It is important that everyone on a company, organization, or team is on the same page before a distinct action or decision is implemented. Therefore, it is important to have a effective method of communication so that those concerned can prepare and adjust to what the action or decision may entail.
In this sense, sending in a notice to an individual or group that may be affected by the subject is an effective way to inform them in advance. This allows them to prepare whatever may be needed of them and from them. That way there is a seamless coordination in when things start to roll out.
In order for a notice to serves its purpose it must include its essential elements. Elements ensure that all necessary points are covered and necessary information are provided. When a notice lacks certain points or information it can be the reason it is ineffective, and discredits its accuracy and correctness. Hence, to help make sure the notice that you create is effective and credible, here is a list of the essential elements you should include:
1. Heading: A small detail helps make the notice appear more official, important, and immediate. The heading should indicate that the document is a notice. It can also be more specific; for example, when a document has the heading Eviction Notice and is plastered on a certain building or establishment, it means that whoever occupies the space has been evicted. Specifying the heading makes it easier for the reader/s to immediately understand what it is for.
2. Pertinent information: It is essential that you include pertinent information about the notice. It must be able to answer the immediate questions of the reader/s. Details and information should answer the 5 Ws and one H questions, specifically the what, who/whom, when, where, why, and how. Providing pertinent information for the notice ensures that the purpose is easily comprehended.
3. Introduction: Although a notice should be direct to the point and brief, it is still important to include a short introduction. The introduction can be where you present the purpose of the notice, basically an overview of what can be read on the entirety of the notice. Aside from that, an introduction can allow the reader/s to prepare for what can be stated on the body.
4. Supporting details: Since the introduction is basically just an overview, you need to provide additional supporting details that will clearly explain the purpose of the notice. That way there will be no room for any questions. This also justifies and proves the credibility of the document. Formal notices or legal notice provide specific code or name for laws or rules that has been followed in the issuance of the notice.
5. Closing: The notice should be concluded on a strong note. The closing should reiterate what decision or what subject has been discussed in the body. However, it should just be succinct and straightforward. In some notices the closing provide the details such as contact information in case queries may arise.
A notice can either bring good or bad news; thus, it is important that the tone and message is conveyed clearly through how it is written. Although it has quite some differences, a notice functions and can be written similar to a formal letter in a sense that it must use a professional tone and straightforward manner. To help make sure you make an effective notice, here is an easy guide you can follow:
1. Determine what kind of notice you want to create: A notice can be used for any purpose. This means that it can also have various types that you can choose from. Before you begin creating a notice it is best that you know what kind or type of notice you want to create. Determine what best suites the purpose it will serve. You can check out notice templates and examples to help you easily create the specific notice that you want.
2. Make a first draft/outline: If you decide to start creating a notice from scratch, it is best to start out with a draft or outline first. Making an outline ensures that the flow of how you present information is seamless and coherent. It will also allow you to create the notice to fit the specific purpose it will be used for. Aside from that, it also helps you avoid making mistakes on the final draft. In addition, once you have an outline, you can easily change things up if needed since it is still not the final output.
3. Provide pertinent information: The main purpose of a notice is to inform the reader/s about specific information regarding a certain subject. Thus, it is important that you provide accurate pertinent information about the subject/message that you want to convey. For example, in a resignation notice you need to clearly explain the reason why you have decided to leave your current position, but aside from that you need to provide the exact date you want to exit from the company or organization. It is essential that you answer the what, who/whom. when, where, why, and how questions so that your notice can be comprehensible.
4. Ensure there is an authorized signature: A meeting notice needs an authorized signature so that reader/s can be assured that the information stated are accurate and credible. In any other notices, a signature from the authorized body/person means that what has been discussed as well as the information stated are all final and factual. Their signature means that they vouch for the information/decision/action that is conveyed in the notice.
5. Proofread and edit: Before publicizing the notice, make sure there are no mistakes and errors. Proofread the notice for any spelling errors, accuracy of information, and so on. You can also ask input from colleagues if the way you presented the information is good and effective. If there are changes, make sure that you edit it accordingly. Lastly, it is best to proofread and edit the notice before you submit to a higher-up and asking him/her to affix his/her signature.
Now that you know that a notice is a good document to use to inform others of decisions and provide information before a certain action is executed, it is important to be keen when you start making it. Contrary to what you might be thinking, a notice is not that hard to make. But should you still find it intimidating to make, here are some tips you can refer to:
As mentioned, a notice can be used for various of reasons and serve different purposes. It is important that you are familiar with the various types so that you can easily choose which is the most suitable to use for what purpose. Hence, listed below are some of the types of notices you can use:
Here are answers to some frequently asked questions about notices:
As mentioned, a notice can be used for varying reasons. Thus, there is really no right or wrong format to use. It is best to tailor it to specifically fit the purpose it will be used for. The format is just a minor detail in the process of making it, you should totally focus on providing accurate and clear information.
A notice is a useful form of communication. Here are some of the benefits to using it to communicate with others especially in a professional setting: