The cover letter of a business proposal is as important as the proposal itself. And it is quite distressing to know that some people do not put the right amount of time and effort in making a cover letter. It is in fact very critical to just see the cover letter as additional work in creating the whole business proposal.
Proponents of business proposals spend countless days and nights perfecting the business proposal but only spend a couple of minutes making a cover letter. Not only does it shout neglect, it can also be interpreted as being unprepared. Remember that the cover letter covers the proposal, it is the first piece of the proposal that the investor sees.
The cover letter directly addresses the person in charge of reviewing your business proposal. It is your chance to blow away and convince the investor to take a chance with your proposal. Neglecting its importance will greatly affect the chances of achieving the intended success of the business proposal. You may also see email cover letter examples.
The cover letter of the business proposal is one of the most important parts of the business proposal itself. It has been proven that in general, three parts of the business proposal are examined meticulously; the cover letter/introduction/executive summary, the costs and the timescales.
The cover letter has a strong correlation with the executive summary of the proposal. Therefore, the cover letter is the stripped down version of the executive summary. It only presents the key points on the major topics of the business proposal. It stands independently on its own; when the investor is unable to read the business proposal as a whole or even the executive summary, the cover letter can still present the major keys of the whole business proposal. You may also see business proposal letter examples.
Your cover letter is your chance to have a personal word with the investor and prepare him/her for what’s in-store. It should state that there is in fact a business proposal attached with the letter and that you are applying for a business loan or to start your own business. It also states the benefits the investor will gain when they invest in your business and it helps you make the investors believe that there is a good return of investment in your business. You may also like application letter examples & samples.
It does not merely introduce what the business proposal is all about, in fact it clearly summarizes the major points made in the executive summary. It carefully distills the message you are trying to relay in your business proposal. And since it is a summary of a summary, it does not need to be lengthy. So long as the major points have been thoroughly discussed and presented, your cover letter is doing just fine. You may also check out professional cover letter examples.
As mentioned before, it also acts as the cover of your proposal. Therefore, it should display your passion, eagerness and desire to fully pursue and work for the intended project. As it aims to convince the investors, important details that greatly affect the whole proposal must be included in the cover letter. You might be interested in business letter examples.
Aside from all the necessary parts like the address, greetings, closings, etc. it is important to know the major structure of a cover letter for your business proposal.
It is the most important part of you letter. It is the hook and it should immediately capture the reader’s attention. You can start it broadly but not too broad that you’ll need to dive into so much detail. However, it is always a better option to be direct and straight to the point. You may also see appointment letter examples & samples.
You introduction must briefly introduce you as the proponent and should carefully explain your purpose and ideas. Shock them with your unique ideas and urge them read more of the letter and the business proposal. It should be captivating and spark interest in your proposal. It is important to clearly but briefly the purpose and goals of your proposal in your letter.
For example, “This letter is intended to formally propose septic tank cleaning services for the Name of Apartment Complex. We have been successfully the number one septic tank draining and cleaning service provider in more than 10 apartment complexes in CITY, for the past 25 years and would be happy to give testimonials from our customers. We respond 24/7 to all emergency requirements and make sure the septic tanks in every apartment is working efficiently.” You may also like complaint letter examples & samples.
The body of your letter should be direct and avoid indecision. It must clearly explain and justify the purpose of your business proposal. ‘Maybes’ and ‘Ifs’ have no place in your letter since nothing breaks trust faster than indecision and being unsure. You have to prove that you are worth every penny that the investor might invest in your proposal. You may also check out reference letter examples.
It communicates how qualified you are as the proponent in implementing the proposal. The body should provide evidence of your qualifications and the study you have conducted in the feasibility of the proposed subject. It should be clear to the investors that you have given your proposal enough thought, study and research so that can trust your vision. You might be interested in employee reference letter samples.
Eliminate the possibility of doubt. The investor must fully understand your objectives and how you plan to achieve them. Always highlight your qualifications but avoid sounding conceited. For example you can describe how adequate you are in the field, how well trained your team is or how advance your equipment are. This will let the investor know that you or your company are entirely capable of doubling what they invest. You may also see new hire welcome letter examples.
In the conclusion, always invite them to read the business proposal as a whole. It’s always a welcomed lead-on to encourage the reader to read the rest of your proposal since you have provided a well-researched and well-written proposal that supports your claims. You may also like official resignation letter examples.
Always aim to encourage them to take a chance on reading and understanding the rest of your proposal since it is the main purpose of your cover letter. Most importantly, include your contact information in the closing of your letter so they know when and where to reach you whenever they need further discussion on the matter. You may also check out termination letter examples & samples.
1. Should you decide to use an electronic format or even yet a video and go paperless, it is also acceptable. However, if you want to pursue the traditional way, the cover letter of your business proposal must be in a business or professional format. It must follow the structure of basic business letter.
You can start with the basic format before the actual content. The header of your letter should include the name of your company, your address, and your contact information. You can then add the name of the recipient along with his/her designation and their company’s contact information. Do not forget the date in your letter. Then, address the recipient with his/her title, for example, Mr. Ms. Mrs. Engr., etc. After so, choose the right closing for your letter like ‘Sincerely’ or ‘Respectfully.’ At this point your letter should look like this:
2. Depending on the nature the proposal, it can either be solicited or unsolicited, the requirement for the proposal or the problem to be addressed must be discussed. If the proposal is solicited, ask yourself why the investor has sought out your products or services, or what problems do they have that you can easily solve. In this way, you can start the introduction of your letter accordingly. For example in a solicited proposal you can start by saying: “As we discussed in our last meeting…” and then immediately state the issue/requirement in the same single sentence. You may also see how to write a personal letter with examples.
If you are submitting an unsolicited business proposal, start your letter immediately with a hook. You need to truly shock your readers so they can be encouraged to read more. Stating a pertinent question always works or monetary consequences of a problem to evoke strong emotions. For example, “How would you like to increase your sales by 50% in the next 6-months while lowering your marketing expenses?” or “An average company loses $1,000 every day on electrical wastage! Our solution eliminates that electrical waste.” You may also like notice letter examples.
3. Advertise what you can bring to the table. Tell your readers that you have conducted studies to help prove that you can be a big asset to the company. Talk about the analysis you conduct to help figure out the problem and the solutions you can and will provide. State the results of those studies that back up your claims. It can be presented in a bullet point format following an sentence or two about the analysis. The list should clearly explain the goals you try to achieve through your product and//or services. You may also check out recommendation letter examples & samples.
“We will analyze/have analyzed (as may be applicable) the complete operation of your company and we have found that through the use of our service, your company will:
4. In this step, it is important to realize that this doesn’t mean highlighting the features of your product or services. This is when and where you clearly explain the benefits the investor will have from your proposal. You should clearly state what the investor will receive upon purchasing your products and/or services. For example, “By using this approach to the whole operation process, we can help your company increase revenue by over 50% while at the same time creating an excellent environment for your future products.” You may also see vehicle expense reimbursement policy letter.
It is also optional to include you qualifications as the proponent. You can mention why and how you or yur company is the best option to handle the issue over the others.
5. Finally, as the conclusion of your letter or video, you have to tell the recipient what you want him/her to do next. This is a blatant but very much necessary to do so since this is the call-to-action part of your letter. This can be encouraging the recipient to read the rest of the proposal or urging him/her to get in touch in order to discuss the proposal in person. In this case, you have to include your relevant contact information so the recipient can easily get in touch. You may also like how to write a job resignation letter.
By the end of all of these steps, your letter will look like this:
In conclusion, a cover letter for a business proposal is a vital part of the whole. It introduces not only you as the proponent but also the main purpose and the goal of the proposal as well. It briefly explains the major points made in the content and the whole proposal and prepares the reader for what he/she is about to read. You may also see how to write an official letter.
We hope we were able to clearly explain the importance and how to write your own cover letter for you business proposal.