We often hear greeting cards used as a gift whenever there are celebrations or occasions. Greeting cards play a role in expressing the thoughts of the sender through writing. You may also see funny greeting cards.
Although commonly thought as being outdated since the advent of technology, greeting cards continue to spread the market and become one of the most sought-after gifts especially when panic buying. You may also see romantic greeting cards.
It is true that sometimes we cannot decide on what to give to our recipient. After a couple of hours, or maybe days of thinking about what to give, we end up choosing greeting cards as they are versatile, convenient, and are easily sold in malls and small stores. You may also see wedding greeting cards.
However, not all greeting cards can easily be seen anywhere. There are greeting cards that requires so much effort and time to finish. These are called personalized greeting cards. You may also see retirement greeting cards.
Personalized greeting cards, also known as customized greeting cards or DIY (do it yourself) greeting cards, are cards that require the sender to personally design and decorate the card. The sender gets to choose the materials used, design, color, shape, content, as well as the layout and additional enhancement of the card. You may also see Christmas greeting cards.
There is a sense of personal touch whenever DIY greeting cards are sent. Because it is not necessary that the sender should be the one doing the card, DIY greeting cards have become top sellers in the market. You may also see congratulation greeting cards.
If you are looking for DIY greeting cards, we have listed several examples below. To understand more about greeting cards; their importance, roles, and the materials used to make them are also discussed in the subsequent sections. You may also see printable greeting cards.
We perfectly understand what you need. We sympathize with people who want to express a personal touch to their greeting cards. It is but an obligation to us to offer you the best DIY greeting cards that you’ve ever seen. Below are examples and designs to choose from. Check them out. You may also see thank you greeting cards.
Generally, greeting cards are constantly used by many people for the following reasons: occasions and special holidays, expressing sentiments, etc.
There are a lot of occasions in which greeting cards are needed. Some examples are birthdays, graduation, retirement, wedding, engagement, a new job, and a promotion, among others. Greeting cards speak on behalf of the sender and sometimes express an emotion that cannot be conveyed verbally. This is one of the advantages of a greeting card. People who are very much timid in expressing their feelings personally or through actions can organize their thoughts in writing. You may also see love greeting card designs.
During holidays, greeting cards are also being constantly used by many people especially those whose family, friends, and loved ones are away. Greeting cards serve as a reminder for the recipient that the sender still cares for them no matter how far they are apart. It is also a form of an expression of love.
Not only that, greeting cards are also used during special holidays. Examples of different holidays celebrated around the world include New Year, Valentine’s Day, Thanksgiving, Easter, Christmas, Independence Day, to name a few.
Lastly, even though there is no occasion being celebrated and no holiday being commemorated, you can still give greeting cards just to express a sentiment. You can send greeting cards when you want to thank a certain person when you want to express love when you want to apologize when you want to wish good luck, or maybe even just to say hello.
Because of the many roles that greeting cards play, there is no denying that there are still many greeting cards being sold in the market despite the social media having a hand in online greetings. Also, online greetings can never replace the feeling of receiving a tangible card, specifically the tingle and sensation you feel through your fingertips.
In making a greeting card, there are basic materials that you need to know. Although different people have different needs and plans for their greeting card, listed below are the most commonly used materials in making a blank greeting card. Aside from the ones listed below, you can add a material of your preference and you can customize your greeting card as much as you want. Therefore, there are no limits to DIY greeting cards as these are cards that can be called your own.
Some examples of commonly used materials in card making and designing are listed below:
1. Cutting Mat – This is also called a self-healing mat. This mat is perfect to be used whenever you are cutting something using a cutter. This is used to prevent slashes and slits on your table. You may also see birthday card examples.
2. Card Stock – This can sometimes be called specialty papers. These papers are thick enough, usually thicker than printing papers. However, the paper comes in different thickness as measured by grams per square meter (gsm). The higher the gsm, the thicker the paper. Thick papers are perfect for a wet medium like watercolors, although not very suitable for designs which require numerous folding. The ideal thickness to be used for watercolors is 300 gsm and above, but 200 gsm can also be enough. When you want an average thickness, you may opt for 190-gsm papers or those ranged between 150 and 200 gsm. Below 150 gsm, these papers can be used in greeting cards that are not intended to be sturdy. You can actually test each paper before using it so you would know where would it fit best. You may also see anniversary greeting cards.
3. Designed or Patterned Papers – These are papers which have pre-printed designs. You can use them as a decoration to enhance the design of your greeting card.
4. Ruler – Of course, when you need to trace a straight line or when you want a definite measurement in your greeting card, a ruler should be necessary.
5. Scissors – These are basically used to cut a card stock or other designs in your greeting card.
6. Cutter – Cutters are preferred in cutting straight lines or those designs which cannot be cut using scissors.
7. Adhesives – It is common knowledge that adhesives should be among the top priorities in picking materials for greeting cards as they are used to glue together the different materials of your card. You may also see photo thank you cards.
8. Circle Punch – These are ideal for creating greeting card holes or in making circle designs.
9. Stapler – This is an alternative to using glue or paste as it also attaches the different materials of your greeting card.
10. Adhesive designs – These are pre-cut and pre-printed designs that are ready to be glued to your greeting card.
Greeting cards have withstood the test of time as they are still being sold in the marketplace. They are primarily used for different occasions and events and also for expressing sentiments. However, it is more commendable if greeting cards are made with a personal touch such as those that are handmade. You may also see watercolor greeting cards.
No matter the outcome of your card if it’s visually pleasing or not, it is the thought that still counts. It doesn’t matter if you spend $100 or just $10 to make the card, the recipient will surely appreciate the effort and time you placed into it. You may also see musical greeting cards.