200,000+ Ready-Made Templates
to Get Your Work Done Faster & Smarter
Do you know all those YouTube do-it-yourself (DIY) tutorials that they post online? When you consider posting that other than a process essay, it usually attracts more viewers and generates more subscribers on your YouTube channel as people these days are considered more visual in terms of learning new skills or facts. But process essays are just more than how-to videos or DIY videos, an accurate description of a process essay is that it simply describes a procedure. You may also see a short essay.
This kind of essay provides a step-by-step explanation of a process that leads to an expected or planned outcome. What people do not know that the aforementioned process may either be concrete or abstract. Simply put, there are two types of process essays: directional process essays (give instructions in steps on how to accomplish a specific task), and informational process essays (explains or analyzes a process). You may also see self-introduction essay
Before you begin, you need to first take your audience’s skill level into consideration. In a lot of DIY videos and how-to videos that you see in numerous TV shows, you can see that the hosts will often make use of very simple language so that the people who decide to subscribe on their YouTube channels and watch those DIY videos will be able to understand them very easily. Another thing that you should assume is that everyone who decides to check out your videos or read your process essay has little to no knowledge of the said topic, depending on the content you decide to release or publish. Before you even begin to write your essay, you have to understand the parts that comprise an essay.
For example, a process essay intended for professional chefs could probably skip a description of how to chop carrots and just say, “Finely chop the carrots,” instead.
If you already have an idea on what kind of process you are going to release or publish, the next thing to do would most probably be to draft a list of the materials or ingredients that your audience or viewers might need so that they can follow along. It may be easier to do so in your own DIY or “How To” videos, as it is more visual and that the viewers could clearly see as to what these products look like should they get confused, but for process essays, it is a bit tricky. One tip that you could follow would be to include a comprehensive “Things You’ll Need” section at the beginning of the paper or simply list the materials needed after the introduction so that the readers of your essay will prepare the materials needed beforehand to save precious time. There are moments in your life that you will be asked to draft up self-introduction essays as part of a class assignment.
There are times that an item on the list would seem very unusual for a person to procure. Should that be the case, such as a particular type of hand tool, be sure to clearly introduce it within the text. For instance, “The pin hammer has a finer tip than a standard hammer, making it suitable for more detailed work.” If at all possible, make sure to include a picture of the said object you are planning to use if you intend to publish the said essay online. You may also see a formal essay.
In order to make things simpler for you on your end, it would be best if you created an outline that can help you create the flow of the process essay that you are working on. Keep in mind that the outline simply acts as the guide for the essay and is not the essay itself. Outlines are normally made with bullet points and at least 1 to 2 sentences per point. Creating an outline will be most helpful to especially informational process essays. Keep in mind that the more specific your article or essay topic, the more specific your details need to be. Here are some examples of how different people would write their essays.
1. Grab your reader’s attention within the first 1–2 sentences. Today’s readership has a very short attention span. You see books being made into movie adaptations. Some books are being even made into TV shows for a longer and more detailed story line. Although there are some people who also prefer reading compared to watching, there are people who can tell a good book just by the first few paragraphs of the first page alone. You get that right, then you would have gained new readership. DIY and “How To” videos may be easy to create and draft a new introduction, but essays, not so much. It is usually the make or break stage for the essay. They say that when you start strong, it is just as important and vital to end strong as well. Leave the audience wanting to do more of your DIY projects or videos in the near future. Should you be interested in writing a reflective essay, you may want to click on the hyperlink on this sentence.
For instance, you might write, “The process of preparing lasagna has a rich heritage all of its own.”
2. Provide a general time estimate. Providing time estimates are very essential especially in writing these process essays as everyone might have some other plans other than doing the DIY video or following the process essay they happen to be reading. In cooking or baking, time is considered very critical. An example would be when the participants of MasterChef are asked to cook one of Gordon Ramsay’s signature dishes to avoid elimination. Even when cooking something as simple as scrambled eggs, one of the steps that Gordon suggested would be to stir over medium heat until the eggs start to cook.
The next step would be to remove the egg mix from heat and then continue stirring eggs for about 30 seconds. Return to heat, continue to stir eggs until they start to clump. He suggested that it is important to keep it “on and off” from the heat, otherwise, the eggs might be overcooked which as a result becomes watery. You would not want that to happen to your eggs, would you? Should you find yourself in need of writing an analytical essay, you may want to refer to the hyperlink found on the sentence.
3. If your process essay focuses on a cooking task, this is where you inform your audience to have some sort of clock or timer nearby for them to keep track of the number of minutes that have passed by and to place all the ingredients on the table beforehand.
4. Present the thesis statement as a problem. A thesis statement focuses your ideas into one or two sentences. It should present the topic of your paper and also make a comment about your position in relation to the topic. The thesis statement is considered to be the most important sentence of your paper as it informs the reader not only which problem you will be examining, but it should give them an idea as to how you will be able to solve the issue at hand. Your thesis statement should tell your reader what the paper is about and also help guide your writing and keep your argument focused. The thesis statement should be the last sentence of your introductory paragraph. Here are some examples of short essays that might serve as a reference in case you need assistance in formulating one.
5. You can start off your thesis statement like this, “This essay will explore how to create a complicated lasagna dish in a short period of time by preparing the noodles and sauce in advance.”
People have the tendency to be sidetracked, especially when making their own stories or novels or any written work for their personal use or for their schoolwork. From time to time, it is best to try and consult with the outline that you have made as not to get lost and personally confused to where you currently are in your essay making process. As aforementioned, outlines are considered an excellent way to draft the flow of your speech or essay should you ever get lost somewhere in the middle of your essay writing. Always refer back to your bullet points if ever your point was not made somewhere in the body of the paragraph. The outline is not always right, it is merely temporary. The possibility of not following your outline might not actually exist if you have happened to draft a better one. For more ways to help start up your essay, you may refer to this hyperlink.
Try to be very careful with items that consist of multiple steps. Make the transitions clear enough and acknowledge prior steps regarding a particular item, if at all applicable.
The outline simply serves as the guide for your essay and is not really the speech itself. Since you have already given some thought into making the outline, now is high time to formulate the body of your essay. As much as possible, when you decide to do the initial draft of your essay, keep it in paragraph form. Bullet points may be simpler, but it is first and foremost an essay. For instance, if your process essay is about making the best shepherd’s pie, try drafting a paragraph on how to make the filling below and another paragraph on how to create good mashed potatoes on top of the lamb filling below. This, in turn, separates the two ideas for easy clarification.
Scholarship essays are normally written by applicants who wish to get their education at a lesser price, considering they uphold to the following conditions.
And since it is a process essay, it is very important that you place transitions on the steps to allow your readers to help identify as to what is Step 1 and what is Step 2. These transitions make it easier for the readers to help proceed to the next step without worrying they might have missed something on the previous step. Examples of some transitions would be the words next, first, later, then, finally, before, afterward, etc. For some examples of formal essays, you may refer to the hyperlink.
For instance, you could write, “Next, place the pot on the stove,” to move from one paragraph to the next.
Including I, we, us, me, mine, our, and ours within your writing can make it seem less declarative and authoritative. In a process essay, this can make a reader less likely to trust your instructions. Instead, stick with a second and third-person perspective by using words, such as it or they. Here are some examples of argumentative essays for your reference.
For example, you could write, “This essay shows…” instead of “I’ll show.”
Some people would normally forget to add that at the end of the process essay. This is perhaps one of the worst things that the author will not bother doing since he or she did not think that the reader will go to that extent of not following what was written. As someone who has written the process essay in the first place or a notable DIY star on YouTube, please mention some of the mistakes or actions that people tend to do when performing the said task. By doing so, you might actually save a life when you warn people beforehand. These cautionary notes serve as a warning to people as it might have already happened to some unfortunate people already. So when you are warned not to microwave your electronic devices for the sake of fun, just do not. For reference in writing personal essays, you can go through our website to find out more.
For example, you might caution a reader to “Cook the meat until it is no longer red in the center.” This advice will help them to avoid foodborne illness.
1. Mention the end product and what to do with it. At the last few minutes of the DIY video or the process essay, you can see that you are almost through making the said product. Now, there are some people who might already have an idea of what to do with them. For example, let us say that you are done making the recipe for the coffee jelly dessert. You can provide suggestions as what to do with the coffee jelly that you have made (e.g., After cutting the coffee jelly into cubes, pour it into a tall glass and pour some cold-brewed coffee to give it that extra flavor. And finally, top it off with some ice cream and place a spoon or straw. Best served chilled with family and friends). Here are some tips and examples that you might need when writing a thesis statement for your narrative.
2. Restate the importance of the task. Cooking has proven itself to be quite a challenge, especially when one has no background or experience in cooking. It can otherwise be daunting, and there will be times that you will feel like passing out or giving up. But if you hold on to the very reason as to why you are doing it in the first place, it will keep you focused on completing the task at hand quicker than expected. To be quite fair and frank, this is often utilized by marketing stunts everywhere even in making DIY arts and crafts projects for Father’s Day and Mother’s Day. Here are some examples of persuasive essays that can serve as a reference when writing essays.
3. A basic example of a newly-made dinner intended for your parents’ anniversary might be, “And there you have it! A delicious yet quick meal fit for the two of them to enjoy which looks complicated and sophisticated but is actually simple enough with enough practice. Next time, experiment with different herbs and spices to find your own spin on this classic dish.”
4. Check your essay for ease of reading. Now that you are through writing your essay, the next best logical thing to do would be to actually take some time to review them. If you think you are satisfied with the flow of the essay that you have written, then you may publish it with ease. But if you do not think you are comfortable or assume that there is something lacking in the process essay, take the time to double-check the content and add the necessary content to the essay. While you are in the middle of double-checking, try adding a few final touches to your essay for it to sound better. Lend your essay to a friend or family member to check if they had understood the whole process. Here are some examples of academic essays.
5. One tip would be to see if there are certain steps that you can eliminate or condense your instructions as not to take up too much space in the essay. A reader is more likely to finish directions that they can easily skim through.
6. Proofread your essay. Finally, proofread your essay. Don’t rely on spell-check alone, as it cannot account for context and doesn’t catch every error. But other than spell-checking your essay, make sure to also check for typographical errors in terms of grammar and preposition, subject-verb agreement, etc. Keep in mind that people from all over will be reading your essay, so make sure that it is written professionally in whatever language you will be using. Here are some examples of high school essays that you can refer to.
2019 is considered the “Year of the Earth Pig.” This could indicate laziness; however, it could also depict enthusiasm for some people. Considering that the usage of social media and the internet in this year is prevalent, people tend to view loads of various information that shape their own perspective. Moreover, this era strongly pushes the empowerment for every individual to showcase themselves, abling them to do what they want to do. Conclusively, the freedom of this age provides people a wide variety of interests.
A process essay explains the how-tos of a certain topic. Now that you already tackled the basics of this composition as well as the steps in making one, we are giving you in this section some exciting ideas that you can use in writing your own process essay for this year, 2019. According to your preference, you may consider selecting from these topics:
2019 is a year that belongs to an era of rapidly innovating technology where gadgets and internet are major tools for almost everybody. Hence, it is not a surprise that people commonly ask some steps regarding technology. In writing your 2019 process essay, here are some examples of technology-based ideas:
The presence of the internet also paved the way for beauty online influencers to showcase their own intelligent ideas. Consisted of mostly females, different channels and blogs fascinate their audience with their various mind-blowing hacks in grooming oneself. They also give some out-of-the-box solutions to the common aesthetic dilemmas. Basically, topics under this section range from fashion to beauty tips bonanza which include:
An important reminder, try to talk about processes that do not involve your audience’s health, especially if you are not a professional or your step is not yet widely studied.
Food is a basic necessity for each individual and just like the previous one, the internet also provided the cooking pros a medium to share their impressive easy-to-do recipes and strategies in preparing edibles. This extends from simple snacks and desserts to meals of rare occasions, turning simple white plates to something you can boast your friends of. These ideas may include: