Information is constantly being passed around every single day. And with that, miscommunication and information overload is inevitable especially when it comes in large amounts. Regardless of its nature—be it business, academic/educational, or personal—you must find a way that you can both deliver and retain any kind of message or information. One of the most effective tools that can both help you in effectively delivering and retaining messages or information is a note.
Notes are very flexible communication tools that you can use for both formal and informal settings. Notes are more than just papers that contain illegible scribbles because it can carry pertinent information. With that said, learn more about what notes are and know how to make one in this article. We have also provided you with relevant discussions regarding notes, as well as note templates in Apple Pages format that can help if you want to create your own.
Compared to a letter, notes are less formal. Notes also contain lesser words and direct to the point when it comes to delivering messages. Notes do not follow any format too. But despite all that, notes are still considered as one of the best communication tools. And for this to be possible, you have to ensure that your note consists of the following essential elements:
1. Date: Dates will help you identify when the note was written. Aside from that, it helps you prove that you were able to provide and send the information on the right day and time, and at the same time, it will also prove that you have sent the information late. Including this date on your note will also help you in keeping track of the information and help you in responding on time.
2. Sender and Receiver Information: Just like any formal and business document, such as letters, providing your information as the sender and the information of your receiver must always be included in your note. By providing this element, you will ensure that the message is being delivered to your intended receiver, and on your receiver’s end, he or she will know that you sent the note and that the note is indeed intended for him or her. You may also see release note examples.
3. Subject: Sure, notes are already short and brief in nature that adding a subject line may already seem unnecessary, but writing a brief subject line enables your receiver to know what the content of your note is all about. Subject lines are basically the gist that would summarize the content of your note. And for a receiver to determine whether the note is urgent of nature, ensure that you have made clear of its urgency starting from your subject line.
4. Message: Maintain coherence and brevity when it comes to writing the main content of your note, which is the message. Without this element, do not anymore bother making a note at all. Always remember that a note is not a letter, meaning, you should never even think of writing a very long and detailed message. Provide the necessary information and write it directly to the point. If you have a lot of important information you wish to share, then maybe you can use other communication medium such as a letter or discuss it using a separate document.
5. Signature line: This element is not a requirement and may not be applicable at all times but if you are going to process legal and professional documents, then you have to consider including this in your note. The signature line would usually contain your name as the signer, your position or delegation, and of course your signature that will prove that you were, indeed, the one who wrote and signed the note.
Unlike letters, notes are way shorter but definitely briefer compared to letters. Similar to writing a letter, a note will also require you to include sufficient information, to use in communicating critical information, and are even used in healthcare, business, and academic fields. With that being said, learn how to make a note with the use of these guidelines:
1. Determine and understand your purpose: Even if this is not the actual writing of a note, you still need to do this step so you can accomplish the rest of the steps and actually have a note as a final result. In order to easily determine your purpose, ask yourself what the note is for and who receives it. Once you will already know the answers to those questions, then the steps ahead can be done smoothly.
2. Plot our outline: As soon as you are able to determine your purpose as to why there is a need for you to create a note, then you can already determine, create, and plot the outline of your note. A note may look simple, but if you want to be as effective as possible, then ensure that it has an outline as its foundation. Additionally, having an outline will enable you to put your thoughts and ideas easily since you have an outline that can guide.
3. Put in your content: With an outline, you can now easily add in the contents of your note.
4. Review and revise: Before you send your note to your intended recipient, ensure that you have covered all the important and essential bases and, most especially, ensure that your note is error-free. Even if your note already looks polished and perfect, this does not mean that it is already void of possible spelling and/or grammar mistakes. Once you notice during your review that it could use some adjustments and revisions, then do so as needed.
Now that you already know the elements that make up notes as well as the guidelines on how you can make one, you should also consider learning how you can still improve your skills when it comes to writing a note with the use of these tips that we have provided below:
As mentioned, notes can be used in various fields and that means that regardless whether such setting is formal and informal, you can still make use of notes as your means of communication. Being a versatile document that it is, the use of notes is not limited to a single purpose. With that said, learn below the types of notes:
1. Formal Notes: Notes such as medical notes, promissory notes, consignment notes, and other business-related notes are classified under this type, for these are the types of notes that are made and exchanged by professionals. Business sectors would often make use of this type of note as this can help them in recording significant transactions, events, and other pertinent data. Usually comes in a logical and comprehensible manner, this type of note is used when delivering information as fast as possible without compromising its quality.
2. Informal Notes: This type of note is the complete opposite of the aforementioned one as this type of note can be used for any purpose you want it to serve. Examples of notes under this type include thank-you notes, farewell notes, and even death notes. This is the type of note that you can send to your family and friends without having to worry about having a structure and observing formality. However, business sectors can still use this type of note only if they use it for non-work–related announcements and reminders to their employees.
Notes are defined as a brief record that contains information, such as facts, topics, thoughts, and announcements. It can also be used as your aid especially if you want to keep yourself reminded of something. It is a document that follows no specific and standard format, unlike letters. It is also a document that most people would use if they want to communicate in a quick but still efficient method.
If you use a note for either personal or professional purpose, you can still get its benefits which include:
So there you have it! We hope that this article has been of great help for you, particularly the note templates that we have provided. Keep in mind that these are easy to download and easy to use so regardless of your note writing skills, you can still create even a basic note with the use of these templates.