Have you ever participated in an event or joined a contest and received a piece of pretty paper with your name on it? If you have, then you already know what a diploma certificate is. These are often awarded to people who deserve recognition for some sort of accomplishment.
In this article, we will get to know more about this document which many secretly want to display on their mantels.
A diploma certificate is considered to be an official document, which means that there are certain key elements that cannot be absent when making one:
Necessary Text Elements:
1. Title: Usually found at the top portion of the page, this is the main headline of the certificate that reflects the type of document it is. It may be as simple as the word Award or the phrase Certificate of Achievement. You also have the option of incorporating longer titles containing the name of the awardee or a catchy title that’s worth noting.
2. Presentation Line: This line of text comes immediately after the title and may say the words is awarded to, is hereby presented to, or something similar, followed by the name of the recipient. But if you’re looking for something simple yet professional, a common statement to use would be: This certificate is presented on [DATE] by [FROM] to [RECIPIENT].
3. Recipient: This is basically the name of the person or group receiving the diploma. There are some instances where the recipient’s name is printed in a larger size or made to stand out as much as or even more so than the title.
4. From: This is where the name of the person or entity presenting the certificate is specified. This may be stated in the body of the certificate or implied by the signature line at the bottom of the page. In most cases, having a company logo on the certificate would also be of help.
5. Description: Here, the reason for the recognition is explained. This could be a simple sentence or a lengthy paragraph that outlines various characteristics or achievements obtained by the awardee. The best award certificates are often personalized according to what the recipient is capable of achieving.
6. Date: The date when the certificate was awarded to its intended recipient is usually written out before, within, or after the description. It’s important to spell this out in complete detail such as 21st Day of September or Sixth Day of March 2018.
7. Signature: Most certificates have a space at the bottom of the page designated for the signature of the person or company handing out the award. In a diploma, this is usually signed by the institution’s president, principal, and/or chairperson. You may also include the name and/or title of the signatory right below the signature. In certain cases, two signatories may be necessary such as when the company president and the recipient’s immediate supervisor are required to validate the certificate.
Important Graphic Elements:
1. Border: While not every certificate needs a frame or border around it, it’s still a common component to add to your diploma. Fancy borders are a standard choice for traditional-looking certificates. Some certificates may even have a full-covered background pattern as opposed to a border.
2. Logo: It’s always a good idea to add a logo design or some other image related to the entity presenting the award or the subject of the diploma. Say for instance, a school might include an illustration of their campus mascot, a club might use an image of a, say, volleyball for a volleyball club award, or a picture of a bonfire for an outdoor camping program participation certificate.
3. Seal: Most diploma certificates have a special seal affixed or an image of the seal printed directly on the certificate for formality reasons.
4. Lines: Some certificates may include blank spaces or empty lines where the name, description, date, and signature are either typed or handwritten.
Follow these easy steps to create a good diploma certificate using a ready-made template:
1. Within the template section of the program (MS Word, Adobe Photoshop, or Illustrator) you are using, look for the “Certificate” template to find exactly what you need. This will open a new section and design board with templates shown on the side of the screen.
2. Now that you have chosen your template, you can modify the text as needed. Choose from a drop-down list of stylized fonts, sizes, color, spacing, and alignment options. Use the editing tools available in the top toolbar, as well as the design options found in the left toolbar. Play around, test out the options, and have fun. Remember to name and save your file whenever necessary.
3. The great thing about pre-made templates is that they are a hundred percent editable. This allows you to remove design elements, as well as upload images and graphics to your certification template. Change or modify the colors, and search through the expansive library of designer elements within the program to find the most suitable design for your diploma. Be sure to upload your own logo and corporate identity package for a more personalized look and feel.
4. When finished, save your certificate in JPEG, PNG, or PDF format directly to your device or hard drive.
Here are a few tips to help you create diploma certificates that people will display proudly.
Standard sizes of diplomas are as follows:
A diploma refers to a certificate or deed issued by an educational institution, such as a high school or a university, to testify that a recipient has successfully completed a particular course of study.
A certificate doesn’t open many doors. A General Educational Development, or GED, for example, is regarded as an equivalent to a high school diploma. The same cannot be said for a certificate of completion.
Being awarded a diploma certificate, for whatever tiny thing it is that you’ve done, is a great honor. If you are given the task of designing one, make sure that it looks good enough for the recipient to feel the need to frame it.