Even if most people nowadays already knows the value of keeping track of their finances, especially their spending habits, they still do not really bother caring about it at all. You may find keeping track of your spending habits seem like a chore that is too overwhelming. You might ask why should you bother about keeping track of your expenses when you are just spending it on the products and services that you want? But at the end of a day that is spent on spending, you might also begin asking where all your money had gone to.
This is why tracking your expenses on a daily basis can really help you save a lot of money. Do you want to get your finances under control that you know every single transaction your money goes into? Then you should make expense tracking a habit.
You can start little by little; take your time if this is too overwhelming for you to start. You can start by having an expense worksheet that will guide you in your daily and monthly expenses that will surely help you stay on track with your expenses. In this article, we have provided ten examples of expense worksheets that will guide you in keeping track of your expenses effectively.
Expense Worksheet Template
- Google Docs
- Google Sheets
- Google Sheets
Size: A4 & US
Importance of Tracking Your Expenses
Keeping track of your expenses may seem a lot of work when you are just starting to make a habit out of this but once you would already know the value of expense tracking, you might be able to keep up and find your own pace until you will have this as one of your good habits. With that, here are some reasons why tracking your expenses is really important and if that is not one of your habits right now, then you have to now:
- Keeping track of your expenses is really important if you want to keep track of your expenses. It really is important to keep track of how you are spending your money. You have to understand first how to manage your money and finally take control of your finances by keeping track of your expenses.
- Tracking your expenses is also one way of creating financial awareness. Having financial awareness means you would know where your money goes after you have spent it. Having financial awareness means that your splurging habits should be put to an end because it does nothing really important to your lives except temporary bliss. Having financial awareness means that what makes a person a millionaire is not about the amount of money he or she has in his bank accounts but on the way that he or she spends less and tracks where his or her money goes.
- Tracking your expenses can help you identify your serious issues like impulse shopping. It also makes you realize the things that you actually need in your life and the things that you need to prioritize. A big plus is that it helps you realize that you really have to stop spending on things you really do not need and can live without.
- For sure, you have a budget and also, for sure, you always go beyond it. By tracking your finances, you will be able to stick strictly to your set budget. You could go beyond but it wouldn’t be too drastic like it used to; plus, there are also chances that you will go below from than the budget you have set. It only means one thing: savings!
- Tracking your expenses will be able to help you get out of debt if ever you are into one and will keep debts away from you if you do not have right now.
Income and Expense Worksheet
Size: 545.3 KB
Samples Expense Worksheets
Size: 275.8 KB
Retirement Expense Worksheet
Size: 652.5 KB
Sample Expenses Worksheets
Size: 568.8 KB
Monthly Expenses Worksheet
2 Ways on How to Easily Track Your Expenses
Why do other people say it’s difficult to track expenses when all there is to do is to write it down even down to the single coin you have spent with the day or the bills you have paid for the entire month. What’s difficult here is to make this a habit and to be doing it every single day as not everyone does not possess a self-discipline and self-control. With that, here are two simple ways in order to make your expense tracking a breeze, and soon enough, a habit:
1. Track your expenses easily using a mobile phone application or a computer software.
Download a mobile phone application or app or a computer software that can help you in managing your expenses. If you are a visual kind of person these apps and software can provide you with fancy graphs and charts that can help you illustrate your spending habits. It also has a feature wherein you can easily add categories and all you have to do is to enter or type in all the purchases in every budget category.
There are apps and software that contains features that allow you to track your spending whenever, whatever you are doing, and wherever you are. In fact, apps and software apps are even more reliable than the balance at the ATM or online blanking because chances are after spending, the amount you have spent does not reflect in your bank account yet. That is why it is important to keep track of your own expenses so that you do not have to depend on your ATM balance. Plus, it’ll be less tempting; you might want to withdraw if you see that your ATM balance is still quite big.
2. Track Your Expenses Easily Using an Expense Worksheet
While you have digital options, it won’t harm if you would make use of a pen and a paper and create an expense worksheet that is tailored just right for you and your expense. There are some apps and software that you just cannot edit and control, you might as well use a worksheet that you can bring and use and bring anywhere without worrying about battery drain. You can also download some of the expense worksheet we have provided here in this article and see what works well for you. You may also see 10 Time Worksheets Examples in PDF.
Weekly Expense Tracking Worksheet
Size: 168.2 KB
Expense Worksheet Example
Size: 560.7 KB
Monthly Income and Expenses Worksheet
Sample Income and Expenses Worksheet
Guest Travel Expense Worksheet
Size: 278.5 KB
6 Reasons Why You Should Track Your Expenses
If you do not know where your money is going and your cash seems to run out even before your payday comes, then maybe it’s time to consider the following reasons why you should already start tracking your expenses.
- If you are a young adult, tracking your spending is an activity that you can totally benefit from. There are a lot of temptations everywhere and it comes especially during your payday. Perfect timing, right? You want to go for a night out with your friends, you want to go shopping for new clothes, bag, or shoes, you want to try that overpriced coffee, and this list goes on. Then, you just found yourself asking where your money went three days before your next payday. If you would only track your spending, your eyes will finally see your financial reality.
- Tracking your expenses will enable you to save up. Try tracking your expenses at least for a day and at the end of the day, see if there is still room for you to save up. If you track your expenses for a month and realize that you have spent a lot on unimportant things, you will realize, what if you saved it up? What if you added the money you used to your emergency fund? Your future self will thank you for saving up because who knows what can happen in the future?
- It has been advised by the older generation that we should take advantage of your younger years and save up well for your older years. One way of taking advantage of it is by tracking your spending. Tracking your expenses now will enable you to have a financial security and freedom late on.
- Don’t you think it’s already high time for you to know where your money is going? You might have long-term goals such as to travel overseas, buy a car, or own a house. But how can it be achieved when every payday, you act like a one-day millionaire? And when you shop for groceries, you shop like food is going to run out? You might argue that you need all those but little did you know that you have already spent a ridiculous amount of money just for groceries. But how are you going to know that when you have no idea how much you have already spent because you have not tracked your expenses?
- Let’s talk about your goals again— how else are you going to meet all those? You don’t know where your money is going, you don’t know about your financial situation, and you don’t even know how much your savings are, let alone the fact if you have actually saved up?
- Tracking your expenses will enable you to take control of your financial situation. Don’t you think that knowing where your money goes can be quite empowering? After reading the aforementioned five reasons, haven’t you realized that tracking your spending can do a lot for you? And to think these are just some of the reasons why you really should start tracking your expenses. It stops you from impulse shopping, it helps you achieve your financial goals, it helps you cut unnecessary purchases, it keeps you out of debt, it helps you focus on what is worth spending on, and most of all, it helps you in managing your own money.
We hope that even just one of these reasons have inspired you to finally start tracking your expenses. It’s never too late. Start small. Start tracking your expenses for a week until it becomes a habit and soon enough, you can start tracking your expenses for a month.