The calendar year is filled with dozens of occasions. It can either be for a personal occasion, a family occasion, a work occasion. No matter what the occasion, you need a greeting card to celebrate.
In this article, we will be helping you create a greeting card that can be used for different occasions (i.e. birthday, Christmas, New Year, Easter, wedding, etc.). We have also provided templates that you can download for free and simple steps that can help you create your own greeting card. Check them out below!
Listed below are the elements of a greeting card. Make sure to include all the elements so that you can create a detailed as well as visually attractive greeting card.
1. Typography: Typography pertains to the text you will be incorporating and how you will be writing the text. Typography also refers to the message you will be portraying in the greeting card, so it is just not about the font size and font style you will be using although it plays a big part.
2. Graphics or images: A greeting card heavily relies on graphics or images for it to be visually attractive. Without graphics or images, a greeting card would look very bland and the message written in the said card will most likely be ignored. Graphics or images add another layer to the greeting card, so give it priority when making a greeting card.You may also see birthday cards.
3. Colors: Graphics or images are not enough to create a greeting card. You also need colors to compliment with the graphics you attached in the greeting card.
4. Event-related designs: You may already be using graphics or images in the greeting card, but adding event-related designs adds another visual layer to the said greeting card. Event-related designs pertain to the designs that match the purpose of the greeting card you are making. For example, if you are making a Christmas greeting card, you should add designs that relate to the holidays such as Christmas trees, reindeer, Santa Claus, snow flakes, and candy canes, just to name a few.
5. Good quality paper: Of course, greeting cards do not rely simply on designs. That is the reason why a good quality of paper should be used for printing. Good paper does not have to mean expensive paper, as there are affordable types of paper that exude good, if not great, quality. Additionally, the greeting and the message is appreciated better if it is written in a high-quality paper.
Follow these simple tips so that you can create the excellent greeting card layout:
1. Use appropriate and relevant images: When creating a greeting card, the images you use will depend on the type of greeting card you are creating. For example, if you will be creating a Christmas greeting card, you should choose images or pictures that relate to Christmas such as Santa Claus or a Christmas tree, for example. You definitely do not want to use an image of a Christmas tree if you will be creating a greeting card that is meant to send condolences to a close friend or relative; a sympathy greeting card would be more ideal.
The number of images you will add in the greeting card will depend solely on you. There is really no limit on the number of images you will incorporate in the greeting card, as long as the images complement each other and the overall design of the greeting card does not look cluttered and disorganized.
2. Fill the card with colors: The images or pictures you include in the greeting card are not the only things that should complement each other. The images should also complement the colors you will be planning to add in the greeting card. Most likely, the images you will be using have their own set of colors (unless you will be using black and white images). Color always add another visual element to any design, including a greeting card.
3. Limit the use of text: In creating a greeting card, the text should not be the main priority. Although the text is an important part in a greeting card, the visual elements such as images or graphics should take center stage. That is the reason why text should be limited in the greeting card. For your greeting card, the text that you will be listing down should be limited to the heading and subheading. For example in a New Year greeting card, “Happy New Year!” for the heading and “Welcome 2019 with a bang!” for the subheading. You can write your own personal message on the back of the card or the second page depending on what layout you will use.
4. Choose between a no-fold or bi-fold layout: Speaking of layout, you can choose between a no-fold or bifold layout. Only use a bifold layout when you will be writing down a lengthy message. The bifold layout allows you to have an additional page for your text. Also, if you will be using a bifold layout, you can add further images or pictures considering the additional pictures will not make the greeting card cluttered.
Listed below are some steps to designing a good greeting card:
Before you actually start creating the greeting card, you should first create a concept. The concept will determine what images or pictures you will add, as well as the placement of the images and the text. You can create the concept in a blank sheet of paper or a you can create it directly in a graphic design software.
Purchasing materials pertains to the things you will use for the greeting card. But in actuality, the only material that you need is high-quality paper. All the design takes place in the graphic design software and you will just have to print out the greeting card using the paper you purchased.
Once you have created the concept and purchased the materials (specifically the paper), it’s now time to create the greeting card. You can create the greeting card in a graphic design software such as the popular Photoshop or Illustrator, or go for other alternatives such as Corel, Affinity Pro, Sketch, GIMP, and Pixlr, to name a few. Remember to incorporate all the elements when you will be creating the greeting card.
Before the greeting card goes into the printer, you should first edit and revise the said card for errors in terms of image and text placement as well as the color and image combination. It’s better that you spot the error first before the card recipient does.
By definition, a greeting card is a piece of high quality paper or card stock that expresses different forms of sentiment. Greeting cards are given out during different kinds of occasions such as birthdays, holidays (i.e. Christmas, Halloween, Easter, New Year, Thanksgiving, etc.). Greeting cards are also given out to convey thanks or express other feelings; thank-you greeting cards are an example.
How do you create a greeting card?
Follow these easy steps when creating a greeting card: (1) create a concept, (2) purchase materials (if necessary), (3) create the greeting card, and (4) edit and revise (if necessary).
As previously mentioned, greeting cards are given out during occasions or during times of sickness or suffering. There is a greeting card for every event, even business greeting cards, that is why these greeting cards are so important. Greeting cards may just simply be pieces of paper, but they relay a message that bring individuals, families, and friends closer.
We hope you found this article to be informative as well as helpful when you will be creating your own greeting card. We also have provided templates that you can download for free. Additionally, don’t forget to follow the simple tips (as well as the steps) we provided so that you can create a highly detailed and visually attractive greeting card.