Providing a safety policy statement in your company would make your employees feel safe on and off their respective jobs. It shows how committed you are in implementing safety procedures within the company. More than that, it speaks about how responsible you are. However, it is not only the manager who will take the role. Writing a safety policy statement also gives the employees a chance to play their own part in making the workplace safe. This policy sets the general approach in which you will be able to manage health and safety in your business.
A safety policy statement presents how you are going to handle and manage health and safety within your workplace. It mirrors every business’s attitude towards implementing an effective way to come up with the safety steps and systems to make sure that you comply with the legislation.
The safety policy statement should cover the following:
1. Statement of intent – this contains the general policy on safety at the workplace including the level of commitment in managing such.
2. Health and Safety Responsibilities – it is necessary to list down the names, position, and roles of every individual who have their respective responsibility over their overall safety.
3. Health and Safety Arrangements – give exact details about the arrangements that you have prepared. This should show the steps on how are you going to achieve the given policy statement. This can be done by assessing risks, trainings and the using safety signs and equipment.
The following statements emphasize steps on implementing safety policies and the considerations that every employees should undertake.
1. Engage the reader – the safety policy statement is not just a typical policy. Rather, it is the introduction to the company’s safety policy. Its purpose is to engage the readers to make them follow what has been mandated for safe work behavior.
2. Brevity – keep your statements short and in lined with the safety guidelines and laws.
3. Keep it general – do not include any specifics in the policy statement. do not address the risks, emergency procedures or safety issues. All you have to do is to list down the reasons why it is necessary to implement the safety policy statement for job-related instructions.
This example is a Health and Safety Policy Statement Act of 1974 that presents a particular company’s statement of general policy.
Our statement of general policy is:
To provide adequate control of the health and safety risks arising from our work activities;
To consult with our employees on matters affecting their health and safety;
To provide and maintain safe plant and equipment;
To ensure safe handling and use of substances;
To provide information instruction and supervision for employees;
To ensure all employees are competent to do their tasks, and to give them adequate training;
To prevent accidents and cases of work-related ill health;
To maintain safe and healthy working conditions; and
To review and revise this policy as necessary at regular intervals.
Employees have the right to know about the safety policy statement. They can even provide contributions for the successful implementation of the policy.
A policy statement covers areas ranging from your expectations with how employees act to a policy. This will help you identify the behavior that needs to addressed.
The person that you entrusted with writing the safety policy would be the one who will give an overview, purpose of the policy and discusses how would it affect the workplace.
Safety is everyone’s responsibility and this type of work should not be delegated by just somebody you think who could do all. All employees are expected to carry out their jobs in a manner that there will be nobody who will be harmed in the process. Every individual must be able to know the hazards associated with their respective duties and follow all the safety protocols within the workplace.