A complaint letter is written for different reasons. It can be used to show the dissatisfaction of a consumer with the products that he or she has received or the services that the businesses has given him or her. Moreover, there can be more serious concerns that result to the creation of complaint letters.
Some complaint letters are written due to misunderstandings, abuse, potential harm, issues concerning account privacy and financial disputes. If you plan to write a complaint letter for any particular purpose, browse through the downloadable samples that we have listed in this post for your references.
Before deciding to write a complaint letter, you should first make sure that you are knowledgeable of certain information and items that can help you address the issue or concern in a formal and objective manner. Complaint letters can be easily done but not knowing the impact of how you develop this document can also affect the results that you will get. Here are some of the items that you need to be aware of pre-complaint letter writing:
1. Know the purpose of the letter that you will be writing. What are your complaints? Why do you feel that there is a need to write a complaint letter? The reason for the creation of the complaint letter can serve as your basis when it comes to relaying all the necessary information relating to the issue that you would like to discuss.
2. If you will be sending a complaint to a business, know whether they have a customer service line first. This will allow you to contact them and initially specify your concerns before handing or sending a complaint letter. This can make your concern be addressed faster and more efficiently as they are already aware of why they received the letter that you gave. You may also see application letter examples & samples
3. Unlike Examples of Emotional Farewell Letters to Colleague, your complaint letter must be formal and business-appropriate. You should learn how to control your emotions as you do not want your complaint letter to look like a hate note. Keep in mind that a complaint letter is intended to address and resolve issues, not to worsen it.
4. Have an objective or a goal. If you are already planning to write a complaint letter, list down possible resolutions. Whether it will benefit you, the business, or the next clients of the company; having a resolution in mind can make the transaction relevant to the operations of the business and your rights as a consumer or a client as well. You may also like business reference letter examples
Some people think that writing a complaint letter is not necessary as it will not be read by the management of the business or any person who is tasked to browse through and review documents sent to the business. However, this myth is not true as companies tend to also rely on complaint letters for them to further grow as a corporate entity. Aside from this, here are some of the reasons why we strongly believe that complaint letters are effective, relevant and important:
1. A complaint letter can be included in the files of the business. Especially if the company has a customer service department, it will be easier for them to know and record all the concerns of clients. This can serve as the reference of the business when developing programs for service development and improvement. This is the reason why you may want to set aside your knowledge on how to write a personal letter when developing a complaint letter. Focus on giving factual information rather than showcasing your emotions.
2. A complaint letter can help a business understand where you are coming from. There may be instances where the employees of the company can be involved in face-to-face circumstances that can result to the anger, disappointment and dissatisfaction of customers. Employees can easily be called by the human resource department or their immediate heads to explain their side. However, this is not the same case with you especially if you have already left the premises of the business after an incident. Sending a complaint letter can help your voice as a customer or a client be heard. You may also see appointment letter examples & samples
3. A complaint letter can serve as a proof that the customer or any individual has sent his or her disappointment or any concern to a business during legal proceedings and court trials. This can be easier nowadays as complaint letters can already be sent through electronic mail. With this, the entities who sent the letter can also have a copy of the transaction. This is important as legal rights can be protected and preserved if evidences can be presented depending on the situation where the complaint letter will be used. You may also like business proposal letter examples
4. A complaint letter can alert businesses in a higher level. If you will compose and send a complaint letter, then companies can have an impression that you are really serious with the problem or any negative instance that occurred. This will make them more focused and hands-on when assessing the matter and thinking of possible conflict resolutions. You may also check out how to write an official letter
Formal letter writing is essential to be incorporated in the development of a complaint letter. For your complaint letter to be highly functional, you have to consider the completion of all the items that are expected to be present in the document. A few of the information that must be included in a comprehensive complaint letter include the following:
Depending on the situation that you experienced or the range and scope of the negative impact that has been brought to you by the incident, feel free to add other information that are not included in this list. Take note that a complaint letter should not be generic and should be based on the actual event that happened to you concerning a business or any other entity. You may also see what is a resignation letter?
Your complaint letter does not only present your concern, it also represents you as an individual. This is why you should be careful and keen with what you include in the complaint letter that you will be making. Here are some ways on how you can ensure that your complaint letter is both efficient and effective:
1. If you will send the complaint letter through electronic mail, you should still observe the proper formatting of the document. On the other hand, write legibly and use a business-size paper if you plan to hand a hard bound complaint letter. You may also see new hire welcome letter examples
2. Always make it a point that your complaint letter is brief and precise. A lengthy complaint letter can result to the lose of focus in relation to what you really are concerned about.
3. Discuss in a direct manner. Your statements must be strong but should not be intimidating. You have to develop a complaint letter that can specifically point out the reason of your disappointment. You may also like recommendation letter examples & samples
4. Do not be too demanding. Your request for specific resolutions or call to actions must always be reasonable, attainable and measurable. Do not seek for items or any other unnecessary demands just because you felt bad about a scenario that is yet to be reviewed. You may also check out termination letter examples & samples
5. Never forget to include all the important details about your complaint. It is not enough for you to state how you felt. You also need to be comprehensive when it comes to presenting all the information that can lead to the review and assessment of the particular instance. You may also see reference letter examples
6. If possible, always include copies of evidences. These may come in any forms of materials, items, and documents that can showcase the reason of your concern. With regards your problem for purchases as an example, you can use receipts and warranties as evidences. For maintenance issues, you can present maintenance agreements, repair orders, and specific contracts. Having these documents present can strengthen your claims about the issue. You may also like resignation letter examples
7. Use a task checklist that can help you list down all the steps that you need to follow for you to come up with an objective and reasonable complaint letter. Doing this can help you highlight points of discussion that can further better the document that you are making.
There are certain ways on how not to write business letters. If you can be aware of these items, then you can easily veer away from loopholes and activities that can negate the purpose of developing a complaint letter. If you have no idea on how you can create a complaint letter that works, we have prepared some tips that will help you to do so. Listed below are a few tips that will allow you make complaint letters in the easiest and most effective way possible.
1. Do not threaten any company or entity to whom you will send your complaint letter. It is important for you to always be calm and reasonable so that the management can sympathize or empathize with you even more. Being angry will bring no good to the transaction which is why your complaint letter must have the appropriate tone and language. You may also see writing a heartfelt resignation letters
2. Keep in mind that the individual who will review the complaint letter is not always the same person whose action made you angry or disappointed. Hence, do not write the complaint letter as if you are talking to the person that you have an issue with. Be civil with how you specify all the instances so that the letter receiver can easily understand your point. You may also like examples of writing an acknowledgement of resignation letter
3. Always keep a copy of the complaint letter that you have sent as well as the documents that are relevant for the discussion. This will allow you to protect your rights and strengthen your statements. Do not delete any response from the company and do not forget to have a record of the time duration where the business is not available when it comes to ensuring that they have received your complaint. You may also check out formal letter writing examples in pdf
4. Use templates when formatting a complaint letter. Even if you are already aware on how to create a complaint letter, it will still be best if you can be guided with the proper flow of complaint discussion. Having a template serve as your reference will allow you to give importance to certain information that should be prioritized by the business. Moreover, templates can make it easier for you to develop a business format for the document. You may also see cover letter examples
5. Refer to downloadable examples of complaint letters. With the number of complaint letter examples available in this post, ensure that you will select a reference that is related or relevant to the complaint that you would like to send. You may also like email cover letter examples
The last thing that a company would like to receive is a complaint letter from the customers or clients. However, this cannot always happen as different customers also have different levels of standards and expectations towards the business and its offering. With the number of different kinds of complaint letters, it is a fact that there are also a lot of possible reasons why complaint letters are made. Just like incident report letters, complaint letters are done due to a variety of cases. Here are some of the reasons why people decide to create complaint letters:
1. There are sources of mistakes that can actually allow complaints to arise. As an example, guests of a hotel establishment may be assigned to a room that is not what they have booked or reserved. This can be a good thing if it is an upgrade. However, the problem arises if the room given to them costs lower than what they have paid for. You may also see examples of writing a simple application letter
2. Problems regarding the products or goods that are delivered to the clients or customers can also be one of the reasons why complaint letters are made. This is mostly observed on deliveries from online sellers. Some products actually do not look like how they are presented in the online store. Moreover, there can be products that are already expired, broken, obsolete or defective. In some cases, complaints can also be made if the products given to the customers are underweight, in a wrong color, incomplete or in a different size. You may also like writing a cover letter
3. It is not only the products of the business that matters. The quality of the services given to the clients are also important. Especially in the cases of patrons and long time customers, they already have expectations on how they should be treated. Hence, if the training given to new employees are different and they were not able to exceed the expectations of these clients, then it is possible for complaint letters to be made. You may also check out offer letter examples
4. Misleading information placed in the insurance, terms and conditions and warranties can also lead to complaints. Aside from this, any rights of the customers violated by the business can be reasons for complaint letters to be validly created. You may also see how to create offer letters and employee agreement templates
5. Complaint letters can be given to the business if wrong invoice has been given to clients. This can also include the improper pricing of materials and items when compared to the initial agreement of the customer and the business. Businesses in the construction industry commonly face this kind of problem as misunderstandings may occur within the entirety of the construction project execution and development. You may also like official resignation letter examples
If you have already decided to write a complaint letter, there are some items that you should not forget. Being able to incorporate these items in the development of your complaint letter format and content can help you to be successful in terms of relaying the complaint and possibly getting the resolution or answers that you are expecting. Here are some of the items that you need to remember whenever you are already in the process of creating a complaint letter:
1. Always be realistic with your claims and any discussion. Do not invent things just for the purpose of sounding more valid. This can only give negative results especially when investigation has already been done. Writing a complaint letter should be based on what you truly experienced. Hence, do not write this letter if all you want are additional benefits, freebies or any other kinds of special deals and treatments. You may also see complaint email examples & samples
2. It will be best for both you and the business if you can precisely specify choices or options for answers and resolutions. With this, you can ensure that the business will be aware of possible actions that can result to mutual benefits. Having this list can also make it easier for businesses to assess and identify what they can provide in a time and measurable manner. You may also like how to write a job resignation letter
3. Separate the business and its employees from the problem that you would like to resolve. Being personal can only worsen the situation. Rather than personally attacking the business and its workforce, what you can do is to let them know the areas that they need to improve on. If you believe that you deserve more than what has been given to you, then kindly ask for resolutions. You may also check out how to write a letter for failure to meet minimum sales goals
4. Do not rely on your emotions. Always have measures, metrics and criteria when making a complaint letter. Think of how the business will react to your complaint. More so, think of the root of the problem as well so you can weight whether sending a complaint letter is the best solution at hand. You may also see vehicle expense reimbursement policy letter
5. Make sure that you will review the complaint letter before sending it to the business. It is of utmost importance for you to be sure of the items that you have discussed in this document. Check grammatical errors for the complaint letter to look more professional and business-appropriate. You may also like how to write a confusion regarding sick leave policy letter
With the tips, guidelines and examples that we have presented you with; we believe that you can already create your own complaint letter in a breeze. Develop a complaint letter now while being guided by references available in this post so you can have a document that is formal, objective, and ideal to be used for the transaction that you would like to resolve. You may also check out examples of writing a board resignation letters