The health of your employees matter a lot as this aspect of their lives can affect their productivity and how they perform in the workplace. This is the reason why you, as an employer, have to create measures that can positively impact the overall health of your employees. Smoking policies are commonly created to ensure that employees who smoke can be aware of the behavior that is deemed acceptable by the business regarding the matter.
Moreover, it also protects the rights of those who do not smoke for a healthy and smoke-free working environment. If you want to create a company policy related to smoking activities, browsing through the downloadable samples in this post first can make it easier for you to develop the content and format of the document that you would like to have.
If you will create a smoking policy, you have to ensure that its content can easily be understood by your employees. Just like when making a complete theft policy and other kinds of business policies, guiding your employees accordingly can help you lessen or remove instances where misunderstandings due to misleading information may occur. Developing a complete and precise smoking policy can allow you do just that. Listed below are some of the details that your smoking policy is expected to have.
1. Briefly discuss reliable and credible researches that can present the negative effects of smoking. This is a better way to address the issue on smoking rather than stating details about the negative effects that smoking employees can potentially provide their co-workers with. You may also see financial policy.
2. Be specific when discussing the purpose of the smoking policy. You have to directly information your employees about the reason on why you decided to develop the policy.
3. Provide information about the people who will be responsible for the implementation of the smoking policy. These people must be trained to ensure that the smoking policy will be honored and followed by the employees.
4. Clarify on whether you will allow short breaks for smoking. If this is not applicable to your business operations, then ensure that your employees who smoke are aware that their allotted meal breaks within the day already includes their smoke break. You may also see customer service policy.
5. Give clarity on the areas of the workplace where smoking is considered as a prohibited activity. If you are planning to permit smoking in certain locations near the vicinity of the workplace, make sure to directly point out the smoking areas that you have designated for your smoking employees. You may also see policy examples.
6. List down the consequences that the employees will face if they will not comply with the smoking policy. This will help you further strengthen the implementation of the policy. You may also see policy proposal.
7. Guide your employees accordingly by providing specific policy enforcement methods. The way that you will implement the policy is an important matter of discussion.
8. Specify the advantages that your employees can have if they will work in a work environment that is smoke-free. This can support your objective in implementing the smoking policy. You may also see training policy.
Compared to policy on privacy and employee monitoring, a smoking policy is easier to develop. However, there are still certain elements that you have to consider for you to come up with a comprehensive smoking policy that can be realistically executed. A few items that you need to consider during the creation of a smoking policy are as follows:
1. The timeliness of the announcement and implementation of the smoking policy
2. The presence of details regarding the efforts of the company to protect non-smokers from smoke exposure
3. The ability of the smoking policy to provide essential statements that leads to proper understanding of the policy content
4. The proper identification of smoking areas
5. The professional and formal approach in relation to the enforcement, procedures, and overall execution of the smoking policy. You may also see human resource policies.
6. The appropriate prohibition of smoking to particular spaces especially within the vicinity of the business location
7. The support that the business can provide to their employees who smoke which may include seminars and counseling. You may also see travel policy.
8. The mediums and platforms that will be used for the dissemination of information about the smoking policy
Even if smoking is already not allowed in the location where your business is at, it is still important for your business to come up with its own smoking policy. Not only will it guide the implementation of the policy accordingly, it can also help address all the questions of your employees regarding the smoking policy that they need to follow within the entirety of their employment in your business.
The process of making a smoking policy is actually simple and easy. Here are the steps that you can follow if you have already decided to create the smoking policy for your business:
1. Review existing smoking policies so you can be aware on what it contains. The samples in this post can help you determine the items that you can also incorporate in the smoking policy that you will develop. You may also want to review drug testing policy samples as there are some items in this kind of policy that can enlighten you on how health-related policies should be developed.
2. Have a closed group discussion with your employees. You can select participants that smoke and those that do not. Doing this can help you maintain the balance of the policy content.
3. Consult with professionals who are aware on how to properly develop a smoking policy. The comments and suggestions of the management and other stakeholders of the business must also be considered. You may also see it policies and procedures.
4. Create a draft of the smoking policy that you will put into an actual document. This can help you organize the content of the policy that you will soon come up with.
5. Refer to templates of smoking policies so you can layout and format the document accordingly. Ensure that you will select a template that is close to how you would like your smoking policy to look like. You may also see cash policy.
6. Develop the actual smoking policy and give copies to your employees. You can also post it in the announcement boards of each department.
There are a lot of benefits that a smoking policy can provide your company with. Especially if you are able to implement it successfully, the rewards that you can reap can affect the operations of your business in a positive manner. Here are some of the reasons why we believe that your company needs to implement a smoking policy:
1. A smoking policy can clarify the regulations and rules of the business about smoking.
2. A smoking policy can help disseminate information about its content especially if the company will provide copies to each employees. You may also see workplace policy and procedures
3. A smoking policy can serve as the formal document that can be used as a reference whenever there are some items that are necessary to be clarified regarding the policy execution.
4. A smoking policy can give an idea on what the employer expects from the employees in relation to smoking.
5. A smoking policy can help your business follow regulations and other lawful or legal responsibilities which can help improve the working conditions of your employees. You may also see security policy.
6. A smoking policy can also give an idea on how the employer can help the employees achieve the proper implementation of the policy.
7. A smoking policy can help your employees become more responsible in terms of taking care not only of their health but also of others. You may also see drug testing policy.
8. A smoking policy promotes awareness regarding the benefits of being in a smoke-free working environment.
Just like other policies that a company implements, there are ways on how you can make a smoking policy effective and beneficial to the business. The following are some tips that can help you develop a great and highly-usable smoking policy:
1. Make sure that you will not just create a smoking policy. You have to set meetings and other activities that can help you relay the specific details of the policy to the employees. You may also see dispute resolution policy.
2. It will be best if you will give out single copies of the smoking policy to each employee. This can help the content of the smoking policy become more accessible to them.
3. Do not include unnecessary details in the smoking policy. The policy does not need to be lengthy. Be as specific as possible. You may also see attendance policy.
A smoking policy should be able to unite the management, the employees and other stakeholders of the business to help one another in achieving a healthier working environment. If you can plan, develop and implement a smoking policy in the best way possible, then rest assured that your workplace can be more suitable for productive work interactions. You may also see quality policy.