200,000+ Ready-Made Templates
to Get Your Work Done Faster & Smarter
When it comes to mass advertising, words won’t be enough to effectively deliver your message. You need a striking visual to draw attention, make a point, and gain a response. Fortunately, this can easily be obtained with the help of a good poster design.
In this article, we have provided a few templates, examples, and design techniques to inspire you create a stunning poster design for any given purpose.
Listed below are the key elements that a good poster design must have:
1. Headline: The headline of your poster carries general information about the subject being celebrated or advertised. It’s usually printed in a much larger font size and style to help emphasize the text presented. The headline must be kept short yet compelling enough to garner attention and pique one’s interest. This should make your purpose known even at a single glance.
2. Message: Along with any other marketing medium, the message conveyed by your poster should help you achieve a defined goal. Consider how you want people to respond to your ad after they have encountered it. It can be anything from buying concert tickets to see your band or calling a number to inquire about a new product offer. This is usually translated through the text and graphic elements incorporated into your design.
3. Graphics: Colors, illustrations, and other forms of graphics are a significant addition to your poster design. Not only can these graphic elements capture a person’s attention, but they can also give your audience something to remember you for. This enhances the overall look and feel of your poster, helping you stand out from a sea of competitors.
4. Branding: Whether or not you represent an established brand in the industry, incorporating your brand identity into whatever advertising material you make is highly encouraged. This allows you to introduce and remind people of your brand to help maintain consistency and build awareness. Using something note-worthy like your logo design is sure to stick on top of one’s mind.
5. Contact Information: Some of your readers might have a few questions or inquiries that need to be addressed. The best way to entertain them is to provide an updated list of your contact details. This includes your phone number, email address, and social media accounts. That way, you can still stay connected with prospects and customers long after your event has passed.
Designing a poster isn’t as difficult as you might think. Since we’ve already established what the general elements of a poster design are, here is a five-step guide on how you can create a poster with ease:
1. Decide on a format: This includes the size and page orientation of your poster. This will help you maximize the space and function of your poster in the best way possible. By choosing the right format, you can easily determine the placement of elements in the succeeding steps.
2. Brainstorm and conceptualize on your design: Before you put pen to paper, gather your thoughts together to form one clever idea. This should be relevant to your purpose, yet impactful enough to generate a positive response from viewers. It’s best to collect ideas from your colleagues or teammates to build a design that everyone will agree on. After which, you can use this concept to construct the outline of your poster which will guide you through the actual design process. You may also see vintage poster examples
3. Apply the necessary elements: As mentioned earlier, a good poster design is comprised of a few major elements. Each element plays an important role in getting your point across to a desired audience. Note that these elements must be added strategically to your poster design with the help of a few editing tools and features available in the software you are using.
4. Experiment with different styles: Try out different techniques in typography, alignments, patterns, and color applications. There are a lot of things you can do to improve the look of your poster and make it stand out. Don’t think twice about studying the competition and learning a thing or two from popular brand posters. Whether you’re creating a campaign poster or an event poster, there’s bound to be at least five other designs in the market that you can draw inspiration from.
5. Proofread and edit your content: Never take proofreading for granted. Always remember to review and revise your poster whenever necessary to prevent any mistakes from ruining your final output. After all, this can be a costly venture to undergo. It’s also a good idea to omit unnecessary details from your layout to keep your poster fresh and clutter-free.
Now that we’ve covered the basics of crafting a good poster design, let’s find out how you can enhance the impact of your poster through the following techniques:
Here are the common types of posters you’re likely to encounter:
One of the most notable features of a poster is its visual design. As humans, we tend to respond better to illustrations and graphics when trying to understand the message being conveyed. This is why many advertisers consider posters a key part of their multichannel marketing campaigns. This allows brands to carry their message across to a targeted audience with only a minimal amount of effort required.
While there isn’t an official standard size for posters, most printing and advertising companies are consistent with the poster sizes they use for a particular purpose. This includes the smallest poster size (11 × 17 inches), the medium (18 × 24 inches), the large (24 × 36 inches), and the movie poster sizes (27 × 40 inches and 40 x 60 inches). When choosing the right poster size, be sure to consider various factors such as costs, personal preference, location, and longevity.
Paper choice and weight is usually determined by the type of printer you are using. However, a 170gsm Silk or Gloss Art FSC or 150gsm are highly recommended by most experts. Not only are they a durable selection for your poster design, but they also leave a professional look and touch to your marketing material for prospects to remember.
So there you have it! Create captivating poster designs today with the help of the poster templates, examples, and design ideas provided in this article.