Most universities screen their potential students during admissions. In this academic process, candidates are not only expected to send their application forms, answer entrance examinations and show up during scheduled interviews. Upcoming college students may also be asked to write a college essay as a part of their initial requirements.
Writing a college essay is a way for students to present themselves or even their ideas in a unique manner. There are different forms and types of college essays which depend on the regulations followed by the school where you would like to be accepted for enrollment. Before you start writing your college essay, you may want to view the essay examples that we have listed for you, so you can have more idea on what to put in the college essay that you will create.
College Essay Outline Template
College Narrative Essay Template
Research Paper For College Essay Template
Narrative Essay Outline For College Template
College Admission Essay Example
Law School College Essay Sample
Reminders When Writing a College Essay
A college essay can help your bid for enrollment be realized. There are universities that only accept a specific number of students per school year, and your college essay might just be that document which can help you be noticed by your school of choice. Before you even start writing the content of your college essay, there are some essay writing basic guide that you should always keep in mind. As an applicant, you need to ensure that you are aware of the following:
- It is very important for you to read and follow college essay writing instructions. Some applicants tend to be overwhelmed by the admission processes of universities. There are also some who think that they are fit candidates and are sure to get a spot for enrollment. These instances can lead to rush decisions like writing a college essay right away without reading the instructions that are created by the academic institution. Creating a great college essay can lose its purpose if the content of what you have written is not what the university is asking for.
- The content of your college essay should be different from that in your application form. A lot of college essays ask candidates to share something about themselves. A common mistake that candidates do is that they repeat basic information about them which are already found in the application form. You have to utilize and maximize the usage of all the documents that you will submit. As much as possible, veer away from repeating the items that you have already stated in the other documents that you have created.
- College essays are different, may it be in terms of topics or structures. Different universities have different ways on how they would like candidates to write a college essay. This will depend on the information that they want to know or the specific kind of candidates that they are looking for. Just because you have already written a college essay for one university does not mean that it can also apply on your next applications.
College Application Essay Example
Sample College Essay Example
Tips in Creating the Content of Your College Essay
If you want to create a college essay that works, you need to give importance on the content that you will provide the admissions officer of your target university with. Here are some tips that you may follow when creating the content of your college essay:
- Always be organized. Your college essay is a reflection of who you are. Maintain organization when presenting yourself so that your discussion can easily be followed by the person who will review your college essay.
- It will be best if you will brainstorm and thoroughly think of what you will put in the college essay. Not everything that comes to your mind first is helpful for your application. You have to make sure that the information that you will share in your college essay can help you be accepted for enrollment.
- Create an outline of your desired content. We suggest you to use an outline or a draft that can initially show you the flow of your essay. If you have this tool on hand, you can easily improve specific parts of the essay before finally writing the college essay that you will submit.
- Write an engaging introduction. With the number of applicants that send their applications each year, it is essential for you to get the attention of the university that you want to be enrolled in. A catchy and appealing introduction can help you engage the people who will review your college essay. If strongly created, the way you start your essay can make your college essay stand out from the others.
- Provide reasons on why you are one of the best candidates for admissions. When writing a college essay, think of how the school can benefit from you. It is not always about what you can get from the school. You need to present yourself as an asset or an added value so the university can be more convinced to accept you as a student.
- Know what matters to you and how you would like to be perceived. If you will keep the content of your college essay both personal and professional, academic institutions can have a perception that you can balance things accordingly which is a sign of great attitude and ethics. Always state information from your own point of view and relay the message in a formal manner.
- Make the content of your college essay precise, concise and direct to the point. Your college essay should contain information that are relevant to the instruction given to you. If you will include details that can directly hit the needs of the school, then you can easily get the approval that you need to be accepted for enrollment.
Printable College Essay Samples
Simple College Essay Example
Good College Essay Example
What Not to Do When Writing a College Essay
Aside from the things that you should always keep in mind, there are also some items that you should not do when creating the content of your college essay. Being knowledgeable of the pitfalls of college essay writing can help you come up with a more impressive essay. Listed below are a few common essay mistakes that you need to avoid when writing your college essay.
- Creating a lengthy essay without substance. There are college essays with strict word count requirements. In this case, try to hit the minimum words required and ensure that the essay that you will write is packed with relevant information and helpful details. The length of your essay is not what universities look for. More than the words that you can put in your essay, your writing style, and substance are those that are being generally rated.
- Trying to impress the school too much. Presenting yourself in an outstanding manner is far different from providing too much information that can already be considered as a form of boasting. Know when to stop when listing down your achievements and/or credentials.
- Using jargon and words that are not commonly used in the field of academics. As much as possible, write a college essay using simple words. You can easily relay your message if your choice of words are understandable.
- Pretending to be someone who you are not. Do not lie when writing a college essay. Remember that you will be subjected with a background check before the university finally gives you the signal for enrollment. Always be yourself.
Sample College Admission Essay Example
Sample College Essay Example in PDF
Personal College Admissions Essay Example
How to Use College Essay Samples
If writing a college essay is unfamiliar territory, then using samples and templates as references can help you a lot. Here are some ways on how you can maximize the usage of college essay samples:
- Refer to college essay samples but do not copy their content. As discussed above, there are different kinds of college essays. The samples available online may not always be fit for the essay that you are required to write. Referring to college essay samples should only give you an idea of what to write and not what to plagiarize.
- Look at the structures of different college essay samples. Once you are already familiar with different kinds of content structures and formats, then it will be easier for you to create a college essay from scratch. The content of your college essay can also be more highlighted and given focus with if you can use a structure that is organized and comprehensive.
- Find inspiration from the best college essay samples. The greatest thing about reviewing college essay samples is that you can get a lot of inspiration on how to create a college essay in different ways. This inspiration can help you be a better writer which can positively affect the kind of college essay that you can come up with.
Do not underestimate the benefits of having a well-formatted and informative college essay. This document may only be a sheet of paper or a digital document but it can greatly affect your college admissions application.
May it be a last minute essay writing or a planned and prepared college essay creation, make sure that you can make the most out of using a college essay by always remembering the guidelines and tips that we have shared with you.