Confusion, when not addressed can actually result in negative things like misunderstandings and misinterpretation. May it be in our personal lives or within the corporate processes that we are involved in, it is only fitting to always ask whenever we are unaware of the actual meaning or implementation of certain things. Even if we are confused, we still have to ensure that we will be professional and civil when asking about the specifications of regulations and other things that concern us.
Especially in the work environment, there are a lot of confusing things that may take place. One of these things is the sick leave policy of a company. Employees are entitled to use sick leaves just in case they are not feeling well or if they need to attend to medical concerns within the time duration where they are expected to be present at work. Since an absence due to sickness will be filed, the days of absence will still be paid by the business. With money involved in this process, it is essential for the business and the employee to have a full understanding with regards to sick leave credits and the regulations that abound it.
Reasons for Confusion in Relation to Sick Leave Policy
Corporate policies are important to be followed as they protect both the rights of the business and the employees. Different businesses have different policy examples for implementation as well. With this, there are no general policies that are a copy of those used by other establishments. Start-up businesses commonly fall into the pit of creating policies that are still not polished. Though it may happen to existing businesses as well, the possibility of having policy loopholes are lessened and minimized in this situation.
Confusion may result when there are things that are either vague or misleading. Especially in the sick leave policy of the business, employees need to ensure that they can get what they deserve – may it be on the number of sick leaves per year that they can acquire or the pay that they expect to receive when they use their sick leaves. Some of the reasons why confusion with regards the sick leave policy of the company may exist include the following:
- There may be policy clauses that contradict with one another. If there are policy clauses which you think do not go well with one another or which content are contradicting, you should already ask the human resource department or your immediate head about it. The entirety of the sick leave policy should be reviewed accordingly to ensure that you have a full grip on both your responsibilities and benefits if you plan to file a sick leave in the future.
- The sick leave policy is written in a general manner. Since there are differences on how sick leave policies can be written and created, there are some areas that may lack specifications. If you think that the content of the sick leave policy is too vague or there are some items that do not apply to the operations of the business, then it is only right for you to raise a question related to it.
- There are no specifics especially in relation to sick leave credits. The number of sick leaves that you are allowed to use per year and the scope and limitations of their use shall be included in the sick leave policy. The absence of these items can surely create confusion to employees. Do not hesitate to ask questions about this matter if you want to ensure that your leave credits are truly allocated and calculated properly.
- The regulations of the sick leave usage are not clear. There are sick leaves that require medical certificates before being credited. Moreover, there are also companies who do not require any documentation as long as sick leave credits are still available for the employee within an operational year. Even if you are aware of the numbers of sick leaves that you still have, there may be some regulations and rules that may hinder you from using them.
Should I Write a Confusion Regarding Sick Leave Policy Letter?
If you are asking yourself whether there is a need for writing a confusion regarding sick leave policy letter, the answer will be yes. May it be about the company’s appraisal policy, petty cash policy and the like; it is better for you to know direct answers rather than leaving everything with faith and assuming that all things will work out the way you want them to. Here are some of the reasons why we think you should create a letter of inquiry if you are confused with the sick leave policy of the business where you are currently working:
- A confusion regarding sick leave policy letter can reflect your professionalism. Even if you can just ask your immediate head about this matter, it will be more formal if you will create a letter including all your inquiries. This way, the transaction can be more corporate and not just a mere exchange of words.
- Writing a letter about your confusion about the sick leave policy can alert the human resource department that there are some things that they need to look into, review, or change. Even if it is not all the time that confusion is due to the negligence or fault of the business, knowing that some employees are having a hard time understanding the sick leave policy content can make the management adopt measures to address the situation.
Steps in Writing a Confusion Regarding Sick Leave Policy Letter
Writing a letter of inquiry about your confusion regarding the sick leave policy of your company is not as hard as you think it is. If you are already guided by the basic steps of letter writing and if you have all the information that you need to present, then it will already be easy for you to come up with an effective and usable document. The steps that you may follow when writing a confusion regarding sick leave policy letter are listed below.
- Before writing the letter, review the sick leave policy again so you can identify the exact items that you do not understand.
- Create a draft which includes all your concerns and the items that you would like to be re-discussed.
- Open a confusion regarding sick leave policy letter sample so you can have a guide when developing your own letter.
- If you want the format of your letter to be sleek and business-like, use a template that can help you to do so.
- Start with writing the heading of the letter and your salutation.
- The first paragraph of your letter must include the most important detail of the letter. Write your concerns and the purpose of the letter. More so, give the exact information that leads to your confusion.
- The second paragraph of the letter must discuss the entirety of your confusion regarding the sick leave policy. Present the confusing parts of the policy in detail so that precise answers can be given by the management.
- You can include more paragraphs based on the number of your concerns or the number of things that you would like to clear.
- Your last paragraph shall include your appreciation for the time that the management has given to review your letter. You can also include your expectations with regards the date that you would like to have a response as a part of the letter’s list of a call to actions.
- Include your signature which may also have your work designation and the department, area, or division where you belong.
What to Include in a Confusion Regarding Sick Leave Policy Letter
Your confusion regarding sick leave policy letter must be comprehensive for it to be effective. The first thing that you need to remember when writing this kind of letter is that your purpose or objective of being enlightened about a certain information that you are having a hard time understanding must be addressed. A complete and precise confusion regarding sick leave policy letter includes the following details:
- The name of the person who wrote the confusion regarding sick leave policy letter
- The date when the letter has been written and sent
- The purpose of sending the letter
- The name of the person who is intended to be the letter receiver
- The job position or designation of the letter receiver
- The contact information of the letter sender where he/she may be reached by the management if answers to the inquiry are already available
- The specific items within the sick leave policy that the letter sender could not understand
- The call to action that the letter sender is expecting the letter receiver to do
Being able to include all these details in the confusion regarding sick leave policy letter can make it easier for the letter receiver to understand the situation in the point of view of the letter sender. Aside from complete content, the format and layout of the document must also be taken into consideration.
If you are all set in drafting this kind of letter, remember to always be polite when asking your inquiries. There will always be a possibility that your confusion may be due to your lack of understanding rather than technical faults. May it be in the business or your side where the confusion has been made, maintain formality so that you can also retain a strong relationship with the company.