Students enrolled in schools have a required number of days of attendance they have to fulfill. Most schools strictly implement their own absence policy that states how many absences a student can have, which are exempted, and what to do to explain certain absences. In the US and Canada, an attendance certificate is given to students who have completed the K-12, but have not met the requirements for a high school diploma.
In another point of view, a certificate of attendance is also given to people who are sanctioned by their respective companies or organizations to attend seminars, conferences, etc. The certificate will prove that the person has attended the gathering and may be exempted or still be compensated for his/her absences.
Elements of an Attendance Certificate
A good certificate must have the essential elements to help the awardee and other readers understand the merit that has been given. When making an attendance certificate, ensure that all the needed information are included and that the overall design and layout are appealing. To help you make an excellent certificate, here is a list of the essential elements an attendance certificate should have:
Title: The title of the attendance certificate should be boldly indicated on the top of the certificate. This will give the reader a clear idea of what the certificate is all about. It is important to make sure a good bold font is used to make the heading readable to the recipient.
Presentation line: The presentation of an attendance certificate, or any certificate for that matter, is the brief statement following the title which explicitly says the certificate is awarded to the person whose name is reflected. There may be different variations as to how this is phrased but it is most commonly phrased as: is hereby presented to or his certificate is presented on [DATE] by [FROM] to [RECIPIENT].
Recipient: After the certificate presentation line, the name of the recipient immediately follows. The name of the person receiving the award is simply indicated in the attendance certificate. In most certificates, the name of the recipient is enlarged or printed in bold text to make it stand out even more so than the title.
Awarding body: As much as the name of the recipient is important, stating the name of the awarding body or the entity who is giving the attendance certificate is also necessary. Through this, the award is legitimized and can easily be verified. This may be indicated on the body of the certificate or implied on the signature line at the bottom.
Description: This should explain why the certificate was awarded. For an attendance certificate, it is necessary to indicate that the requirement has been met, what program or event was recently conducted, when it was held, and so on.
6. Date: The date included on the attendance certificate is the exact date when the certificate was awarded or presented to the recipient. This can be written before, after, or within the certificate description. The dates are usually spelled out in a manner such as 31st Day of October or Sixth Day of May 2018.
7. Signature: As mentioned earlier, the legitimacy of an attendance certificate can be indicated on the awarding body section or through the signature line. Thus, it is important to allot a space in the certificate where the school head or company/organization representative can affix his/her signature. The name and title of the signee must also be provided.
Border: Although it is not a necessity, having a border for your attendance certificate will ensure that all the contents are aligned and centered.
Logo: An attendance certificate can also be enhanced by including a school logo or a business logo. This serves as an additional identification as to where the certificate is from.
Seal: Most schools and organizations have an official seal. Adding the seal on the attendance certificate authenticates the document even further. Some certificates may even contain a disclaimer to warn readers that a certificate is fake if an official seal has not been provided.
Lines: If you are making an attendance certificate in bulk and have no time to print out copies for tens or hundreds of people, it’s best to include lines or blank spaces which you can fill out by hand. The certificate can be like a fill-in-the-blank form where the name, description, date, and signature are added.
An attendance certificate is an important document that can be used as proof for a person’s attendance in school, conferences, seminars, etc. As someone in charge of making the certificates, it is highly important that you incorporate all the essential elements; otherwise, you’ll be left with an incoherent and messy certificate. To make a good attendance certificate, here is an easy guide to follow:
1. On the tabs above, choose a design for the certificate you wish to use. On the design section of the tab, you can choose the design that will best incorporate your company or organization colors. You can also choose a design that you like and edit it to your liking.
2. After making sure the colors and layout of your certificate is done, choose the right fonts to use for your title or heading. You can use a text box and type out the title. Drag the text box to where you want your title to be indicated.
3. After putting a text box for the title, add another text box for the presentation line. The presentation line should be written immediately after the certificate title or heading. It could be written as follows: This certificate is hereby awarded to or This certificate is presented on (Date) by (Name of awarding body) to.
4. Below the presentation line, the name of the recipient should be written in enlarged letters. It is important to make sure that the name of the recipient stands out from all the other contents of the certificate. You can also underline the spelled out name for emphasis.
5. Proceed to writing the certificate description or citation. This explains why the certificate is awarded, when it was handed out to the recipient, and where. In the same paragraph, you can include the name of the company or organization giving the certificate as well.
6. Lastly, indicate the signee of the certificate on the bottom part of the certificate. This is usually reserved for company or organization representatives. Make sure to spell out the name of the signee and include their title/position. In addition to that, leave a space where they can affix their signature.
Tips in Making an Attendance Certificate
The attendance certificate should let the recipient boast proudly his/her achievement. Thus, make sure all the necessary elements, most especially the text elements, are complete and clearly phrased. Here are additional points you can refer to when making an attendance certificate:
Draft the textual content first; make sure errors are omitted.
Choose a design that best embodies the event or company/organization brand.
Observe proper alignment with the overall layout of the certificate.
Use fonts that are readable even when it is not enlarged; a formal font style would do.
Design the certificate to make it appealing and frame-worthy.
Types of Attendance Certificates
Because of the information that it contains, an attendance certificate can be used as a valid proof of completion or exemption. Moreover, it can be used for both the academe and corporate world. Hence, there are generally two types of attendance certificates: the educational and corporate attendance certificates.
Educational attendance certificate: In the US and Canada, an attendance certificate is given to students who are able to finish the K-12 program, but were not able to meet the requirements for a high school diploma. The students are still permitted to attend the graduation rites, but instead of an actual diploma, a certificate of attendance is given. They are then encouraged to return to school for a year or so to complete the program and receive a diploma.
Corporate attendance certificate: This type of attendance is used as proof that an employee was present during an event or gathering he/she was sanctioned to attend. The attendance certificate will be his/her evidence that he/she was present during the specific period of time in order to exempt him/her from the absences.
Attendance Certificate Sizes
Most attendance certificates, similar to other certificates, come in the same shape and size. The standard size used for an attendance certificate is 8.5″ x 11″ which is the letter paper size. However, in this day and age, certificates come in various shapes and sizes, and are made of different materials. If this is the case for you, choose a size that is easy for the recipient to hold and store.
Attendance Certificate FAQs
Here are answers to some of the most frequently-asked questions about attendance certificates:
What paper is best to use for an attendance certificates?
Simple paper stock can be used for certificates. However, it is best to use a sturdy or thick type of paper so that the certificate won’t crumple too easily. There are also border art paper available in various stores which is a good option for you to use. But a common choice would be the parchment paper for a transparent effect.
Can an attendance certificate be made in Word?
Yes, an attendance certificate can be made in Word. With the current versions of Word, there are certificate templates available which you can easily use and edit to your liking. You can also find a wide selection of attendance certificate templates in their web page.