If you have already tried applying to a company, you may have an idea that it is not only your resume, application letter and cover letter that matter for the initial work application. A well-written reference letter can also add value to your candidacy for a particular professional job position.
111+ Reference Letter Templates in PDF | Word | Google Docs | Apple Pages - START DOWNLOADING
If you are aware of the benefits and advantages that a reference letter can provide, then it is most likely that you will take writing one for a friend or a colleague more seriously. If you want to know how you can develop a reference letter that can improve the chances of an individual in terms of proceeding to the next step of the hiring process, browse through the samples that we have listed in this post and identify which of them can serve as your reference.
Letter of Reference Long Example
Letter of Reference Short Example
Restaurant Letter of Reference Short Example
Reference Check Letter Example
Educational Reference Check Letter Example
Sample Educational Reference Check Letter Example
Personal Reference Check Letter Example
Restaurant Reference Check Letter Example
Reference Thank You Letter Example
Restaurant Reference Thank You Letter Example
Basic Reference Letter Example
Reference Letter Example
Importance of a Reference Letter
Most companies ask for a reference letter from their applicants. This is for the reason that businesses like to review the qualifications and other deliverable of the applicant in a different angle. Some of the reasons why we believe that a reference letter is an important tool that can help you in your application include the following:
- A reference letter can showcase the previous successes and work ethics of the candidate to whom the content of the letter is about. This can be the basis to measure how the work candidate can possibly work for the employer.
- A reference letter can help an applicant to be placed in a better position especially if the content of the letter is properly specified, thorough and relevant to the application.
- A reference letter can be the reference of the human resource department if they would like to assess the credibility of the applicant basing from the content of his or her resume.
- A reference letter can give more details about the qualifications, characteristics, qualities and credentials of the applicant which may not be present in either the applicant’s resume or cover letter.
- A reference letter can briefly describe the applicant and why he or she deserves to be hired by the business. This is also one of the reasons why those who are tasked to write the reference letter must be experienced in the industry that the candidate would like to immerse in so that the content of the reference letter can be more credible and usable.
Sample Faculty Reference Letter Example
Annotated Sample of Reference/Recommendation Letter
How to Make an Effective Reference Letter
The way you format the reference letter as well as how you place all relevant content together can affect the effectiveness of the specified document. If you truly want to have a reference letter that is highly-usable, then it is essential for you to be be keen with how you will develop both the content and layout of the reference letter. Here are ways on how you can create an effective reference letter:
- Develop a reference letter that is made specifically for the work position that an individual targets. A more precise referral can yield better results as it can showcase the reasons why the candidate is truly fit for the work post. The way you see how the candidate can provide his or her deliverable that can benefit the business can make the usage of the reference more successful.
- Make sure that you will not just talk about the candidate. It is important for you to also highlight details on why you deserve to write a reference letter or a recommendation. Being able to present yourself as a professional who is aware of how things go in the industry can actually bring more weight to your referral.
- Properly explain how you are related to the candidate. Your relationship with the candidate is essential to be identified so that the company can somehow measure your capacity to provide an objective recommendation. More so, the kind of relationship that you have with the applicant can also explain why you have written a particular review of his or her character, work performance and other information that you will place in the reference letter.
- Ensure that you will give instances, examples and activities that can precisely reflect how the candidate is like in certain situations. Being able to do this can help you back up your claims and statements about the candidate. Provide positive examples to make the candidate more desirable. You may want to veer away from stating information about a candidate receiving a notice letter for poor work performance.
Reference Letter Sample Guide
Employment Reference Letter Example
Items to Discuss in a Reference Letter
The content of a reference letter varies on the purpose or the reason on why an individual requests you to create one. Unlike writing a job resignation letter, a reference letter actually affects not only you but another entity. This is the reason why you have to be more keen when providing the details that you will put in the reference letter. Some of the common information that are included in a reference letter, especially those that are used for work application, are as follows:
- The technical skills of the candidate and how it fits to the requirements and demands of the job position that he or she is targeting to have
- The strengths and other deliverables of the candidate which can be an added value to the company
- The talent and abilities of the candidate which can contribute to the ease of the candidate when executing his or her responsibilities upon employment
- The previous successes and achievements of the job applicant and the relevance of these to the application
- The characteristics of the candidate which should include consistency, work ethics and dependability
- The potential of the candidate to provide the needs of the company
Reference Letter Sample
Sample Letter of Recommendation/Reference
Steps in Writing a Reference Letter
Writing a reference letter is a responsibility as you can either help the candidate for his or her application, or the other way around. Listed below is the step-by-step process that you can follow if you already want to create an outstanding reference letter.
- Create a draft where you can list down the items that you would like to include in the reference letter. You can also use this to identify the flow of the discussion.
- Use a business format when writing the reference letter. The reference letter that you will come up with must look formal and professional so the human resource department and the management can be more interested to review the content of your letter.
- Refer to samples and templates if you are not confident in making a reference letter from scratch.
- Write the date when you have written the letter.
- Specify your name, your contact details and your current location. It is also important for you to state your current work designation especially if it is related to the industry where the applicant is applying.
- Create a formal salutation and a greeting.
- The first paragraph of your reference letter must contain a strong statement about the recommendation that you would like to give to the applicant. Next, discuss your relationship with the candidate and give a reason on why your statement should matter.
- The next paragraphs that you will create must already be a discussion about the candidate. It will all depend on the items that you would like to talk about. It is suggested for you to have one paragraph per topic so that the document can be more organized and the flow of discussion can be smoother in terms of flow.
- End your reference letter with your final thoughts about the candidate’s application.
- Review the content and format of the reference letter and assess whether there are still changes that should be made. Adjust and edit when necessary. This process should always be practiced in all kinds of letter writing like appointment letters and human resource letters.
Simple Reference Letter Example
Reference Letter Template Sample
Ready to Develop a Reference Letter?
You should not be overwhelmed if you are asked to create a reference letter. The first thing that you need to do is to identify whether you are fit to do the task. It is important for you to properly address the situation as the content of the reference letter that you will create must be able to provide benefits to the person who asked you to make one. If you think that you can create an impressive reference letter, then commit not only to the person but also to the process of developing one.
The samples that you can download here can help you a lot when it comes to creating a reference letter that can surely grab the attention of employers. Review the reference letter samples that we have listed and see how you can get some information and tips that can be helpful if you are already in the process of making the reference letter that you are expected to do. You may also be interested to know how to create offer letters and employee agreements.