20+ Monthly Reports Examples and Templates
Creating monthly reports can play an important role in the development of your processes, the improvement of your future operations, and the potential growth of your business. Whether you are a big corporation or a small start-up, we recommend you to develop monthly reports that can help you be knowledgeable of the monthly condition of your business and the steps that you can take to be a better organization.
Below you will find templates that you can download and examples of monthly reports as reference.
Elements of a Monthly Report
Using an annual report is a great way for your business to assess the efficiency of your long-term objectives. Even if an annual report already works great for your business, it is still important for you to have separate monthly reports. The elements of a monthly report that you need to give focus on when making the document include the following:
- Purpose and objectives: Every monthly report has its own purpose of usage. To create a great monthly report, you must first identify the reason of its creation. With this, you can easily list down the items that are needed to be seen in the document.
- Special tasks: Businesses have different action plans per month depending on the needs and demands of the business as well as the trends in the marketplace. Special tasks that are done within a month’s time must be assessed accordingly to see whether it can really improve the business and its operations or processes.
- Results of call-to-actions and monthly plans: One of the most important items that you should not forget to include in a monthly report is the actual result of your undertakings for the past month or for the month/s where observations are made. Being able to document accurate and precise outputs can help you identify trends and the areas of activities that you can still improve on.
- Key persons: An aspect of every monthly report that must be considered from time to time is the designation of work tasks and other responsibilities. Whether a particular task is given to an individual or a department, it is essential for the key persons to be identified properly so that reporting content can be made based on actual facts, figures, and other sources of real results.
- Recommendations, comments, and/or observations: Maximize the usage of your monthly reports by ensuring that these documents can be used as references for your future activities and plans. Providing information about the things that you have observed based on the monthly report’s showcased results can make it easier for you to narrow down future call-to-actions.
20+ Monthly Reports Examples and Templates
Monthly Board Report
Monthly Safety Inspection Report
Monthly Operations Report Template
Monthly Safety Activity Report
Monthly Management Report Template
Monthly Financial Report
Monthly Business Management Report
Company Monthly Report Template
Monthly Expense Report Template
Monthly Sales Activity Report
Monthly Business Expense Report
Monthly Purchasing Report Example
Consultant’s Monthly Progress Report
Monthly Management Report Example
Monthly Progress Report Example
Job Development Monthly Report
Monthly Report Format Example
Administration Monthly Activity Report
Monthly Report of the CVO Example
Monthly Business Report Example
Monthly Status Report Example
How to Create a Monthly Report
There are monthly reports that are generally about expense reports while there are also some that deal with the general or overall performance of the business within a given month’s period. Even if there are a variety of monthly report examples, developing these documents usually take the same process. Here are the steps that you can follow if you want to make a standard monthly report for your business or organization:
1. List down all the basics of the monthly reports that you want to create: Start by identifying the month covered by the report. After that, identify all the areas of the business that you would like to include in the monthly report. You can create either a general or a specific monthly report depending on the demands of the management and/or the needs of the business. This is the reason why it is essential to decide first on how you would like to use the monthly report for your advantage.
2. Select a template or make a monthly report layout from scratch: Formatting your monthly report is very important. Having an organized and well-thought layout can make your discussion more understandable, presentable, and visually appealing. This can affect the reading experience of your target audience. Use discussion segments when necessary especially if the monthly report scopes a wide range of subject matters.
3. Place the content of the monthly report in the template that you have selected: Start with the heading of the monthly report which includes the name of the business, the department that made the monthly report, the title of the document, and the subject line. After this, develop the body of the monthly report depending on the items that you would like to discuss.
4. End the monthly report with observations and recommendations: Gather your thoughts about the results presented in the monthly report. Make sure that you will use these results to know how you can improve and how to veer away from bad decisions that negatively affected the business in the past.
Tips in Making a Monthly Report
Are you hesitant to create a monthly report just because you do not know where to start? We recommend you to first review the basics of monthly report development so you can already have a head start on how you can develop the specific monthly report that you need. Aside from this, more of the tips that can help you write a great monthly report include the following:
- Use examples and templates when making a monthly management report. The same goes when creating other kinds of monthly reports. References can make the job of making any kind of document easier, faster, and more efficient.
- Make sure that all the information presented in the monthly report are real and updated. Use resources that are credible and reliable. Having fact-based monthly report discussions can be very beneficial for data safekeeping and decision making.
- Browse through the previous monthly reports of your business. This can help you decide on what to change, improve, and/or maintain so you can come up with the best possible monthly report that your business can benefit from.
Types of Monthly Reports
Monthly reports can come in different forms. The content of a monthly report varies on the purpose of its creation and the particular business area where the information in the monthly report is from or is for. Here are some types of monthly reports that are commonly used by businesses:
- Monthly status report
- Monthly project and/or activity report
- Monthly sales report
- Monthly financial report
- Monthly attendance report
- Monthly workforce performance report
- Monthly operations report
- Monthly profitability report
Monthly Report Sizes
If you want to create effective monthly reports, keep in mind that the success of the document’s usage is not just reliant on content discussion but also on your presentation. You have to highly consider the format that you will use, the placement of every monthly report details, the flow of your discussion, and the paper size that you will use if you plan to print the document. The most used paper sizes for monthly reports include the following:
- US letter (215.9 × 279.4 millimeters or 8.5 × 11 inches)
- A4 (210 × 297 millimeters or 8.27 × 11.69 inches)
Monthly Report FAQs
As one of the examples of business reports that your organization can benefit from, you need to allocate both time and effort when making a particular monthly report. One of the things that can help you further understand a monthly report’s development, purpose, and usage is by asking relevant and timely questions about the document, which are as follows:
How can you utilize the usage of your monthly reports?
This can be done by listing down the objectives and goals that you would like to achieve with the help of particular monthly reports. Focus on the activities and monthly results that you would like to put together so you can come up with an impressive and efficient monthly report. Use the monthly report that you will create for evaluating the results of past business actions, planning for your future endeavors, and listing possible action plans for the coming month/s.
Why is a monthly report considered as an important business document?
Monthly reports can help your business record and observe different things. You can use this document to track your corporate progress, evaluate the factors that lead to growth or the lack thereof, and even compare activity results from different periods of time. Hence, using a monthly report can allow you to make better business decisions as well as plan and execute call-to-actions that are beneficial for your organization.
May it be a monthly performance analysis report or any other kinds of monthly reports that you would like to develop, make sure to browse through the references that we have listed in this post. Using templates and examples can allow you to format any types of monthly reports properly. Download our references now so you can already be aware of the items that you need to include and put together in your own monthly report.