Anyone who has ever written a personal statement would understand how it was a challenge to even write one to begin with. Personal statements are also another type of essay. Often than not, students often ask themselves what is the exact point of having to write a personal statement for a university? You may as well ask yourself this question many times before. There is a reason for having to write a personal statement and this article is going to explain and help you on how to write a good personal statement for University. Check it out now, 9+ University Personal Statement Examples in PDF.
Defining the Term Personal
What we mean by personal is relating to a single person, or a person belonging to nobody but themselves. Personal can also mean an action that is done by someone personally than letting someone else do the action. Also, personal can mean something private, your own. Belonging to nobody but yourself.
Define the Words Personal Statement
A personal statement from the words itself personal and statement is a type of essay that is often used to write when you are applying for a school you want to attend or a scholarship program. This type of essay gives the writer the opportunity to showcase a bit about themselves. To prove to the right people that they are a good candidate for the school or the scholarship program.
Reasons for Making a Personal Statement
Students are often faced with this type of issue or question. Why is it so important to make a personal statement essay? Here are some reasons why personal statement essays are still as important as any other type of essay.
- Information about you: when you are applying for either a scholarship program or a school, they would often ask you to make a personal statement essay. This is so they get to know more about you. Not just the basic knowledge like your name and age. They often ask about your educational history and you as a person in general.
- Selling oneself: This is the opportunity to showcase the talent and skills needed for you to apply for either the school or the program. Some people would often ask applicants to write down their strengths and weaknesses in the form of an essay. This is one of those essays that you need to showcase your strengths and weaknesses.
- Giving facts: When you make your personal statement, write some facts about yourself and why you believe you are good for the course you want to take up for college.
1. University Personal Statement Example
2. University Personal Statement Template
3. University Admissions Personal Statement
4. New University Personal Statement
5. University Personal Statement
6. Students University Personal Statement
7. Printable University Personal Statement
8. Career University Personal Statement
9. State University Personal Statement
10. Medicine University Personal Statement
Tips on Writing a Personal Statement
- Think: The first thing anyone should do when writing a personal statement essay is to think of what to write and how to write it. What do you wish to talk about and how are you going to explain why you are writing what you should be writing about.
- Draft: Once you have thought about your topic or what you want to write about, start making a draft. Start with a draft before writing the actual statement. If you are told to write it on the spot, or you have limited time to write it, start with the first step and then write.
- Write: After you are done with your draft, you are now ready to write the real deal. The draft helps to formulate your thoughts, add or crush out what you do not want to write without destroying the whole idea. Writing it out would save you a lot of time and less erasures.
- Tone: Like any other essay, you should be cautious with your tone. The tone of your writing should be professional.
- Check your grammar and spelling: If you still have a lot of time left in your hands, check your grammar and spelling. Your punctuation should be placed in the right place.
Is a personal statement always needed when applying for a school?
As most schools would often ask for a personal statement, yes, this is important.
How many words does a personal statement need?
Your essay can be as short as 200-500 words. You may also write as long as 500-900 words. It all depends on you.
Do I need to revise my work before I pass it?
If you still have time to do so, it is best to revise your work, in case there may be other necessary things you wish to write about.
Personal statement essays are the type of essays used to impress when you want to apply for a scholarship program or a course in a school. It can also be used to showcase your talent and skills and explain to the right people why you are fit for the course or the school you want to apply to. Now, with the tips to help you, you now have the idea as to what to expect and what to write about in your personal statement.