While studying a specific subject matter, you have to be aware that there are certain items that you need to take into account for you to come up with an output that is highly-usable and beneficial for those who intend to use it. The factors that can affect the efficiency and usability of your study are also the same factors that can impact the content of the report that you will make from it. As a thorough discussion of a research or corporate review undertaking, an analytical report should have all the details that are expected by various stakeholders.
537+ Report Templates in PDF | Word | Excel | PSD | Google Docs | Apple Pages | Google Sheets | Apple Numbers | Publisher | Illustrator - START DOWNLOADING
When tasked to develop an analytical report, you have to be keen on how you do the processes of research, content organization, report development and finished the analytical review. If you do not know how to make this kind of report, do not worry as this post can help you understand parts and procedures related to the creation of analytical reports.
What Should be in a Basic Analytical Report?
An analytical report must be complete so that its usage can be maximized. More so, a comprehensive analytical report can impact businesses and other entities on a bigger scale. If you want to have an analytical report that is complete with all the details included in it, here are some of the information that you should not forget to include in the formal report document:
- A title page which includes the main purpose of the analytical report or the topic as to which the report will revolve.
- The table of contents arranged based on the chronological and/or logical order of discussion.
- A clause where the methods used for the activity are specified and presented accordingly.
- The main discussion of the analytical report broken down into actual and specific sections varying on the scope of the undertaking, which includes:
- The heading of the particular discussion.
- A sub-heading for a more defined topic presentation.
- The body of the discussion.
- The conclusions based on the gathered information and results showcased in the analytical report.
- The recommendations should be given by the person who made the report varying on the conclusions identified.
- Sections for appendices and bibliography, especially when requested or is necessary.
Things to Remember while Making an Analytical Report
Before starting your undertaking to come up with an analytical report, you first have to make yourself knowledgeable of the basic ideas with regards to analytical reports. This can help you prepare for the document development. Some of the items that you always need to keep in mind when making an analytical report are listed below.
- Analytical reports can either be a short report or a lengthy discussion of a subject matter. Analytical reports usually differ from one another due to certain factors involved in its usage. Most of the time, the purpose of the analytical report is what makes its content vary when compared to other reports.
- The people to whom the report is meant for can affect the format and content of the analytical report. For example, an analytical report for the upper management may be more precise and detailed when compared to the analytical report presented to each department.
- The negative and positive aspects of the topic must be discussed. You can be more specific when it comes to comparing these elements so you can be more open to proposals and the like which can benefit the management and the development of the analytical report.
How to Write an Effective Analytical Report
The success of your analytical report is a combination of accurate content discussion, proper formatting, strong and appropriate recommendations and overall document development. That being said, here is how you can write an effective analytical report:
- Gather the information that you need for your analytical report to be credible. The data that you have collected can greatly affect the effectiveness of the discussion that you will have.
- Identify the resources that you can look into if you need to further list down details which are not identified in your initial information collection.
- Assess the information that you have collected. If you want to have a thorough synthesis of this information, you have to use metrics that can identify the validity of the sources’ claims, arguments, suggestions, and other findings.
- Properly report the items that you have observed. Your analytical report must be based on the actual context of your gathered information. You have to be accurate when doing this as wrong information can affect the entire document.
- Present the information in a way that it will be best used by the people to whom the report is for. You can either base the organization of content depending on the importance of the discussion, the outline example that you would like to achieve or the comparison that you would like to highlight.
- Come up with an appealing and strong recommendation with the help of the conclusions that you have made. Your report should end in a way that stakeholders can be influenced to decide or look into the matter as to how you would like them to.
Tips in Analytical Report Development
For you to develop a great analytical report, there are some things that you need to be aware of. Some tips can make the entire process of analytical report development easier, faster, and more efficient. A few of the tips that we are sure can be useful when making an analytical report are as follows:
- Always refer to information that is of quality. You have to ensure that you have a strong foundation so that your analytical report will not look weak during presentation and assessment. You can do this be using sources that are related to the industry where your business belongs.
- Make sure that the process of your research can help you have the needed information for you to specify concepts and other parts of the discussion in a precise and fact-based manner.
- Ensure that the research that you will refer to are done by professionals who have already provided an impact on your field of expertise.
- Use references or report examples while conducting an analytical report. Be keen when selecting the samples and templates that you will use as guides as these documents can influence the development process of your own analytical report.
It may look hard to create an analytical report but trust us when we say that with proper guidance and effective references, it will be easy for you to have your own analytical report. Remember the items that we have discussed in this article and use these as your guides when you are already starting to create an analytical report either for your business or the company you work for.