Driving information is the lifeblood of businesses, that’s why there is always an effort to strengthen their marketing strategies. However, sharing nothing but words can make it hard for your audience to retain all the information that you have shared.
A poster is a great marketing tool to spread information about an event or activity. But more than that, it is also a piece of artwork that can serve as a representation of the company. When created properly, it can effectively communicate the message and promote the business, event, activity, etc.
If you are making a poster for any purpose, you need to know what things to consider and include. Listed below are the essential elements that will make your poster stand out from the crowd:
1. Interesting headline: When you see a poster blaring the heading “Big Sale!” you will immediately be curious to read the rest of it. Therefore, when creating a poster for whatever reason you must aim to spark the interest and curiosity of your readers through your headline. However, it must still be relevant to what it will be used for, avoid clickbaity headlines as it can only disappoint potential clients. You may also see vintage poster examples.
2. Significant information: Aside from the headline telling what the event or its purpose is, there should be enough information that will provide more context. The five Ws and one H questions should be answered clearly in the poster to avoid confusion and miscommunication.
3. Branding: Since a poster is still a marketing tool that you use for the benefit of the business, it is important to incorporate your brand identity. You should use your brand logo, brand color/s, and distinct font style that readers can immediately relate to you.
4. Images or graphics: Images or graphics that tie the overall aesthetic of the poster to its purpose should be used. For example, a travel poster should use images for the travel destination in specific places that you are advertising. Images add to the attention-grabbing factor and add more impact on the overall appearance of the poster.
5. Structure: Adding structure to your poster design ensures that all elements can breathe, meaning that the flow is flawless. You can add structure by using lines to separate words, shapes, ensuring that there is a strategically placed white space, and so on.
Posters can of different types, but can still be an effective marketing tool. Here are the types of posters you can look into:
1. Advertising Poster: Advertising posters are used for advertising or marketing purposes. Since the advertising or marketing plans have already established the strategies to use, the poster should be able to effectively promote the products and/ or services of the business. The posters are usually found in public posting areas where people can easily see and read the given information.
2. Event Poster: Events such as birthdays, weddings, public activities, etc. can make use of an event poster in order to provide accurate information to the attendees. Parties, fundraising events, etc. that need a high turnout of attendees also use event posters to encourage people to register and join.
3. Political Poster: As the name would suggest, this type of poster is used to promote a political agenda. People who run for office use political campaign posters to spread there platforms and to make voters remember there name and number on the ballot.
4. Movie Poster: A movie poster is a staple promotional tool used to entice viewers. It contains information about the movie along with the official poster images, illustration, design, etc. Currently, movie posters are in a digital format to comply with movie theater needs, but movie production companies still make printed movie posters as collectible items.
5. Educational or Academic Poster: In an academic setting, a poster is used to provide essential information about academic research. The guidelines on how to make such posters vary for each educational institution. Since the publication for the research is more detailed, the poster aims to provide a brief overview of the topic to make it easier to understand. You may also see concert poster examples.
Here are answers to some frequently asked questions about posters:
Although there are advantages to hiring professional designers to create your poster, there is certainly nothing wrong to create it on your own. With the advancement of technology, there are available design tools and softwares that are easy to use. Graphic design software such as Photoshop, Illustrator, Adobe Indesign, CorelDraw, and so on are good for beginners.
Of course, it is possible to create your own poster. Since you already have a clear idea on what you want to use it for, what elements you want to include, how it should look like, etc. it will be easier for you create one. However, should you doubt your skill in designing, it is best to ask for help from a professional. All you need to do then is to guide him/her to achieve your vision.
The overall appearance of your poster will be affected by the type of paper that you use. Here is a list of some of the papers you can use:
1. High Gloss: This type of paper has the widest range for bright and vibrant colors. However, since it has too much glare or somewhat reflective, it is not best to use for locations with bright lighting.
2. Semi-gloss: This is the most commonly used paper for posters. It has reduced gloss, but still has a wide range for vibrant colors. This is best used for sticking posters behind glass. You may also see sports poster examples.
3. Matte: A matte paper has no sheen or gloss and has an extremely low reflective quality. Although it has the lowest bright color range, high-quality printing is still possible. Images may appear duller and will not shine in any way.