help you create a simple handover report that will work for the advantage of your business include the following:
- Create an outline or a checklist first that will enable you to list down all the items that you want to include in the handover report. With the help of this document, an employee can ensure that the next person who will take over his or her post can be aware of what transpired during the previous shift and the tasks that are still pending or are still necessary to be done.
- Make sure that the handover report can make it easier for two employees to not overlook any necessary work functions during transition which in turn can promote a healthier professional relationship. Being able to do this can help you focus not only on what happened during the past shift but also those that are required to be executed for the next shift.
- Ensure the accuracy and precision of all the items that you will place in the handover report discussion to avoid misunderstandings or miscommunication. This document is commonly necessary for businesses who implement shifting schedules, which is why you have to be truly particular with what you will note in the report.
With the features and functions of a well-formulated and properly formatted handover report, it is considered as one of the most effective means of communication between entities who are involved in the same processes and work procedures but are scheduled or assigned in different time periods. Use our downloadable examples as your references whenever you are already prepared to create an actual handover report for your organization.