19+ Blog Header Examples, Templates & Design Ideas
In simple terms, a blog header is a header found at the topmost portion of the blog. When you are a user or frequent visitor of a blog, the first thing you see in the blog is the header. Although the blog content is already visible, the header is still the more visible aspect in the blog.
If you are an experienced blogger or still starting out, we have some blog header examples and templates you can download for free. We also provided simple tips to guide you so that you can create an effective and visually appealing blog header.
Elements of a Blog Header
Listed below are the elements of a blog header. Make sure to include all the elements when you will be creating your own blog header.
1: Graphics and images: One of the best ways to increase traffic in your blog is to add graphics and images not only in the content but also in the blog header. Remember that the first thing users will notice in your blog is the header, so do not compromise the visual aspect of the blog and include appropriate images and graphics in the header. For example, if your blog centers on Asian travel and living, do not add images of tourist spots in Europe or the United States.
2: Colors: Aside from the graphics and images, adding colors should also be a main priority when creating the blog header. Similar to the graphics and images, colors add another visual element to any design (including blog headers). Numerous colors in the background and in the borders of the blog header paired with the graphics and images will make your blog header ten times more attractive. Take note that finding the right color combinations is still crucial in the effectiveness of the blog header.
3: Typography: Typography pertains to how you relay the message of your design to the design’s intended recipient or target market. Typography also pertains to what font type or font size you will use. In a blog header, typography is key. You cannot create a blog header with just images and colors only. The title of the blog (also called the headline) and other supporting text comprises the entire blog header, so make sure to include these items when creating the said header.
4: Social media handles: In this digital age, everything revolves around technology, not to mention social media. All types of businesses, from small enterprises and large corporations have utilized and incorporated social media in their daily marketing activities. It is much easier (and much cheaper) to reach a wider audience if social media is used, that is the reason why companies use them often (i.e. Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, Snapchat, etc.). The blog header should also include social media handles from the popular social media platforms, preferably placed at the bottom of the blog header.
5: Short company profile: A blog header has very limited space. You cannot insert numerous content in the blog header and expect it to look clean or organized. That is the reason why you should only insert a short company profile in your blog header. In actuality, inserting a short company profile is not required as you can have a separate page in your blog to discuss the profile of your company or organization. In your blog header, insert a one or two-line profile to make way for the other elements in the blog header.
10+ Blog Header Templates
Christmas Blog Header
Nature’s Blog Header Template
Pets Blog Header Template
Restaurant Blog Header Design
Spa Blog Header Sample
Free Tattoo Artist Blog Header Template
Wedding Blog Header Design
Travel Blog Header Sample
Free Yoga Blog Header Design
Free Non-Profit Blog Header Template
10+ Blog Header Examples
Small Dots Blog Header
Typewriter Blog Header
Welcome Blog Header
Vector Circles Blog Header
Cute Polka Dots Blog Header
Love Blog Academy Blog Header
Creative Blog Header
Design Tutorial Blog Header
Cute Colorful Blog Header
Sky and Clouds Blog Header
Simple Tips for an Excellent Blog Header Layout
Follow these simple tips so that you can create an excellent blog header layout:
1.Use a landscape layout: You should only use one layout for your blog header and it should be landscape. Using a landscape layout allows for all the content (elements) to be seen and read properly. Additionally, creating a blog header that uses a portrait simply does not fit with the standard layout of a blog. Using a portrait layout for the blog header while the contents of the blog are arranged in a landscape manner simply does not look attractive.
2. Use appropriate images or graphics: When creating a blog header, you can’t just use any image or graphic. As previously mentioned, if your blog is centered on Asian travel and living, you should images of Asian culture and Asian tourist spots, and not images or graphics from Europe, the Americas, or from Africa. Another example would be if your blog focuses on the latest gadgets and technological products and services, do not use images of products from the 1990s and older decades.
In regards to the number of images, there is actually no limit on the number of images you will incorporate in the blog header. As long as the images you incorporate are relevant and don’t look cluttered, you can use as many images you want. Remember that there are still other elements you still need to incorporate in the blog header such as your text, colors, and borders, so do not fill the blog header with images or graphics alone.
3. Choose the right color combinations: Speaking of colors, you need to choose the right color combinations to match with the images or graphics you will be incorporating in the blog header. Take note that the images already have their own set of colors, so choose colors that match the colors of the images. Be careful in choosing the colors, as colors that does not look well together will definitely make the blog header unattractive.
For the color combinations you can use in the blog header, there are hundreds of color combinations to choose from. For example, you can match dark blue with a lighter shade of blue. You can also match blue with other colors such as gold (yellow), pink, or even red. Blue and red are contrasting colors, so take a closer look at the said color combination or refer to other people if the said combination looks attractive.
Steps to Designing a Good Blog Header
Listed below are the steps to designing a good blog header. Make sure to follow all the steps so that you can create a visually attractive blog header that your bog visitors will enjoy looking at.
1. Create a draft or concept: Before you start creating the blog header, you first need to create a draft or concept. The concept does not have to be a detailed. You just need to list down the designs you will be incorporating, as well as the text that you will be writing down. You can simply create the draft or concept in a piece of paper, or you can do it in a graphic design software. When creating the draft, you should already be creating the final look of the blog header, as the final design will be the placed in your blog and will be seen by your blog’s visitors.
2. Purchase the necessary materials (software): Once you’ve created the concept or draft, it’s now time to purchase the necessary materials for your blog header. Actually, you don’t really need to purchase anything as you are creating a blog header for a blog. You just need a laptop and strong internet speed. The materials you will purchase in the blog header refers to software; the software pertains to the tools you need to increase traffic such as SEO tools. Remember that you don’t really need to purchase blogging tools for your blog especially if your blog is already established or have a following among your niche market.
3. Incorporate all the elements and create the blog header: After creating the draft and purchased blogging software (optional), it’s now time to create the blog header. Incorporate all the elements together and use a graphic design software such as Photoshop or Illustrator to create the header. Make sure to use the appropriate and relevant images as well use colors that will complement the images you attached in the header. A blog header should immediately catch the attention of your audience, and your users should not scroll directly to the content and view your blog header first for a few seconds. A few seconds can already be very helpful for your blog long-term.
4. Edit and revise (if necessary): Before you place the blog header in your blog, make sure to check first the header for errors in terms of the design as well as image and text placement. You definitely don’t want your blog visitors to notice errors in your blog header as it will have negative long-term effects for the blog.
Additionally, if you operate the blog with a partner or with a team, do not hesitate to consult with them if the blog header is ready to be posted in the blog. They will certainly have suggestions on the overall look and design of the said blog header.
Types of Blogs
Every blog is different, and each blog caters to a niche market. Listed below are the types of blogs:
1. Fashion blog: Probably the most popular type of blog together with travel and lifestyle blogs. Fashion blogs focus on the latest fashion trends (clothes, shoes, accessories, etc.), but there are also fashion blogs that discuss retro fashion and fashion styles during the previous decades.
2. Travel blog: Travel blogs can be quite general, as traveling is not only limited to only a single city, region, or country. Most travel blogs also contain entries or content in regards to travel tips (i.e budget, itinerary, accommodation, etc.). If you are a blogger looking for new and unique content to write about, you can go set up a travel blog (considering that you travel to a new location every few weeks or months).
3. Health and lifestyle blog: These types of blogs focus on the overall well-being of the human body. A fashion blog can also be integrated to a health and lifestyle blog. Some of the contents of a health and lifestyle blog includes fitness, medicine, fashion, and food, just to name a few. Similar to a travel blog, there are also numerous topics to write about in a health and lifestyle blog.
4. Sports blog: Sports blogs mainly focus on sports and sporting events. There are sports blogs that focus on one or a few sports and sporting events such as basketball, football, baseball, Olympics, World Cup, etc., but there are also blogs that cover each and every sporting event. Since games are played regularly, sports blogs also need to be updated regularly (i.e. every few hours for some sports).
5. Entertainment blog: Entertainment blogs are also very popular since they mostly comprise of content in regards to celebrities, movies, and television shows, just to name a few. Most entertainment blogs also cover rumors and gossip of the latest celebrity couples and breakups as well as the latest news in the entertainment industry.
Blog Header Sizes
The size blog header can be anywhere from 800–1200 pixels wide and 100–400 pixels tall.
Blog Header FAQs
What is a blog header?
A blog header is the header found at the topmost portion of the blog, and it usually acts as an introduction for the user to the blog.
Why is a blog header important?
A blog header is important because it introduces the user to the blog. The blog header also contains a summary of the contents written in the blog.
We hope you found this article informative as well as helpful when you will be creating your own blog header. We have also provided examples and templates that you can download for free.