No matter how a lot of people would have difficulty when it comes to mathematics, it cannot be denied that mathematics plays a great role in our everyday living. In fact, we do math calculations nearly anywhere such as our homes, our community, and even at our workplace. That is why learning the basic math operations, which include adding or addition, subtracting or subtraction, multiplying or multiplication, and dividing or division, is important so that you will gain the ability to quickly calculate whatever mathematical problems in your way.
1. Subtraction, in mathematics, is that act of taking something away from something from a group. Basically, subtraction is the act of removing. So, obviously, when you are to make use of this basic operation, the group you subtracted from becomes less. That is what subtraction does: it takes away a part of something. You may also like grammar worksheets.
Sample subtraction equations:
2. If you would look closely to the given subtraction equation examples above, you might notice that there are three parts to the equation. This three parts are also present in other basic operation like addition, multiplication, and division, although the name of some of these parts is varied. You may also check out coaching worksheet examples in pdf.
For the subtraction equation each of the parts is called:
Minuend – Subtrahend = Difference
10 – 3 = 7
The part where you start off is called the minuend and in the given subtraction equation above, number 10 is the minuend. It is the part that you are going take away apart from. The part which is your basis on how much you are going to deduct from the minuend is called the subtrahend and in the given subtraction equation above, number 3 is the subtrahend. The part that is found after the equal sign is called the difference and that is the number or the value left from the minuend after it has been deducted by the subtrahend. You may also check out expense worksheet examples in pdf.
3. The other names that can be associated with subtraction are: decrease, deduct, difference, less, minus, and take away. Other words you can make use of when learning subtraction are:
You may also like self-assessment worksheet examples in pdf.
4. Any number you deduct from itself, the difference will always be zero. You may also see activity sheet examples & samples.
5. Any number you subtract a zero from, the minuend is the difference. Hence, there is no difference at all. You may also like resume worksheet examples in pdf.
6. When subtracting numbers with more than one digit, you have to write the larger number above the smaller number. You would then have to align the columns according to its place value. From there, you would be subtracting one column at a time starting from the right going to the left. Take for example in this problem: 365 – 40, right-align the 40 that in the problem, 389 – 24, right-align the 40 that the 0 is under number 5 and that 4 is under number 6. You may also see alphabet worksheet examples in pdf.
7. In borrowing rules you will encounter math problems where you are going to find a part of the minuend that is lesser than the subtrahend, like for example: 360 – 29. When you are going to align them in columns, you can find out that the 9 in the ones place of the subtrahend is larger than the number that is found on the ones place of the minuend. You might initially think that you are going deduct 9 from 0 which is impossible because, obviously, 9 is larger than 0. You may also like coaching worksheet examples in pdf.
Now, to solve this, all you have to do is borrow 10 from the right column towards the left and decrease the number (by 1) beside the first number that was able to borrow first. So in the same problem above, you have to make 0 a 10 and 6 into a 5. You will then have to subtract 9 from 10 and 2 from 35. You can now get the answer which is 331.
Here are the different properties of subtraction. They are:
1. If subtraction is performed ‘a’ and ‘b’ which are both whole numbers and then a = b, or a > b, the result is also a whole number. You might be interested in goal setting worksheets.
10 – 5 = 5
5 – 5 = 0
2. The commutative property, which holds true for both addition and multiplication, is not applicable for the subtraction of whole numbers. The commutative property of addition can be applied when two numbers can still be added even if the order of the addends is switched or interchanged like 2 + 1 = 1 + 2 and the answer of both orders are still 3. Whereas, when subtracting numbers, 2 – 1 = 1 – 2 does not have the same answer because 1 = -1 is the answer and even if it has the same digits, both are different because the other one is positive while the other is negative. You might be interested in reading comprehension worksheet examples in pdf.
3. When you subtract a whole number with 0, you will get the same whole number as a result. You may also see writing worksheet examples in pdf.
10 – 0 = 10
20 – 0 = 20
4. The property of subtraction can actually be expressed in a form of addition by simply making sure that a – b = c and that the numbers used in the equation are whole numbers. The addition form would now become a = c + b.
Subtraction: 200 – 150 = 50
Addition: 200 = 150 +50
5. Like the commutative property of addition that is not applicable to subtraction, the associative property of addition is not also applicable to subtraction because (a – b) – c is not equal to a – (b – c). You may also see sheet examples in doc.
(40 + 30) + 20 = 40 + (30 + 20)
70 + 20 = 40 + 50
90 = 90
(40 – 30) – 20 = 40 – (30 – 20)
10 – 20 = 40 – 10
-10 ≠ 30
Life without subtraction is unimaginable. Even if we are not directly solving math problems that involve numbers, we encounter life’s challenges that require our skill to subtract. To further illustrate the important role of subtraction in our lives, here are some examples that display the role of subtraction in our everyday lives.
Have you noticed that you are adding more weight on your body? Maybe its time to apply subtraction in your life. You can start cutting down your unhealthy habits such as eating junk foods and fast foods. You can lessen your intake on some of the food that can easily increase your weight such as rice, pasta, and anything that is rich in carbohydrates. It is also time to cut down your lazy times and be more productive.
You could spend more time nourishing your faith so your spiritual health will improve as well. There are a lot of things subtraction can be of use and help when it comes to your improving or enhancing your health; make sure you make use of it effectively. You may also check out math worksheets for students.
We possess a lot of things we think we need when the truth is, we really don’t need that extra pair of tongs, or that ‘emergency’ frying pan. It’s also like paying for that excess baggage when you can always avoid having too much luggage when travelling. You may also see grammar worksheets.
It is also in getting rid of your excess baggage that you would allow more into your life. People could also become your excess baggage and if you are already at a point wherein there are some people who become excess baggage, you should not think twice of getting rid of them. You may also like activity sheet examples & samples.
Have you heard of the saying that goes “We borrow something whenever we don’t have enough?” Subtraction can be very much applied to this because borrowing is also done when you are to subtract a larger number from a smaller number when you would subtract multiple digits. Isn’t this confusing for you when you are to solve a mathematical problem that requires you to subtract a larger number from a smaller number? And how much more if you are going to apply this in real life such as when you would borrow money from your workmate and that you do not have money to pay for it yet? You may also check out self-assessment worksheet examples.
There are a lot of fun ways that subtraction can be learned and these subtraction worksheets can be of great help. You can make use of these subtraction worksheets in practicing subtraction and you may already know that practice makes perfect. We hope this article and the subtraction worksheets we have uploaded here have been insightful for you. Enjoy subtracting! You might be interested in biography worksheet examples.