A potentially successful and achieving career depends on what path the individual chooses. Usually, the path begins with the simple submission of a resume or job application. Submitting a resume to a future employer is one thing, but creating a resume is another.
Most individuals have an ideal dream job or an ideal company to work for, and unfortunately one cannot simply walk into a company and immediately get a job. Before you get noticed by a potential employer, you first need to submit a resume that is worthy of their time and attention. In this article, we will be helping you create a resume.
Listed below are the elements of a resume. Make sure to include all the elements when you will be creating your own resume.
1. Contact information: Contact information is one of the most important parts of any resume. One of the first things that the human resource personnel will be looking into whether or not you will proceed with the job application process will be your contact information. Make sure to include your current phone number and email address in the resume. You may also see hr resume examples.
2. Summary: Summary basically pertains to the summary of your resume which includes your basic information, skills, work experience, and educational background. The summary is located at the top of the resume’s very first page.
3. Skills: Potential employers also look at skills if they decide to hire an employee or not. Skills refer to both technical skills (computer and software skills, industry specific skills, etc.) and competencies (attitudes, values, etc.) and should also be listed on the resume’s first page. You may also see basic resume examples.
4. Professional experience: Professional experience, also classified as work experience, is another very important section in a resume. Aside from the skills, potential employers will also be looking at work experience in a job applicant’s resume. Skills and professional experience are usually written together or in sequence.
5. Education: Education, also called educational background, refers to the education that the applicant has completed prior to submission of the resume. In a standard resume, high school, college, and post-graduate degrees (including the dates of attendance) are listed down.
Follow these very simple tips when creating an excellent resume layout:
1. Make sure all the information is correct: Listing down the correct information is crucial to the effectiveness of the resume. One wrong information especially when listing down the contact information will greatly affect your chances in getting hired or not. Make sure to double-check the information before you print out and submit the resume to a potential employer. Additionally, human resource personnel will be verifying all the information listed in the resume.
2. Photo at the right-hand corner, contact information on the left: In a standard resume format, the applicant’s photo should be placed in the right-hand corner while the contact information should be placed on the corresponding left side. The applicant’s photo and relevant contact information should be listed in the first page of the resume. The reason why the photo and contact information is listed in the first page is because the employer will be looking at these information first before anything else. The photo is essential as it also adds to the legitimacy and validity of the resume.
3. Summary, skills, and work experience should be on the first page: Aside from the photo and contact information, other important information should also be listed in the resume such as the summary, skills, and work experience. These three information also comprise the three most important sections in a resume. Take note that honesty is vital to a resume as you cannot list down any skill or work experience. Potential employers will eventually notice that you listed down false information in the resume.
4. Personal details is optional: Listing down personal details in a resume is optional. Take note that personal information does not pertain to passwords or pin codes or any information that will compromise your identity or financial security. Personal details in a resume refers to your age, home address, and name of parents and/or siblings. It is not mandatory to include the personal details in the resume as it is understandable you want to protect your personal information from outside forces you don’t necessarily trust.
Follow these simple steps to designing a good and effective resume:
1. Gather the information to be written down: First and foremost, before you start with anything you first to gather information that you will be incorporating in the resume. This information includes your contact information (contact number and email address), work experience, educational background, and skills. You can list them down in a separate piece of paper or a word processing software.
2. Gather a recent (yet formal) photo: While gathering the information that you will be listing in the resume, you can also gather the photo to be attached at the same time. Take note that the photo you will attach in the resume should be formal or business casual. This involves you wearing a suit (with tie), button down shirt, or a collared shirt.
3. Write the resume following a standard format: There is actually no standard format in writing a resume. You just need to incorporate the information and place them on the right page. The first page includes the applicant’s recent photo, contact information, work experience, educational background, and skills. The second page includes the personal information and character references.
Pick from the three US paper sizes below when you will be creating a resume:
A resume is a one or two-page document that is created by an individual and is submitted to various companies or organizations for employment purposes.
A resume is important because it is the first step in the job application process. Individuals simply do not walk into a company and immediately work full-time or even part-time. It is also where the employers will base their initial assessment on.
We hope you found this article to be informative as well as helpful when you will be creating your own resume. Creating a resume is not difficult, as long as you follow the simple tips and the steps we provided, you can easily create your own resume.