Some people think that a maid of honor is just one of the bridesmaid with more authority. However, it is important to note that although that may be true, the maid of honor has quite a few responsibilities on her shoulders. And although the bridesmaids are special people for the bride, the maid of honor can be the bride’s sister or best friend. The role is typically given to the person the bride can trust the most when it comes to other wedding responsibilities.
With that in mind, one of the tasks of a maid of honor is to deliver a speech during the reception. The speech is intended to convey your appreciation and love for the bride and the couple, give a small background about your relationship, extend your well-wishes, and so on. More than that, it is meant to express your love for the couple.
What Makes a Good Maid of Honor Speech?
You role as a maid of honor has led you to the responsibility of delivering a speech not only intended to express your love and well-wishes to the couple but to also share a glimpse of the couple’s relationship based on how you experienced it first hand, most especially the relationship you have had with the bride. It can be a refreshing, heart-warming, and funny way for you to relive those memories and share it with everyone else. But, before that, here are some of the elements that makes a good maid of honor speech:
- Speech structure
- Brevity and clarity
- Insightful and relatable points
- Easily understandable language
- Articulate delivery
- Audience engagement
Maid of Honor Speeches Example
Strong Family Ties Maid of Honor Speech Example
What Does the Maid of Honor Really Do?
Aside from delivering a speech, what other tasks does the maid of honor actually do? What separates the role form that of the bridesmaids? To help you understand the actual role of a maid of honor, here are some of the things she does before or during the wedding:
- Simply put, the maid of honor is the bride’s right hand that helps her with the planning, making decisions, and even help navigate family difficulties and other issues.
- As the head of the bridesmaid, the maid of honor is responsible for keeping the bridesmaid organized during the wedding ceremony and reception.
- In some cases, the maid of honor is the planning head when it comes to a bridal shower and sometimes even a bachelorrete party.
- The maid of honor is also in charge of helping the bride get dressed and help her stay calm on he day of the wedding.
- As mentioned, the maid of honor is tasked to give a speech or a toast for the couple during the wedding reception or rehearsal dinner.
- In the USA, couples that get legally married often ask the maid of honor to be one of the signatories or witnesses for the marriage license.
- Lastly, but perhaps the most important role of the maid of honor is being a good listener and strong shoulder for the bride to lean on during stresses and difficulties during the wedding planning and so on.
Maid of Honor Speech Checklist Example
Points to Include and Avoid in a Maid of Honor Speech
The content of your speech can either lighten up the mood of the ceremony or ruin it. As the maid of honor, you would want the former to happen during your speech especially if you want to keep the relationship you have with the bride prior to the wedding. Therefore, you should know what points you can include in your speech and what you should avoid. With that, here is a list of the points you should include and avoid in a maid of honor speech:
Points to Include
- An expression of gratitude to the guests, families, and everyone who made the day possible for the couple.
- A quick, funny or witty introduction of yourself and the relationship you share with the bride.
- A brief background of how you have known the couple and for how long.
- Stories from the past: stories that you share with the bride or the couple that can be sentimental and/or a bit funny.
- A story of the first time you met the groom and how you knew she was the one for the bride or how you saw both of them grow as an individual and as a couple.
- Expression of your well-wishes for the couple’s future.
Points to Avoid
- Refrain from mentioning any ex-boyfriends, fiances, husbands, or any past relationships the bride has had.
- Avoid comparing the relationship the bride has with the groom to any past relationship.
- Swearing or using obscene language even when telling a joke or two is a no-no.
- Even if it is really funny, try to leave the drunken nights in the past. Avoid telling any stories that could be too embarrassing for the bride.
- If you have known the groom for too long, embarrassing stories of his should be left out of your speech as well. Do not cross the line between poking fun and humiliating him in front of the guests.
- Refrain from sharing the personal lows of the newlywed’s relationship. The guests have no business learning about their arguments, breakups, and so on.
Prince Charming Theme Maid of Honor Speech Example
Tips in Delivering a Maid of Honor Speech
Now that you have an idea on how to make an awesome maid of honor speech, you should now focus on how you can deliver it flawlessly. With that said, here are some useful tips that will surely help you make the best maid of honor speech of all time:
- Scrap generic praises, instead use stories that will paint a colorful picture of the bride.
- Transform into an awesome storyteller.
- Keep in mind that this speech is not about you, it is about the bride and the couple.
- Avoid mentioning past relationships.
- Begin your speech by focusing on the bride, end with the couple.
- Keep it short but full of impact.
- Pause after delivering a joke.
- Refrain using inside jokes.
- Have fun and poke a little fun on the couple, but not to the extent of humiliating them.
- Practice reading your maid of honor speech out loud.
A maid of honor is someone the bride can lean on in times when she’s confused and stresses. She helps her plan out the wedding of her dreams. With that in mind, the maid of honor is someone the bride trusts. The speech you are about to give as the maid of honor will really help the bride feel loved and at ease, so make sure you make it memorable. We hope that this guide has helped you make an awesome maid of honor speech.